Running in Suburbia is so. darn. boring. (Read 297 times)

Cool Jump Suit

Yesssss, I forgot about your Costa issue.  That guy was an asshole.  I forgot too, if you come over to Noblesville, Potter's Bridge is a great place for a run too.  Just follow Allisonville North.

Heh.  Don't get me started on Sam Costa.  Grating barely covers it.  Smile

Yes, some of the greenways are trails in disguise.  I have not run them recently, but the levee trails along some of the river greenways are pretty decent.  Thought they run through some pretty sketchy areas on occasion.  Also make sure you check out Eagle Creek, a short drive from Carmel, good, hilly trail loop ~6 miles.

So bittersweet,
    This tragedy
    Won't ask for absolution;
    This melody,
    Inside of me,
    Still searches for solution.
    A twist of faith,
    A change of heart
    Cures my infatuation.
    A broken heart, 
    Provides the spark
    For my determination.

Feeling the growl again

Yesssss, I forgot about your Costa issue.  That guy was an asshole.  I forgot too, if you come over to Noblesville, Potter's Bridge is a great place for a run too.  Just follow Allisonville North.

I don't think I shared all of the RD's emails with you.  Priceless.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I know. I just need to suck it up and deal with it. 

This. 

Dave

Cool Jump Suit

When you get  a chance.  These I gotta hear.   BTW, I think registration for Costa just opened up for 2014.

I don't think I shared all of the RD's emails with you.  Priceless.

So bittersweet,
          This tragedy
          Won't ask for absolution;
          This melody,
          Inside of me,
          Still searches for solution.
          A twist of faith,
          A change of heart
          Cures my infatuation.
          A broken heart, 
          Provides the spark
          For my determination.

You'll ruin your knees!

Try mixing it up... particularly if you can run at night... hit a golf course or two... start at the closest access point and run from tee box to the edge of the green for that hole, skirt around the fringe of the green and proceed to the next tee box, repeat until you have a full round... or two.  Some sweet running right there!  Night time is the best, but daytime can be good in foul weather when greens keepers and golfers are not around.  Some stealth may be required depending on how adamant the course is about pedestrians on the property... be respectful and don't trash the greens!  Hopefully you are within a mile or two of one...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Do you have a GPS watch?   Just go do some random routes.  You can use the map feature to find your way back if you get lost.  I've found some great routes by just randomly running down roads.

Sultan of slug

Ha! I grew up in Carmel and go back a couple of times a year to visit family. Running there is always brutal for me, too. I briefly considered the Carmel marathon as an excuse to go back for a visit, but then it occurred to me how unfathomably boring and awful that would be - a circle of hell unto itself.

I ran cross-country there in high school, so I sometimes try to retrace those routes. The nostalgia keeps the boredom at bay - plus the routes are mostly through the city's old neighborhoods, which aren't as boring or homogeneous.

You could do loops around the cross-country course: There's about 1k in the woods by the soccer field ("Agony Hill" is/was fun!) and probably another 1k around the grassy field/woods trail up off 136th (there used to be a grassy field just opposite the woods, but they paved over it after I left). Repeat.

Feeling the growl again

Ha! I grew up in Carmel and go back a couple of times a year to visit family. Running there is always brutal for me, too. I briefly considered the Carmel marathon as an excuse to go back for a visit, but then it occurred to me how unfathomably boring and awful that would be - a circle of hell unto itself.

I have run the Carmel Marathon 1.3 times.  Smile

There are far more boring routes out there, and the race is well run.  Since you get to run in the road a lot of the issues I've encountered with running in Carmel are alleviated.  The only negative thing I can say about the race is that it does have a lot of turns.  Which, I didn't even notice until someone pointed it out to me afterwards.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Get a treadmill, use it for a while, then all your outdoor runs will be exciting.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Everyone has their preferences but I my favorite runs are the ones where I get to see the city "waking up".

I love the pre-dawn runs, before the city has started to awake.  I like the solitude and, ironically, the friendly "good morning" from the occasional other runner on the dark trail.

delicate flower

A rail trail goes through my suburbia and extends for more miles in either direction than I'll ever be able to run in one shot.

This photo I snapped last week is pretty typical of the amount of car, bike, and foot traffic I typically have to deal with on this trail.  Only problem is that if I want hills, I have to take to the roads.

<3

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I took this picture from Gravelly Point this training cycle.  Not quite the Lincoln Memorial but pretty spectacular.

There was a thread earlier this year where people couldn't understand why people would chose to live in an urban environment.  Everyone has their preferences but I my favorite runs are the ones where I get to see the city "waking up".

Yes, my husband and I enjoyed our early morning runs on Mt Vernon Trail when we've stayed in Crystal City.

steph  

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Take up graffiti.  Make the route interesting!

But for legal solutions, +1 to podcasts/audiobooks/music.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Your run is only as boring as you want it to be I think. I have run countless laps underneath our giant office complex. I haven’t added them up, but I would guess more than half my running this year has been on this 0.6 mile loop of crushed gravel interrupted by stretches of concrete, weaving underneath a quarter mile long four story high block of identical offices resting on 10 foot stilts in a valley off the highway. 1,000 miles of laps (this year). Under a building. And it never gets old. I do everything but long runs here – easy morning warmups, tempo runs, intervals. I know every stupid inch of that path, how my run is going based on which column I’m passing at what time. I’ve crafted a million email responses out there, practiced a hundred presentations. Seen some weird things – a dead baby alligator, a guy walking with a hummingbird on his finger, people taking phone interviews on their cell phones outside. And seen the same things a thousand times – the lady who wears a coat no matter what the temperature and will step 10 feet out into the road if she sees me coming – the security guard who winks at me every day – the same people eating lunch in their office, the same UPS driver making his delivery. As long as I have my brain for company, not sure any route could ever be boring.

3939x

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                              TJoseph

You could always run it in the dark when you can't see anything.  Combine that with the Zombies, Run! app for your phone and you could have an interesting run.