Flat race. (Read 490 times)

Jeffrey

A race organizer described a 5k course to me as "flat". I ran it. I didn't think it was flat. We started at sea level, there was a decent size hill and another hill with a 150' elevation gain, then we came back down to sea level. If someone describes a course as "flat" is it a subjective thing or is there a more objective meaning to the word "flat" -- such as the net elevation gain/loss=0?
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If someone describes a course as "flat" is it a subjective thing or is there a more objective meaning to the word "flat" -- such as the net elevation gain/loss=0?
      There are some objective measures. For world record consideration, there are limits on how much net elevation change there can be on a point-to-point course. That rule is used to disqualify course that are too downhill. But for the most part it's subjective. And the net gain/loss=0 is meaningless, because a) all loop courses (courses that start and finish in the same location) have a net of 0, regardless of how much climbing there is in them b) I once ran a 25k race that started and ended at sea level. Net= 0. But lt climbed from sea level to 1500'. Twice. Nothing flat about that. c) Trent thinks almost every course but his is flat. Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pikes Peak and Jungfrau are not flat. That little run of Scout's, the one that is not quite a marathon in length, that one is not quite flat. WS100 is not flat. That may just about have it.
        Jeffrey

DW and I have hiked in Lauterbrunnen and Wengen ... those switchbacks would be a punishing run for me.
          Jungfrau
            I ran a 10K that was advertised as a "flat and fast" course. It was point to point and, while there were a couple small "hills" , it has a net loss in elevation
            2009: BQ?