What's best for rehydration after running? (Read 594 times)

keeponrunning

I like just straight (not chocolate) milk.  If I started off dehydrated sometimes I'll drink water before it to help rehydrate with no calories.  Today I ended up running in the heat of the day (thunderstorms this evening) so I added a little salt to the milk.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

On average, probably water for hydration alone. But in hot weather, I like cold green tea. Medium weather, chocolate milk or similar. Cold weather hot cocoa. I'm not a fan of sugary stuff for recovery. The chocolatey milk stuff works well for recovery.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
      EdithRevisited

If you ask

I can't believe nobody has voted for coke, or for (theoretically...not that I would ever try this Joking) the smug organic version of it. I hear it's great after a long run,especially if Gatorade etc give you a stomach ache and you'relactose intolerant so omgchocolatemilk is out...

Ok fine I admit it. I vote for smug organic sugar water.

After a hard race the only thing I can stomach is diet coke (fountain).   It takes HOURS until I'm able to eat anything.   I get so jealous of all the trail runners drinking beer...

Normally, I prefer water.

• Charlie Horse Half Marathon - May 25
        • PA Grand Canyon Marathon - July 27
        • Labor Pain 12 Hour Endurance - August 31 (50k...or more!)

xhristopher

Bump!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Nuun - in bubbly water :-)

Ready, go.

Just a dude.

Lately my routine has been:

After my run, water.

If it was a tough run, then a glass of chocolate milk.

Often, then more water. Not uncommon to down 40 oz of water and 16oz of chocolate milk on a hard day lately...

Before a run I sometimes grab a Gatorade.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

i like grapes...

I added what I believe is the appropriate hyperlink.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

irbic

Nothing like chilled watermelon to cool down and recover after a long humid run.  It's become a summer tradition with my running group.

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

On average, probably water for hydration alone. But in hot weather, I like cold green tea. Medium weather, chocolate milk or similar. Cold weather hot cocoa. I'm not a fan of sugary stuff for recovery. The chocolatey milk stuff works well for recovery.

+1 to the cold green tea. there's a japanese sugar free green tea I can get at any convenience store here that I love after runs. It never really gets cold enough here (Taiwan) for me to drink hot cocoa, so chocolate milk is fine for me. Oh, and beer after trail races, generally in this order - half a bottle of green tea -  a cup of chocolate milk - a can of beer - other half of the tea.

I prefer water and low fat milk as my rehydration beverages. However, I just read an article that water or a diluted sports drinks are not the best choice for rehydration after running as these drinks do not contain enough of the sugars and electrolytes that our body needs necessary to bring itself back into balance.  It always recommended to rehydrate through drinks that contains a good amount of sugars, and electrolytes such as sports drink after you exercise  for fast  recovery process.

jdmcgregor

All business

Run, shower, coffee, work, run, shower, beer, sleep, repeat.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Some anonymous angel left a cooler of these with a "Help yourself" note at one of the trailheads a few weeks back.  That was about the most delicious thing I ever tasted.

Joann Y

Run, shower, coffee, work, run, shower, beer, sleep, repeat.

Like.