Shoe size - how far up? (Read 124 times)

I have been running regularly for many years. I'm a mid-packer. I have recently being having some issues with my piriformis and there is more than normal wear on my right outer sole (where the pirifomis pain is). Not sure whether this background helps but there you are.

I traditionally have been using stability shoes - NB 860 V2 - but those were the ones that were cauing problems. I was recommended to get an Asics Nimbus 15. But for room in the toe box, I have to go up 1.5 sizes larger than my regular shoes (9). Every other shoe style fit well at the 9.5 to 10 size.  Any issues there? I'm worried that I will trip over them.

Thoughts? Is this a non-issue or should I keep trying for a different shoe?

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

880 is a neutral version of the  860.  try that instead.

---------

The updated NB 860 v3 functions much better than v2.

the 880 is updating soon (I think 6/1) the new version may work better for you

But to answer your question, I would not wear a shoe that is 1.5 sizes larger than my regular shoes.

You may be getting more room in the toe box, but the arch will be moved slightly forward which could cause problems. Then there is the "clown shoe" aspect of a longer shoe Smile

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

an amazing likeness

For the Nimbus ( and all Asics I've used over the years), I wear 0.5 up from my street shoe size. fwiw.

(caveat --  I've used about 25 pairs of Nimbus...but have moved on to another make/model, so my experience doesn't apply beyond the Nimbus 14)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I always wear my shoes large.  I could walk in a 12, but I wear a 13.

I can put a full finger width or more at the end of my toe and still be within the shoe box.

I don't trip while running in larger shoes.

I've learned how to fasten my laces properly when running in larger shoes without cinching too tight  with the laces.  With proper lacing and a longer shoe, your feet can breathe with the bigger shoe box, your toes don't jam against the end of the shoe and cause black nails, and your feet are secure within your shoe without any movement.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

BeeRunB

I once heard this was a good method for running shoes (your feet need room to swell): try on sizes until they feel ridiculously big, then come back a half size.

My every day shoes are women's 11*, which is about a men's 10.  My favorite Brooks Defyance running shoes I wear in a men's 11.5, so a full size and a half larger isn't necessarily unreasonable.  With a full finger at the end of the toe box, you do need to be sure to lace them correctly to "lock in" your heel while not over tightening over the top of your foot.

*I actually should wear 11.5s, but anything larger than 11 is special order.  My toes are generally in contact with the end of any women's shoes I wear.  So my running shoes are really only a size larger than what I should be wearing in everyday shoes.

Feeling the growl again

If I read you right you are blaming the shoes for your piriformis issues?  This is unlikely to be the case.  It is more likely your shoes are wearing different because you have altered your gait to compensate for the issues caused by your piriformis problems.  Just my experience recently returning from losing most of a year to piriformis pain.

Piriformis issues can be caused by many things, and many things mimic piriformis pain.  The root causes could include but are not limited to structural issues (ie impingement), a weak core, and nerve adhesion.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills