Spinning (Read 4323 times)

I would consider doing a spin class, but now it comes down to sweating too much and the whole embarressment of that.    

You're embarrassed about sweating whilst exercising? Confused

I always thought the puddles of sweat after a spin class were a cool thing

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I thought sweat was a sign of increased fitness...so why would sweat be a bad thing?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

>> You're embarrassed about sweating whilst exercising? Confused

Lots of people are embarrassed about sweating during spin class.  Especially the idea that they might be slinging it onto others nearby.

To the embarrassed person: sweating is normal, sweating's gonna happen, try not to worry about it.  Everybody does it and you get a good workout.

Now let's sweat to the oldies.  And the techno.  Weee.

No kidding.  Spin at my gym is taught by multiple instructors and a few of them actually get upset if they don't see sweat dripping off you.  Heck, if I don't have to clean up a little puddle of sweat under my bike after class, I know I didn't work hard enough.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Question:  Is there really a difference between a normal everyday stationary bike and a "spin" bike?    

The answer is probably more complex then yes or no.  BUT, if you're only going for a calorie burn and can be motivated do go hard regardless of the "kind" of bike, I bet the answer is there is no difference.

If you are training for, say, an Ironman, and spend all your time on an indoor bike, it "probably" will not translate into as good of a workout as it would if you were on the road (though some people train this way, especially in cold climates).  Same with the kind of bike, a spin bike being a little closer (probably) to the geometry of a real bike than a "regular" gym bike is.  But I don't think that means one will burn more calories.

But all that aside, if you're willing to spend 45 minutes sweating your ass off, for the gains of fitness, my money would say a bike is a bike is a bike.  It's going to be all about how much you put into it, how hard you go.  If one has an advantage over the other, I'd wager it's marginal. 

Get on the bike, any bike, go hard (and eat right, as an above posted noted) and you'll lose weight quickly too.

If you really want to burn calories, though, run.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

Oh no no no.  There is a huge difference.  Go compare and you will realize it immediately. 

Question:  Is there really a difference between a normal everyday stationary bike and a "spin" bike?    

The answer is probably more complex then yes or no.  BUT, if you're only going for a calorie burn and can be motivated do go hard regardless of the "kind" of bike, I bet the answer is there is no difference.

If you are training for, say, an Ironman, and spend all your time on an indoor bike, it "probably" will not translate into as good of a workout as it would if you were on the road (though some people train this way, especially in cold climates).  Same with the kind of bike, a spin bike being a little closer (probably) to the geometry of a real bike than a "regular" gym bike is.  But I don't think that means one will burn more calories.

But all that aside, if you're willing to spend 45 minutes sweating your ass off, for the gains of fitness, my money would say a bike is a bike is a bike.  It's going to be all about how much you put into it, how hard you go.  If one has an advantage over the other, I'd wager it's marginal. 

Get on the bike, any bike, go hard (and eat right, as an above posted noted) and you'll lose weight quickly too.

If you really want to burn calories, though, run.

Lots of people are embarrassed about sweating during spin class.  Especially the idea that they might be slinging it onto others nearby.

I had a cycling evaluation yesterday, and I sweat like zoom-- er, I sweat a lot.  Quite the puddle under the bike when I was through.  And the bike was wet.  And I was talking to the trainer woman, made some gesture, and saw sweat drops go flying.  Not cool.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I had a cycling evaluation yesterday, and I sweat like zoom-- er, I sweat a lot.  Quite the puddle under the bike when I was through.  And the bike was wet.  And I was talking to the trainer woman, made some gesture, and saw sweat drops go flying.  Not cool.

We must be twins.

I'm the girl who has sweat drops dripping at the end of her ball cap.

I'm the girl who has to change ball caps at least twice if I'm doing a boot camp class ( yes, even in the winter )  If I'm working out inside, I sweat.   mean really sweat. 

I took a silly Jazzercise class one, and the sweat poured onto the gym floor, and someone slipped on it. 

Now that's not cool.

Oh,  yeah, I was sweating so bad Tuesday, that I was afraid to pass anyone, since the sweat was bouncing off my arms and hands.   

I'm gross.  I sweat more than most people, that's for sure.  Although, when my father comes to visit, he carries a hand towel for a sweat rag !

- Anya

dennrunner

We must be twins.

I'm the girl who has sweat drops dripping at the end of her ball cap.

I'm the girl who has to change ball caps at least twice if I'm doing a boot camp class ( yes, even in the winter )  If I'm working out inside, I sweat.   mean really sweat. 

I took a silly Jazzercise class one, and the sweat poured onto the gym floor, and someone slipped on it. 

Now that's not cool.

Oh,  yeah, I was sweating so bad Tuesday, that I was afraid to pass anyone, since the sweat was bouncing off my arms and hands.   

I'm gross.  I sweat more than most people, that's for sure.  Although, when my father comes to visit, he carries a hand towel for a sweat rag !

Oh, stop it! You're getting me all excited. Big grin

drrbradford

Sweating is not gross. It's a beautiful biological mechanism which was one of many which led to the dominance of mankind over the rest of the animal kingdom. Pronation is another beautiful mechanism but don't get me started on that.

Anyway, why not take a towel or two to the spin class with you? It's quite common to see people with small towels during spinning or circuits classes. Headbands and wristbands should help out a bit, too. Spinning is an excellent way to get a good hard workout, if I didn't run then I'd be there all the time.