first half marathon-- 7 months to train (Read 471 times)

music_girl117

I feel your pain; hard winter here too.  Do you have a good insulated thermos?  Maybe you could pack a hot drink (coffee, tea, hot chocolate) and wrap it in up a blanket and leave it in your car, then come back to the car once or twice during the long run for a sip.  For me personally, nothing works as well as a hot drink to warm me up.  Even a hot shower can't compare.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

onefatchick

Great idea Music Girl!  I will give that a try today.

onefatchick

The hot chocolate was wonderful during and after my 11 mile run yesterday!  I was cold by the end, my lips were blue, my face was frozen but the teeth weren't chattering by the end of the run like normal. The temps were high 20s and the wind was less than 5 mph.  I think the low wind speed probably made the biggest difference in my comfort.  I also didn't work up quite the sweat either, the path was snow covered and it slowed me down considerably.  But loved the hot chocolate, especially at the end!!

music_girl117

Yay!!  Yeah, hot chocolate is pretty amazing after a cold run.  The thought of it helps get me through. Smile  You're right about the wind though; I agree that it makes a huge difference.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

SMART Approach

How cute.

It took me a while to figure out you are out East where you have had a million inches of snow. If you are not running on the treadmill, then you are not running at all.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

mikeymike

It took me a while to figure out you are out East where you have had a million inches of snow. If you are not running on the treadmill, then you are not running at all.

Pretty much. I did my first outdoor long run of February on Sunday though. 18 miles with most of it going back and forth on a 2-mile stretch of parkway with just enough of a shoulder to safely run. It sure beat the treadmill.

Runners run

onefatchick

It's history.  So glad to have that over and done with!  And 13.1 is still intimidating.

Official time of 1:51:49 for an 8:33 pace.  Good enough for 1st place in the 55-59 division! http://www.mtecresults.com/runner/show?race=2974&email=1&rid=839

Went out too fast in miles 1 and 2 (damn I didn't want to do that!) and had a horrible side stitch start to develop in mile 3.  Slowed it down some in 4 and it still hurt the rest of the way, but not bad enough to make me stop and walk at any time. Not too sure of my splits as my watch was acting kinda funny but will go with what it gave me (the course was certified and watch gave me a time of 1:51:38 at 13.2 miles with an 8:27 pace so it was close but really don't know what happened in mile 5) Did not take any water or Gatorade throughout and never felt thirsty

8:12

8:12

8:29

9:26 (didn't slow down that much)

7:24 (no way in hell)

8:16

8:18

8:21

8:27

8:27

8:45

8:37

8:47

No negative splits but that's ok.  Learned a lot; and already have changes in mind that I am going to make in my training for the next half in the fall.

Can't thank everyone enough here who contributed to input on this thread and on the "Intimidation" thread.  "Run the mile you are in"  kept me pretty focused in the second 6.55 miles.

GinnyinPA

Congratulations!  You did great, especially given the too fast start.  It slowed you down, but not that much.  And an AG win is always fun.

an amazing likeness

Way to slam out a great result.  Some perspective...the average half marathon time (women) is something close to 2:19 and you toasted that in your first outing.

I approach half marathons as the opening 5mi + 5mi + 5km; your splits looks really good in those terms...opened a bit too fast, but you never hit the 'death fade' so common in the last 5km which plagues those who start too fast. This is a tribute to your focus on longer runs in your training.

Great run, great result!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Outstanding first HM! WTG!

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Great job.

That is a great time for your first half.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

emmbee

queen of headlamps

So happy for you!  What a great run!

Joann Y

Very cool. Nice work!

onefatchick

Thanks All!

Milktruck, I agree the focus on longer training runs (some with hard effort) really helped in those final miles.  I tried to get comfortable with being uncomfortable on many of my longer training runs.  If I hadn't known that feeling during my training I may have been tempted to walk at some points along the course but instead had the confidence to know I could push through the pain.  Today I have slight residue soreness in my left quad and knee, but nothing that a short EASY run with no downhill running and some ice won't take care of.

From the Internet.

Thanks All!

Milktruck, I agree the focus on longer training runs (some with hard effort) really helped in those final miles.  I tried to get comfortable with being uncomfortable on many of my longer training runs.  If I hadn't known that feeling during my training I may have been tempted to walk at some points along the course but instead had the confidence to know I could push through the pain.  Today I have slight residue soreness in my left quad and knee, but nothing that a short EASY run with no downhill running and some ice won't take care of.

Congrats on a great first half! Bolded statement is so, so critical for good racing and something so many people overlook - it's a skill I picked up last year training for shorter distance races, and have carried it over into my half marathon training as well (my first is 2 weeks away now).