New Runner - First Post - Shin Splints (Read 120 times)

Listerman

I read through a great post on here about shin splints and decided to come back to get input on my situation.  I am 5'10, around 170 lbs, and have never run just to run.  I try to cycle 3 times a week, indoor soccer at least once a week but often more, and a lot of sand volleyball.

I've never been a regular runner but 20 minutes indoor on the treadmill has never been a problem.  I decided to pickup the couch25k program and I jumped straight into week 4.  I currently wear a pair of Asics GT-2000 I snagged for next to nothing and after a few runs I think they are the completely wrong pair of shoes.  Doing an at home wet foot test shows a normal foot, I lean forward in my run a bit, and I'm pretty sure I have a forefoot strike.  When running on pavement, I can barely last a mile due to anterior shin pain.  I've been trying to push through it and run every other day but the pain seems to worsen each run.

Is it possible shoes will solve this entirely or is there more I should look to do?

Thanks in advance!

Latent Runner

A few comments:

• In my experience the Asics GT-2000 is a pretty darn good shoe for a normal/neutral foot.
      • Shin Splints is one of the more nasty maladies which affect runners.  More often than not, "running through the pain" will simply make the situation worse, and worse, and worse, until you're on crutches just to walk.
      • In my experience (with my own bout of shin splints as well as those I coach), time off is pretty much the only thing which will cause them to heal quickly (others may have different advice here).
      • One thing which struck my about your post was about you being a forefoot striker.  Were it that I was coaching you I would recommend you work toward "staying over your feet" by moving to a mid-foot strike with a very slight bias toward the heel.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

it's a common new runner issue.  but it hurts.

likely your muscles are not balanced, it probably would help you to build up some strength on the front of your legs (yes, you can) doing toe taps.  while sitting at your desk tap your toes (you know... quickly lift your toes up and down like 1/4 inch while keeping your heel flat).  Do this until there is a little fatigue.  Do it 3 or 4 times a day.

also a warm compress before a run, and ice on the shins after a run can help.  but you should stop for a few days.

PeBaCa

Hi! We have basically the same stats and I'm a new-ish runner with no previous running experience. I also currently have the GT2000 Lightening shoe.

I trained with C25K and started with Week 1. From the information I've gathered over my almost 2 years of running is that C25K is meant to slowly bring your entire system into line (breathing, heart rate, muscles). Shin splints, from what I've read, are caused by overuse of the muscles. My guess is that perhaps your heart and lungs are ready for Week 4 of C25K but your muscles need some extra time. Those first few weeks may seem too easy but they are part of the process of preparing your body.

Also, you may be running too fast. Slow down. That's the best piece of advice I was given when I first started to run. Speed will come over time, all by itself.

Keep running. It's a great activity. I never thought I'd be saying that I enjoy running but I can say that now. Today, I ran 8K on an uphill route through the neighbourhood. It felt great.

King of PhotoShop

I have two suggestions for you.  First make sure it is shin splints and not something else.  A lot of things can go wrong on the anterior side of the leg that may not be shin splints and if that is the case, you should go to a sport medicine dr. to learn what it is.  So here is an easy test.

Go about two-thirds of the way down the tibia from the knee and palpate the area.  If you can feel the discomfort when you go tap tap on that spot, it's shin splints.  If you don't feel it, you have something else.

The previous poster who suggested the tapping of the foot has a good idea.  Here is another.  In old socks get on the grass, say the side of a football field and walk to the other side with your toes off the ground, i.e., only on the heels.  This strengthens those muscles around the tibia and are a good exercise for shin splints.

Sounds like you are doing a lot of other things right.  Good luck to you.  Spareribs

#artbydmcbride

I don't know about shin splints, but when I first started running my shins would burn and hurt like crazy when I ran.  The pain was intense, but it faded away after the 3rd mile or so.   And the more often I ran and the further I went, the less I got shin pain.

Runners run