Signed up for my first 5K (Read 1574 times)

eitan.david

Hey all runners,

After I've made a decision to set a goal of running a half marathon in October (LA Rock & Roll) I've signed up to my first 5K to get me going on May 1st. Actually my wife and two kids are going to join me for the run Smile

I've been working on a threadmill so far and usually do a run/walk combination of 40-45 minutes (4-5 times a week)

My current goal for the 5K is to run it all and not stop to walk. at any time during the race. I am looking for a plan out there that will get me into 30 minutes of running without stopping in 4 weeks. Can someone recommend the best approach?

Thanks

run slow, a little faster than walking. this will give you the best opportunity to improve later and prevent injury. use a watch to monitor your time and focus on not going too fast. the slower you go, the longer you can sustain it. the longer you sustain it, the faster youll get.

congrats on signing up! youre gonna do great.

also: if you are looking for more in depth advice you can change your user settings to make your log visible to other users. theres a lot of invaluable experience around here.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Also, it will be helpful to get some outdoor running experience before you jump into that 5K.

eitan.david

Thanks for the advice guys.

I am taking it slowly and already started to run outdoors as well

run slow, a little faster than walking. 

Congrats on signing up. One advice I have from my first 5k, don't get too aggressive. When the gun goes off take it as time to learn how to have your own pace, it'll pay off huge at your half-marathon. I rushed to pass people and ended up over-striding with bad leg pains for weeks that threw off my training and was the wrong way to learn about racing.

Just remember that it's your 5k and its other's 5k, and no one is racing the same race; so no point in getting too competitive with them.

Have fun! The atmosphere at races are great. good people.

Rookie Runner

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck.  Sounds like you're in the same boat as I am.  I just ran my first 5K this past weekend.  Feel free to check out my "First 5K" thread, as there was some good advice in there too.

eitan.david

Thank you all for the posts. I am on business travel this week but still have not skipped running on the treadmill in the hotel gym. I am excited and hope to stay motivated.
                eitan.david

Hey you all, I ran this morning my first ever 5K at the OC Marathon. It was great. After not being able to run more than 1 mile without a stop 4 weeks ago, I was able to run the all race and finish in 32:45 min. I know it is not a great time but I am very proud. Eitan
                  LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hey you all, I ran this morning my first ever 5K at the OC Marathon. It was great. After not being able to run more than 1 mile without a stop 4 weeks ago, I was able to run the all race and finish in 32:45 min. I know it is not a great time but I am very proud. Eitan

Congratulations!  We're proud of you, too!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've been working on a threadmill so far and usually do a run/walk combination of 40-45 minutes (4-5 times a week)

Just to tease you a bit, a treadmill is the machine you run on.  RA might be considered a threadmill.

eitan.david

Smile funny Anyway, now that I foundvthe outdoors, it doesnt matter how the machine is called. It is a cloth hanger moving forward Smile

sincerely silly

That's awesome! And it's great that you didn't walk at all. :-) It's not my goal yet to not walk in a 5k (and I did 3 last month) so good on you for aiming high.

shin splints are my nemesis

old Paratrooper

Well done! keep looking forward

I look my best blurry!

Way to go! You should be proud! That is great progress in just one month. Woo hoo!!! My youngest sister, who lives in MN ran her first 5K the same day in 42min! I am soooo proud of her! She is on her way to a healthier life. She also joined a running group for beginners that meets once a week called Mom's on the Run, I think. She has another 5K in August to see how she has progressed. I am going to do my best to be there when she crosses the finish line! I'm so proud of her. I have another sister in Atlanta who signed up for her first race, the Peachtree Road Race. I think she is going to do a 5K beforehand but has been running ever since the New Year. Maybe next year I could do that with her! That would be cool. Keep on running and posting!

Sounds like you are hooked.  You should be proud because that is an amazing accomplishment!  Did the wife and kids enjoy it also?  Good luck with your HM.