I lost 3 pounds while running yesterday (Read 1034 times)

Non ducor, duco.

Its really hot here. Yesterday I ran in 90 degree plus weather and sweated like crazy. I weighed myself when I came home and I had lost 3 pounds. Is there some kind of guideline about what is too much to lose? Of course, I hydrated really well the rest of the day, but it made me wonder.
      depends on how much you weigh ... but 3 pounds for a 130 lb person seams like quite a bit... 9 mile run... Did you drink while on the run... if I was going out for 9 I would have placed water at least at the 1/2 way point but if it was hot I like water at each 3 miles

Non ducor, duco.

depends on how much you weigh ... but 3 pounds for a 130 lb person seams like quite a bit... 9 mile run... Did you drink while on the run..
        I know Im a nerd for it..but I have a fuel belt and I drained it while running. I feel pretty sick this am with sore throat and crappy ears. Dont know if its all related.

Hoping to Run Again :-(

In these days abound with warnings of hyponatremia, I've read that mild dehydration of 1-2 % of total body weight is fine. More than that and it's time to re-analyze your hydration in the same conditions.
          ~ Fly ~
          Only as much as I dream can I be.
          veggies on the run
            I know Im a nerd for it..but I have a fuel belt and I drained it while running. I feel pretty sick this am with sore throat and crappy ears. Dont know if its all related.
            Maybe you are coming down with a cold which just coincided with the run.
              I just got home from my run and lost 1.8.....with the warmer weather I think hydration and replacing electrolytes is of the utmost importance....people die from hyponatremia...need to get myself a fuel belt since my runs are getting longer now and I can definitely feel the need for fuel after about 20 minutes.
                This is an excellent example of why it's so important to stay hydrated when you run. Losing as little as 2% of your fluids will have an effect on performance. I've lost as much as 8 pounds of fluid on a run (4.5% of my body weight) and if I had neglected to replace it I could have been in serious trouble. Weigh yourself before and after a run subtracting the weight of what you drink to determine how much you lose. A pint of water or sports drink weighs about a pound. Tom
                  ok... another thing... when did the before weight happen... ? right before the run... ?
                    In my first 1/2 marathon 4 years ago, I lost nine pounds, three people had heart attacks, and one died later unfortunately. The Chicago marathon was a disaster last year as it was too hot and I was happy to see that 10000 people pulled out of the race, they should have just red flagged the race. Now I am more aware of hydration and start to hydrate 2 hours before each race while doing some warming ups for the race, you shouldn't worry too much as 3 pounds isn't much!
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Even with 40+ oz. on a 2 hour run in the Summer I can easily drop 5#s. I usually feel like crap, too. BTW, has anyone seen that new Gatorade product...Tiger, I think (designed for Tiger Woods...you know, 'cause golfers sweat so profusely Roll eyes ). Has anyone tried it? Apparently it is higher in electrolytes.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I can't remember my source but I believe I've read that 1% weight loss is OK, 2% weight loss will affect your performance and 3% could be a health risk. For 150 lb. runner that is 1.5 lbs. , 3 lbs. & 4.5 lbs. I'd say you were getting close to your safe limit.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.