Farah vs Bolt 600m race (Read 295 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm voting Farah.  When is this shindig?  How much are tickets?  Can this be an IDIOTS meetup?

I am not sure who wins but I think Bolt would have the advantage.  If Mo runs too slow then Bolt easily out kicks him in the end.  If MO goes out to fast then Bolt again is able to win because MO dies in the last seconds of the race. Only way MO wins is if he goes out in an honest effort and Bolt is not able to hang on for the whole distance.  If I was Bolt I would let Mo dictate the pace, make him do all the work and hope that I don't die over the last 200.

Orion Goals: 5k 18:30 10K 38:00 Marathon 3:10

GC100k

Supposedly Mo Farah ran a sub 11 second 100m the day before one of his Olympic races, so he has some speed (even if that's an exaggeration).  Salazar has his guys sprint hard in the days right before a race.  We know he's a good middle-distance runner and he ran the last mile of the Olympic 5k in under 4 minutes.

joescott

I have an update on this topic from North High School.  (OK, it's not the Olympics, but it's a data point.) 

Yesterday my kids' track team had a little intra-team meet which included a showdown between the sprinters and the distance guys at 600 meters.  All of my distance guys (both my flesh and blood ones and my "adopted" ones) smoked all of the sprinters decisively, which I found deeply satisfying....  In the closest heat, the one between our #1 distance guy and the #1 sprinter they were close to neck-and-neck at the 400, but at that point the sprinter just completely died and our guy just buried him with the remaining 200.  This may not be the most "even" matchup that could be imagined since our distance team is pretty darn strong this year (3rd place state CC team finish last fall on a day when we did not run our best race), but still, you know. 

My sons were 1st and 3rd in their heat, with another distance guy in 2nd, and all the sprinters in their heat behind.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

They can't get Rudisha in?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

I have an update on this topic from North High School.  (OK, it's not the Olympics, but it's a data point.) 

Yesterday my kids' track team had a little intra-team meet which included a showdown between the sprinters and the distance guys at 600 meters.  All of my distance guys (both my flesh and blood ones and my "adopted" ones) smoked all of the sprinters decisively, which I found deeply satisfying....  In the closest heat, the one between our #1 distance guy and the #1 sprinter they were close to neck-and-neck at the 400, but at that point the sprinter just completely died and our guy just buried him with the remaining 200.  This may not be the most "even" matchup that could be imagined since our distance team is pretty darn strong this year (3rd place state CC team finish last fall on a day when we did not run our best race), but still, you know. 

My sons were 1st and 3rd in their heat, with another distance guy in 2nd, and all the sprinters in their heat behind.

Good job by your sons.

FWIW when I was in HS we challenged a bunch of our 100/200 guys to try the 400, and most of them could not even make it through that.  A couple were very fast too.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills