Tyrannized by Exercise? (Read 809 times)

derek

My wife found this in today's newspapers and thought that it applied to me. I'm sure it probably applies to almost everyone at RunningAhead :-)

Derek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You know, I think it's strange that anyone would criticize being focused on losing weight/changing body shape, keeping elaborate records, or giving exercise top priority. What the hell? Out of one side of their mouths the so-called "experts" tell us that the best way to be healthy and lose or maintain weight is consistent, frequent exercise, but then out of the other side of their mouths they are saying that doing so is unhealthy? Hello?! Make up your minds, folks! Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Let me just say: Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ... oh, and Ha ha ha. Also - ha. Seriously. I just shot coffee out my nose after reading that. That really hurts. How about a "you're going to laugh" warning next time? Modified to add: Ha ha ha ha. Chortle. Snort. Giggle. Snert. Chuckle. Guffaw. There, that's the word. Guffaw. Modified again to add: So since when does exercise come in a can? Maybe if their copy editor was as diligent about his job as we are about running, he might not have missed that pretty funny typo.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

You'll ruin your knees!

How dare you, Eric??? You are enabling the tyranny! ...thanks, dude! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Modified again to add: So since when does exercise come in a can? Maybe if their copy editor was as diligent about his job as we are about running, he might not have missed that pretty funny typo.
            Ha, I didn't even catch that!

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I am guilty on all counts except the reducing weight bullet. I skipped a date once because it got in the way of my run. Hahahah. I feel like such a loser Big grin But, I take offense to the keeping elaborate records on this site. I happen to like my log.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But, I take offense to the keeping elaborate records on this site. I happen to like my log.
                Were it not for keeping elaborate records, I doubt I'd still be running or have my current AWESOME cholesterol/triglyceride #s. The writers of that little blurb can bite me on my still chubby butt.

~ Sarah Kay

LMBO! This is actually a defined condition! And look what other traits apply: "Obligatory exercisers may also be achievement oriented, compulsive, independent, neurotic, addictive, or a perfectionist, but not all experts in this field agree on the characteristics. Although technically different conditions, obligatory exercise and overtraining share similar characteristics, including anxiety, apathy, chronic fatigue, depression, impaired concentration, loss of self-confidence, insomnia, and muscle soreness." "The good news for the obligatory exerciser is that the condition can be successfully treated. The person has to recognize that his or her behavior is not normal and not productive, then support, education, guidance, and therapeutic approaches can bring exercise, fitness, and performance back into the proper perspective." Well that's a relief! Big grin I wonder what a day in the life of John, Alayne, or Doug is like!? Hmm.

You'll ruin your knees!

"Obligatory exercisers may also be achievement oriented, compulsive, independent, neurotic, addictive, or a perfectionist, ...
                    Well dang, let's just line 'em up and shoot 'em!
                    "The good news for the obligatory exerciser is that the condition can be successfully treated.
                    ...yeah...go out for a run at least 1x/day! Fill in spare time with biking/strength training... I can't believe this kind of stuff even gets published! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Scout7

I would really say I'm tyrannized by it. I relish in it.
                        I'd much rather be tyrannized by exercise than by the extra weight, tendon pain, and general unhappiness that plagued me for years. Putting exercise first meant I got off by butt and DID SOMETHING about the things in my life that needed to change. Consider me a loyal subject of a benevolent ruler!
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'd much rather be tyrannized by exercise than by the extra weight, tendon pain, and general unhappiness that plagued me for years. Putting exercise first meant I got off by butt and DID SOMETHING about the things in my life that needed to change. Consider me a loyal subject of a benevolent ruler!
                          Yep. And I have always had insomnia, but it's much better with running. It's that damned Pace Bunny that keeps me awake, nowadays, not the running itself! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay