What kind of cross training? (Read 1062 times)

What kind of cross training to you do and what is your favorite?  What other forms of cross training do you want to try?

I weight train, run (road and treadmill mostly), and swim.  Weight training is my favorite.  I'm very interested in trail running, I've only done it a few times, but I really want to get more into it.  I've thought about giving trail biking a try as well.

I'm very seriously thinking about entering a tri next year.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I like lifting just as much as running . I do some yoga but not enough. I don't like much else.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

#artbydmcbride

I hop around frantically to music.

Runners run

I pretend I'm Spiderman.  Only with rocks, not buildings.  Some of the rocks are in buildings.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

I hate cross training.....I only like to run (you'd think I'd be better at it)...

The only other exercise I like is YOGA.......

Champions are made when no one is watching

noraW

Part-time Ninja

I like weight training first and running second. Right now I'm in the middle of a Body Beast rotation and loving it. I'm running about 4 times a week as well. I'm really interested in trying Crossfit but time doesn't allow for it just yet. I also do the "work full time + mother of 3 boys" dance on a daily basis, I would consider this full body circuits : )

Women are like angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we continue to fly, on a broom, we're flexible like that...

Fanilow

I have a stationary bike which is great if it's super hot or super cold out...or if I just can't get out there. It's booooooring though. So, I lurk the RA forums and it goes faster. I noticed that my knees stopped yelling at me after I started using the bike. That was a nice side effect.

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

MrNamtor

I like weight training first and running second. Right now I'm in the middle of a Body Beast rotation and loving it. I'm running about 4 times a week as well. I'm really interested in trying Crossfit but time doesn't allow for it just yet. I also do the "work full time + mother of 3 boys" dance on a daily basis, I would consider this full body circuits : )

Hey Nora, good to see you here!

To the OP: I do body weight strength training, pushups pullups burpies supermans flutterkicks etc. I actually have an exercise system that I developed (put together  from military, martial arts, yoga and parkour conditioning) which I've been doing for about a year and a half, along with running.

MrNamtor

I'm very interested in trail running, I've only done it a few times, but I really want to get more into it.  I've thought about giving trail biking a try as well.

I'm very seriously thinking about entering a tri next year.

I think the type of training that involves sudden adjustments in motion and movement develop a type of fitness that can't be replicated through other means.

Better I Leave

Lift hard and heavy. Run your ass off. Eat well. Spread love and kindness for to round it out...Smile

noraW

Part-time Ninja

Hey Nora, good to see you here!.

Hey Namtor, good to see you as well! What does your week look like with the workout program you're on? In the past I have done rotations of specific things in addition to running. I've done kettlebells, yoga, heavy weights, bodyweight, but I have a hard time combining things in a well rounded fashion.

Women are like angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we continue to fly, on a broom, we're flexible like that...

toyger

I swim as part of a masters team and also weight train. I try to do yoga occasionally.

Jen

Spread love and kindness for to round it out...Smile

That is excellent cross training!

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Butter Tart

I swim 2-3 times a week with a masters club.

Six months of the year (the warmer six months!) I do a lot of cycling, but since I do it as a form of transportation I don't really think of it as cross -training.

MrNamtor

Hey Namtor, good to see you as well! What does your week look like with the workout program you're on? In the past I have done rotations of specific things in addition to running. I've done kettlebells, yoga, heavy weights, bodyweight, but I have a hard time combining things in a well rounded fashion.

I'm sure you're in amazing shape and doing a decent job of balancing it all.

I actually have developed my own workout routine that combines running with parkour conditioning, body weight, pilates and , things taken from yoga and martial arts. You know it's like all the stuff (or a lot of the stuff) I've learned over the years.

I don't lift weight anymore, because for me it created an imbalance in my body. I think the more running/body weight oriented training i do now has corrected some of that. 

The core of my workout is running (like more or less a standard HM training regimen with about 35mpw)  and I do all the other conditioning during and after a run, depending on the type of run it is. So it's all mixed in. Hope i never get mistaken for a cross-fitter.

Anyway how do you like kettlebells? Do they really strengthen you?