Bikes (Read 703 times)

Running Dad

I guess this is the right place to put this, if not I apologize. I'm looking for a road bike that I can afford. After going to a couple of bike shops yesterday I kinda felt that biking is a very 'elitist' sport. I really don't mean to offend anyone. It's just that every time I went in to a shop and said this, 'I'm looking for a no frills entry level road bike', this was the general reply, 'Brand x starts at 750$ and goes up from there while Brand y starts at 1150$ and goes up from there.' What's with that. Are there any bikes out there that are a little more cheaper? Right now with the 2 kids I just can't afford that and the wife thinks I have to many hobbies as it is, including running although I haven't spent quite that much on equipment. I just want to get started somewhere and I know that there are some cyclists here and was looking for some input on bikes. Right now budget is around 500$ with the ability to upgrade later on. Thanks.
    Things to do this year:
    Not get an injury
    Things done this year:
    Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
      Look at Jamis frames. They make a really good entry level road bike. (look at the Ventura series) But I think you will be hard pressed to find anything under $700. Good luck
        Have you checked Craigslist? A lot of entry level bikes show up there as the people who bought them decide to upgrade or decide that they just don't like biking. Make sure the bike fits, you get a good deal and inspect the bike for damage. I'm in a similar position. I've got a 20+ year old entry level sport touring bike that actually fits me (short females are not a big market, I guess) and I'm just looking to upgrade the components. I'm getting a lot of 'just replace it with this $1000 bike' attitude from my LBS. I just don't have a grand laying around and I don't ride enough to justify getting another bike.
        Have you got a flag?

Giant Flaming Dork

Also check out ebay. Even in the $500 range, it's worth it to pay for a low milage used bike - even when shipping is $75+. I wound up with an almost new $1700 bike for 900. I'm sure you could find the same discount on the $1000 ones you're seeing at LBS.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Member Since 2008

I spent around $200 on a road bike from Walmart and peddled it around for about a year, then saved up and bought a nice lightweight bike for around $1300. Big difference! Like night and day. With road bikes, the lighter they are the more expensive they are, and the lighter they are, the faster and more comfortable they are.

Runner

if you've never owned a road bike before find a good Local Bike Shop and get an entry level bike. I started out with a Giant because they put a little bit better componentry on their frames than some of the others and still had good geometry. The local shop can help you with adjusting the derailluers/ truing wheels/ and do other minor repairs when they happen... ebay and others cannot. If you see an internet deal tell the LBS and they will often price match it for you. Many companies use only house components(stem/post/etc.) so steer clear of these because typically house brands of components are not as well suited for you as a mix with easton/thompson/etc. Good luck! Check out Road Bike Review, and if you think you might get into it look at triathlon bikes too so you won't look at those later on. Also consider that if you stay in the sport then you will upgrade pretty quick. I broke down and bought a Cervelo Carbon Soloist last year. Also a lot of shops have pretty awesome financing deals compared to other industries(e.g. 12 months same as cash on one of my bikes). Otherwise I never would have bought such an expensive rig.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Heyo, self-designated bike guru checkin' in. This is a pretty dang common question, and I've got a fair amount of experience with helping to answer it, as a result of riding with the most awesome charity team in the whole universe for the last three years (see mine siggy down there). I've seen a lot of people buy their first road bike. What you're seeing isn't elitism by any means, it's simply economics. Most bikes sold in this country are mountain bikes, and so there's been more competition to build them at low cost. There really aren't any Wal-Mart type road bikes (well, there's one, but it uses a number of MTB components) pulling the rest of the market downwards. My "standard" advice is to budget $1000 to get started road biking. This gets a good starter bike - along the lines of a Trek 1.2 or similar - as well as a helmet, a basic tool kit, a couple of spare tubes, an air pump, and some clothes. The good starter bike will be a serious machine, durable, precise, and maintainable (maintainability is a big problem with really cheap Wal-Mart bikes), and worth some upgrades. It won'te be so costly that you'll feel like you wasted money if you stop riding in a couple of years; it won't be a "dream bike," either, but it won't make you dislike riding, which is important - a cheap bike you hate is wasted money. As for buying off Craig's List or eBay, yeah, it can be done, but I'm leery of it, and not so much for the possibility of getting ripped off. Bar none, the most important thing about a road bike is FIT. A good bike shop will fit you properly for your bike, and will make adjustments, and will even swap out the saddle if need be. You can take a bike purchased elsewhere in for that kind of service, but you'll pay for it; my guess is that you wouldn't come out that far ahead. It sounds to me like you need to shop for a shop. I completely understand how some places, staffed by young racer types, seem to look down their noses at recreational riders. The best shops understand that helping someone with their first bike will bring about a long-term relationship. The first question any good shop should ask is "what kind of riding do you want to do?" You need a place that's about bikes and bike culture first, and making lots of money second. Buying in late fall or winter can help bring the price down, particularly if you can find a bike that's being replaced by a new model in the following year. Your hypothetical great bike shop might be able to help you find a local used bike, too; mine maintains a classified ad page on its web site. You can also join your local JDRF Ride to Cure Diabetes team; Cannondale is a sponsor, and gives registered riders 20% off any of their products, from $5 water bottles to $9000 Liquigas Team Super Sixes. Of course, you gotta do some fundraising, but there's a lovely ride in Asheville in early August that has a lower fundraising minimum... Or you could just say screw it and get yourself a nice shiny custom Seven! did

My sweet new crank!

Becase I work there I have to recommend that you really take a serious look at the value Schwinn provides. Read up on the reviews of the Peleton and Fastback bikes. Alloy or Carbon, you get HUGE value. A lot of shops will not push you into a Schwinn, because of history and that you can buy at Wal Mart. BUT, they are not bad bikes. FYI a former Tour De France winner was on a Schwinn Peleton in the recent past, and happened to be VERY impressed, it was a $3000 off the shelf bike vs. his custom perfect fit bike. You may also hear a lot about bikes, any brand, being made in China or Taiwain, vs USA. Only the HIGH end bikes are made in the USA, custom everything. There are not a ton of asian vendors that make the moajority of bikes in the market. MANY of the same production lines are making the variety of brands that are at different shops. Bottom line, ride several bikes, at different shops. You will want post purchase service, not all shops meet everyones needs. On the other hand you can get a bike serviced anywhere. Ride a $1000 bike then get on a $3000 bike, learn about it and make sure they FIT it to you. (maybe even negotiate the price you are willing to pay....)
                  Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO

Running Dad

Well guys I went out and got one. The wife was nice enough to let me have my birthday and xmas for the next couple of years early. I went with the Trek 1.2, and here's the reasons; I don't really have a lbs where I live and the closest is 20 miles away. The owner there was the best out of all that I talked to, I checked out 4 shops total. He's the only one that didn't push anything or tell me that I had to spend a lot of money and he was more than happy to help with any question I had. It comes in tomorrow and I'm really excited. Gonna be alot of side street riding until I get comfortable and then hopefully some highway, although all I have is 2 laners around me.. gotta figure something out. Thanks for all the help!
                    Things to do this year:
                    Not get an injury
                    Things done this year:
                    Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??