Sore after a race (Read 778 times)

I ran my first race since September 2nd this pass weekend. I woke up the next day sore and I am still sore today. After the two easy runs that i did since my race i felt great, but when i wake up in the morning my legs are tired and heavy. When i ran in college it would take me two days for the soreness in my legs to go away. Does anyone else experiance this? Is this normal? Am i just getting old?

Orion Goals: 5k 18:30 10K 38:00 Marathon 3:10

va

See DOMS. I've experienced this. I think it's normal. Especially if you raced hard...

Another Passion

Ibuprofen is your friend, OJ. Big grin Hey, I saw on your profile you work in a shipyard in Marinette. My parents grew up in Menominee, right across the river. Not "in a van... down by the river" though. Roll eyes

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

jcasetnl

I ran my first race since September 2nd this pass weekend. I woke up the next day sore and I am still sore today. After the two easy runs that i did since my race i felt great, but when i wake up in the morning my legs are tired and heavy. When i ran in college it would take me two days for the soreness in my legs to go away. Does anyone else experiance this? Is this normal? Am i just getting old?
          I assume you were training for the race? If you trained up to the race but you were still really sore it might mean you're a little burnt out and need to take a weak off. Weight trainers/body builders usually take a week off every 7 - 12 weeks. Other factors - you might have been dehydrated or had poor electrolyte balance. Also, you might try an electrolyte recovery drink immediately after the race and protein shakes. I drink an electrolyte drink after the race, followed by a protein drink. Then I drink another protein drink about 4 - 6 hours later. And then another an hour or so before bed. That's what works for me, but your mileage may vary.
            Ibuprofen is your friend, OJ. Big grin Hey, I saw on your profile you work in a shipyard in Marinette. My parents grew up in Menominee, right across the river. Not "in a van... down by the river" though. Roll eyes
            It is a small world.

I didn't think about the hydration or electrolyte issue. Though, I did pig out on the after the race bagles, bannas and sports drink. They even had ice cream. That was great. Know that it has been a couple of days, I am not sore anymore. I thiink i will do more race specific speed work outs before my next race. Hopefully this will help with the DOMS effect. Thanks for the input Orion

I second the advice of VA. Also, I always run the 2 days after a hard race, long run, or a marathon regardless of what it takes. Sometimes it's only a couple very slow miles but it minimizes and sometimes wards off DOMS. Depending on race length, I may take 2-4 days off follwing the 2 running days post-race.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.