This you gotta read: Sheffield Half Marathon water shortage causes chaos (Read 337 times)

Run 13.1 without water. No problem. Race 13.1 without water. Yes problem.

That's not been my experience at all.

I think I've taken a sip of water or two in a couple of half marathons, but usually nothing.

Runners run

Until relatively recently there were no water or energy drinks on marathons.

I agree that people may feel thirsty during a run, but "dehydration" is quite a strong word even for the strongest of thirsts. Real dehydration in sport events is rare even in hot climates... but there has been a lot of media hype in this regard based in part on studies that have already been proven both wrong because of the methodology and settings (treadmill vs. street) and exaggerated.

The only real signs of (benign) dehydation in a half marathon, even for the slowest runners, would be slower times... and yes a longing for a chilled pint of ale (check).

The presence of watering posts even in 10 and 5K events is mandatory (at least here in NL) just as a precaution, but I bet it causes more injuries  by slipping on plastic glasses or running into people who have stopped than it prevents.

Did you mean "half marathons"? My experience from running a few in the late 1970s that marathons always had water (and usually ERG) at aid stations. Otherwise I'm in agreement.

ScriptCal

JimR

People drink during half marathons?  What fer?

DaBurger

you didn't know? That's why everyone's stumbling around and can't walk straight afterwards

Know thyself.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, the 5Ks I've been at recently have water stations at the start/finish and at the turnaround point.  Anywhere else along the course, and you'd better be carrying your own water.

JimR

you didn't know? That's why everyone's stumbling around and can't walk straight afterwards

damn good thing they didn't run out of finishers medals

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

As a fundraiser, my band's colorguard works a water station at the local marathon.  This past year, we had the station that was at, I think it was the two-mile mark of the half, and the 25-mile mark of the full.  Though I thought the full runners came through before that point...dang, can't remember exactly.  Anyway, point is, two-mile mark of the half, and me, thinking like a guy who's run several of these and isn't usually looking for water at that point, especially in a half, figured the crush wouldn't be too terrible when the halfers got there, a pretty good chunk of them would be waiting until the four-mile station.  It's not like we didn't try to fill as many as we could, but I wasn't cracking the whip like I can when it's really crunch time, and we took a little extra time to get the tables set just so for maximum ease of flow.

Total. Rookie. Mistake.  As far as I could tell, almost every runner - a few thousand of them - wanted water/Powerade at that point.  The kids did well, but it was certainly a baptism by fire.

We'll be ready next time, but I'll just have to try and think back to my first half, and how far that seemed at the time, and how I thought I needed to consume ALL the waters or else I would die of dehydration.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

+1

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

That's not been my experience at all.

I think I've taken a sip of water or two in a couple of half marathons, but usually nothing.

Yup, same for me.   And it's a lot warmer down here.

Though, my husband generally can't race even a 5k without having a drink unless the temp is < 40f.

So it might have something to do with heat tolerance.

steph  

Seriously,  do people usually drink water during half Marathon race? My first half is coming soon. Shall I drink like what I drank in the Marathon,  every 3 miles. I am targeting 1:30:00. I don't want my drinking wastes my time if I don't need to.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

GinnyinPA

David - it depends on how hot it is and how your body handles the heat.

bhearn

Personally, I generally drink Gatorade in a half, wherever it is offered, and nothing in shorter races. It doesn't have to cost you time. Learn to grab on the run, pinching the top of the cup together, and slurping out of the spout. If I had to manually grab a cup from a table, I wouldn't bother unless I was actually thirsty.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

David - it depends on how hot it is and how your body handles the heat.

I think this - that it varies from person to person.

Some people get overheated and dehydrated racing in 70F.

I get dehydrated running 30mi in 100F.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Personally, I generally drink Gatorade in a half, wherever it is offered, and nothing in shorter races. It doesn't have to cost you time. Learn to grab on the run, pinching the top of the cup together, and slurping out of the spout. If I had to manually grab a cup from a table, I wouldn't bother unless I was actually thirsty.

+1 I usually get Gatorade about every 4 miles or twice during a half. I don't wait until I feel like I need it; I find it gives me a boost and is work the nanoseconds it takes to grab a cup and drink on the run.