Lets be realistic (Read 2364 times)

Scout7

I think there is some sense in having a time expectation.  If it is your first marathon pacing it can be REALLY hard, especially if you dont have much HM and longer experience.  I think having some realistic time approximation can help reign you in the first half.

All the more reason to have greater experience with running other distances first, as well as plenty of training miles to support what you are doing.

Not a goal per se, but if you expect 4:15-4:30 is reasonable and you go out at 4:15 pace you are probably not setting yourself up for the most fun last 6 miles unless you are having a fantastic day.

That said, I think for a first marathon the predictor calculators should be taken as overly optimistic.  Go out slower than that. 

In my simple opinion, I can't tell if I'm going to have a fantastic day or not. So I find it far more effective to not worry about it. Run the race as best I can, and leave it at that. Every race I've ever had a time goal for, I've ended up not even paying attention to it after the first 2-3 miles, anyway. It became meaningless in the face of the course, the conditions, the other people, how I felt, how good I was at determining where on the course I was, etc. etc. etc. Which, again, goes back to experience. If you want to run a good race, you have to have experience to support it. If your goal is to go out and finish something, then by all means do so; it can be done with minimal training and experience. But even that means there's no time goal, and you go out and do what you can come race day.

Purdey

Self anointed title

She was, what do you call it, that little guy yelling at the rowers in the boat... 

Cox.

In my simple opinion, I can't tell if I'm going to have a fantastic day or not.  

Every race I've ever had a time goal for, I've ended up not even paying attention to it after the first 2-3 miles, anyway.  

In my Half marathons, I can predict the time I am going to run that day after I check my first mile split.  The rest of the race I check the mile splits just for data gathering, got nothing to do with if I should push harder or run easier, because I don't think I can do that on rolling courses we have here,  The course and the conditions dictate effort, not my current pace

Marathon Maniac #957

If you've done any sort of legit training program (MDRA 5/10k program or half marathon program, for example); then you saying that you are SLOW, it means that you're probably not doing certain things correctly

Not necessarily.  Some of us are just fargin' SLOW.  At our very best. 

To say that EVERYONE is capable of a sub-4 marathon with the right training is, I think, not true.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Prince of Fatness

You don't need to be fast to run a marathon under 4 hours.  9 minute miles are not even close to sprinting.  It's about endurance.  Maybe not everyone can do it, but I bet most can. 

The one thing that I dislike about cookie cutter plans is that they focus on what, the 18 weeks leading up to the race.  That's not enough.  Give me two years of running an hour a day on average, without any major lapses in training, and I bet that MOST can do it.

Not at it at all. 

You don't need to be fast to run a marathon under 4 hours.  9 minute miles are not even close to sprinting.  It's about endurance.  Maybe not everyone can do it, but I bet most can. 

The one thing that I dislike about cookie cutter plans is that they focus on what, the 18 weeks leading up to the race.  That's not enough.  Give me two years of running an hour a day on average, without any major lapses in training, and I bet that MOST can do it.

I think that if nearly anyone really ran 1 hour/day on average with no lapses in training, for 2 years, a 4 hour marathon would be a walk in the park.  As you stated, too many people go from no training to one of the 12 or 18 week programs and then marvel at those that run faster.

When someone asks me "when do you start training for the marathon" I usually respond with something like, "I never stop."

Queen of 3rd Place

Cox.

Short for coxswain. Pronounced COCKS-sen. Must be British.

Ex runner

Why is it sideways?

Lets be realistic
                  Purdey

Self anointed title

Short for coxswain. Pronounced COCKS-sen. Must be British.

Did that really need an explanation?

One of the greatest moments in English sporting commentary came during the Varsity Boat Race a few years ago:

Female commentator: "Oh isn't that nice? The wife of the Oxford President is kissing the cox of the Cambridge crew."

Yes.  Yes that is nice.

Queen of 3rd Place

Yes.

Ex runner

To say that EVERYONE is capable of a sub-4 marathon with the right training is, I think, not true.

Of course, I didn't quite necessarily mean EVERYONE--I thought I was saying that within reason.  I don't think Gordie next door is quite "capable" of sub-4 marathon...  However...

...Some of us are just fargin' SLOW.  At our very best. 

This, I don't buy that.  If anything, you're slow because you believe in that.

Cox.

Yeah, I thought it's something like that and that's why I didn't want to risk it!! ;o)

Did that really need an explanation?

One of the greatest moments in English sporting commentary came during the Varsity Boat Race a few years ago:

Female commentator: "Oh isn't that nice? The wife of the Oxford President is kissing the cox of the Cambridge crew."

Yes.  Yes that is nice.

Funny...  I saw some kids news where this little girl (about 10~12 years old) was reading the news and said: "...next news, Grand Prix..." and read the entire letters.

Hey, by the way, Purdy, is it Gordon Pirie?  Classic...

Marathon Maniac #957

This, I don't buy that.  If anything, you're slow because you believe in that.

You don't think that there are genetic limitations?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BeeRunB

You don't think that there are genetic limitations?

Secretariats are born with bigger engines.