2013 Sub 1:30 Half Marathon (Read 1808 times)

In.  Was in good shape for an attempt this October but ended up injured a week out, so definitely on the goal list for 2013.  Stretch goal is sub-88 but there's a lot of work to get my 94:58 PR down to sub-90 already.  Have already entered one in April, will look for a couple more as I firmly believe the best way to get good at racing any distance is to race that distance.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

What do you think would be a good plan to prepare a half marathon ? Do you just take it as part of a marathon preparation or do you have a plan with a focus on the half marathon ? I would like to find something that builds up to the marathon at the same time but not neglecting the half. Has anyone experience with the Pfitz half marathon plan (from his book "Road Racing for Serious Runners) ? What would you recommend

stirun - up to this point I've only run a HM as part of a marathon cycle. This spring will be first time I am doing HM as a goal race. I have a lot of friends who swear by Pfitz and have raced BIG PRs doing 18/55 or 18/70. They have also ran a HM at some point there in cycle too.

dallison - Harrisburg was well orgnaized race. Definitely do again, but those hills 18-20 were not fun.Smile

setantae - that's sound logic and hope that pays off for me with 2 HMs this cycle. Might try to squeeze another in before Frederick.

Here's how my week went down last week:

M -7.25m @ 8:25 on hilly 10k course - probably on fast side than I normally run

T - SRD/30min spin/strength/core

W - 7.65m @ 9:04

Th - 8.7m @ 8:58

F - 8.81m @ 8:49

Sa - 11.5m @ 8:49 Hilly route

Su - SRD/30min spin/strength/core

44.06m

Just getting started with Daniels, but a solid start last week building my mileage back up post-marathon.

I've updated everyone to original post who are going sub1:30 or otherwise. Once some of you guys lock in your races I will update as well.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

dallison

registered pw

You most definitely are right on that. I was pretty good until then and then the wheels fell off. I lost a lot of time after that and was on pace for 3:30-35 

stirun - up to this point I've only run a HM as part of a marathon cycle. This spring will be first time I am doing HM as a goal race. I have a lot of friends who swear by Pfitz and have raced BIG PRs doing 18/55 or 18/70. They have also ran a HM at some point there in cycle too.

dallison - Harrisburg was well orgnaized race. Definitely do again, but those hills 18-20 were not fun.Smile

setantae - that's sound logic and hope that pays off for me with 2 HMs this cycle. Might try to squeeze another in before Frederick.

Here's how my week went down last week:

M -7.25m @ 8:25 on hilly 10k course - probably on fast side than I normally run

T - SRD/30min spin/strength/core

W - 7.65m @ 9:04

Th - 8.7m @ 8:58

F - 8.81m @ 8:49

Sa - 11.5m @ 8:49 Hilly route

Su - SRD/30min spin/strength/core

44.06m

Just getting started with Daniels, but a solid start last week building my mileage back up post-marathon.

I've updated everyone to original post who are going sub1:30 or otherwise. Once some of you guys lock in your races I will update as well.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

You most definitely are right on that. I was pretty good until then and then the wheels fell off. I lost a lot of time after that and was on pace for 3:30-35 

dallison - sounds a lot like my race too unfortnately.Smile I find it you learn more from the tough races than you do the good ones.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Also in. Came up short in 2012 @ 1:35Tight lippedx. Haven't signed up yet, but most likely the Scotiabank 'Vancouver Half on June 23. I feel like I'm in better shape even from my last attempt in October...fingers crossed!

stirun

Thanks, jedigunnie26.2. I will try Pfitz in any cases, just not sure which one.

stirun - up to this point I've only run a HM as part of a marathon cycle. This spring will be first time I am doing HM as a goal race

They're not really inconsistent. A goal HM is fine as part of the build up to a goal marathon...

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Thanks, jedigunnie26.2. I will try Pfitz in any cases, just not sure which one, and I will also have a tune-up HM in the cycle. I´ll run another HM in April and maybe in one June. For the April one I´m looking for a good HM plan (something between 10 - 14 weeks). Every recommendation is welcome...Smile

This spring I did Hudson HM #2 plan. I got sick 2 days before race and had a DNS, but felt plan had me well prepared.  PR'd twice at 5k distance following plan. It's in his book which is a good read regardless if you use plans.

Up Next:

???

stirun

This spring I did Hudson HM #2 plan. I got sick 2 days before race and had a DNS, but felt plan had me well prepared.  PR'd twice at 5k distance following plan. It's in his book which is a good read regardless if you use plans.

I have the Hudson book and I´ll take a look into it.

Walk-Jogger

I'm in on this.

I'm signed up to run the Snake River Half on March 3, 2013. It's a nice flat course and is fast if the weather cooperates. I ran this race in 1:26:00 in 2011, and 1:27:16 in 2012, so trending in the wrong direction, but still think I can go under 1:30 again if my training comes together this next couple of months. 

My long-term goal is to run a half under 1:30 every year until I can't, however long that may be. Hopefully I have another year or two to go.

Retired &  Loving It

csab

Hi,

I was (am) the maintainer of the sub-1:30 thread in 2012 at RWOL, but now I've started to read this one, too, and a question came up, so I decided to respond.

What do you think would be a good plan to prepare a half marathon ? Do you just take it as part of a marathon preparation or do you have a plan with a focus on the half marathon ? I would like to find something that builds up to the marathon at the same time but not neglecting the half. Has anyone experience with the Pfitz half marathon plan (from his book "Road Racing for Serious Runners) ? What would you recommend

The Pfitzinger-Douglas Road Racing book is my book of choice for every distance shorter than the marathon. It is a fairly simple approach that works very well for me. I ran my first HM this spring (1:27Tight lippedx - I forgot), and then I ran 1:25:18 on November 3 on a hilly course. I signed up for the 500 festival mini in Indianapolis in May, and I'm determined to run under 1:25, maybe even 1:23.

Ok, I'm in for this.

For full disclosure, the big picture for me right now is the marathon, but I'll only do one this year (well, possibly two). I have two minutes to shave off my HM and my FM times to hit my goals (1:29:59 / 3:19:59), but obviously the HM will be the tougher of the two. 

My PR is 1:32 and my first shot at going under 1:30 will be at the beginning of April. Don't know why, but I can't envision it yet. On the other hand, I was coming off an injury (ITB) before the 1:32 last year, and was treating it more as a tune up for a FM a month later. 

I'm finally ready to start base building now and hope to get to about 50 mpw. What I'm sure of is that this time I need to do some HMP work starting by mid-late January. Easy runs for now.

stirun

Hi,

I was (am) the maintainer of the sub-1:30 thread in 2012 at RWOL, but now I've started to read this one, too, and a question came up, so I decided to respond.

The Pfitzinger-Douglas Road Racing book is my book of choice for every distance shorter than the marathon. It is a fairly simple approach that works very well for me. I ran my first HM this spring (1:27Tight lippedx - I forgot), and then I ran 1:25:18 on November 3 on a hilly course. I signed up for the 500 festival mini in Indianapolis in May, and I'm determined to run under 1:25, maybe even 1:23.

Thank you very much csab, glad to have you here. I think Pfitzinger HM-plan is what I´m going to do

nickshawn

Sir Mix a Lot

You can go ahead and add me to the list as well. Probably racing the Andrew Jackson on March 16th.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Heh, if I'm allowed to specify I'm really after sub-1:35 rather than sub 1:30, I'm in!  My current PR is 1:37:01 but my two most recent goal half marathons were both 1:38xx, so I have a ways to go even for my interim goal.