The Walking Dead on AMC (Read 3197 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The A.V. Club probably offers the most in-depth critical analysis for episodes of The Walking Dead (they were a bit harsh on last night's episode).

http://www.avclub.com/articles/chupacabra,64790/

That pretty well sums-up a lot of my feelings.  This season hasn't had me desperately anticipating the next episode, like the first season did.  I think getting away from the farm will help loads.  I'm pretty bored with that setting.  I think I'm still not as critical as the AV Club reviewer, but I'm finding myself becoming distracted at points during most episodes, thus far, this season.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Durrr

A couple episodes ago when Rick and Herchel had a long conversation on the front porch, H expressed his hope that a cure for ... walkerism would be found (to which R cynically disagreed). Maybe Herchel is keeping all his undead kin and neighbors rounded up in the barn so that they can be cured if an antidote is ever available. Rick did mention that Herchel prefers to "take care" of the walkers in his own way. Or maybe it'll turn out that that's where they dump guests on the farm once they lose their welcome (doubt it, but that would make for a very dark twist).

I called it!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I called it!

You did!

I thought last night's episode was the best of the season.  I especially like what Maggie told Glenn about being walker-bait.  I also liked how Rick handled Lori's admission that she'd had a thing with Shane...all this time she'd been dancing around it, even though he was understanding and already had figured things out.  The guy's thisclose to earning sainthood, I think.

Only thing I didn't like about last night was not enough Darryl.  He's definitely my favorite character.  Dale's noseyness and overly paternalistic behavior kinda gets on my nerves, too...but he is also spot-on in his assessment of things in the majority of situations.

Next week looks good.  So why the mid-season cliff-hanger?  Does this mean AMC is introducing something new for a few weeks and TWD is taking a break?

BTW, is anyone else hooked on Hell on Wheels?  We've gotten caught-up in that.  Sunday night has definitely become our couch-potato night.

~ Sarah Kay

Durrr

They probably want to extend this season until well into the new year, so after next week there might not be another new episode until January.

I noted an inconsistency with Maggie's character. When we first meet her, she comes riding up on a horse, whips out a bat, and bashes a walker's head in --- as though she's some kind of cool zombie assassin. But now she's seen as a pacifist toward the walkers ("Stop calling them that!"), and acts hysterical/helpless when they surprise attack.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I noted an inconsistency with Maggie's character. When we first meet her, she comes riding up on a horse, whips out a bat, and bashes a walker's head in --- as though she's some kind of cool zombie assassin. But now she's seen as a pacifist toward the walkers ("Stop calling them that!"), and acts hysterical/helpless when they surprise attack.

That is a REALLY good point.  Perhaps she's far more conflicted than she lets on.  I'd like to see a zombie eat Herschel.  That would change things.

~ Sarah Kay

This is such a great show.  You know why?  Because of the emotions elicited by the characters.  Daryl is my favorite and I almost had a panic attack - twice -  the week before last.  I was thinking, "you can't kill off my favorite character!"  I also really like Glen and Rick (although Rick comes off as whiny at times).  I think he has the same problem that Herschel has - he still looks at the world in terms of the way things were rather than the way they actually are.  I wish the show would give me some female characters that I like.  I HATE Lori - for messing up Shane and for being good for nothing other than being a bitch and causing drama.  Unfortunately, she is tied to Carl and Rick so I don't see myself dancing on her grave anytime soon!  Andrea's gonna get someone killed - hopefully someone I don't like...  I'll give Maggie some more time, maybe being attacked by a walker will get her out of that sheltered mindset that geeks are merely sick and not dangerous. 

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

Is this that Twilight show all the kids are raving about?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wish the show would give me some female characters that I like.  I HATE Lori - for messing up Shane and for being good for nothing other than being a bitch and causing drama.  Unfortunately, she is tied to Carl and Rick so I don't see myself dancing on her grave anytime soon!  Andrea's gonna get someone killed - hopefully someone I don't like...  I'll give Maggie some more time, maybe being attacked by a walker will get her out of that sheltered mindset that geeks are merely sick and not dangerous. 

My money is on Maggie.  I haven't liked Andrea much since her sister died.  I've never really liked Lori...and as the show goes on I find myself rolling my eyes every time she's on-screen.  I think Carol has a LOT of room for improvement, though--and I mean that in a good way.  She is gradually transitioning from character I most want to off to character who is showing a lot of growth in the right direction.  Whether or not they find Sophia (and I have to believe she's still alive...no news is good news and her being an innocent kid and all) I think Carol is going to end up being really likable.  She's already starting to mellow and show great appreciation for everything the rest of the group has done to find her DD.  She's well beyond that point of blaming and being an ingrate.

I suspect Maggie will end up going with the group, too.  I don't know why, but I think when push comes to shove she's going to have a lot more reason to stick with them and with Glenn.  Either her dad is going to get killed/zombiefied or she's flat-out going get tired of his creepy, controlling schtick.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is this that Twilight show all the kids are raving about?

No...no sparkling.  Just entrails.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Best Week Ever's recap is up.  Interesting...they suspect Maggie's gonna get bit.  Hmmm...that's an angle I hadn't thought of.  If Maggie were bit by her mom or step-brother would that change Herschel's view on things?

~ Sarah Kay

No Talent Drips

Not reading any of this. Just watched the first episode. Wow. Good. 

Dei Gratia

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Not reading any of this. Just watched the first episode. Wow. Good. 

Ooh, catch up! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Best Week Ever's recap is up.  Interesting...they suspect Maggie's gonna get bit.  Hmmm...that's an angle I hadn't thought of.  If Maggie were bit by her mom or step-brother would that change Herschel's view on things?

Glah.. I hope not... Let's give Glenn a reason to be more involved and then snatch it away.... How about biting one of the other siblings...

Goals: To keep running regardless of what happens.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Glah.. I hope not... Let's give Glenn a reason to be more involved and then snatch it away.... How about biting one of the other siblings...

Yeah, I like Maggie, too.  I don't want to see her walker-fied.

Tonight was interesting...started so slow (and I'm really finding that any time that Lori is on the screen I want to gouge my eyes out and stab myself in the ears...gah!), then got really interesting in the last 20 minutes.  I wonder if they every really had a chance of finding Sophia.  It's going to be a long wait until Feb.

~ Sarah Kay

Menace to Sobriety

Spoiler alert for anyone that DVR'd this:

I'm assuming Hershel and his group knew that Rick's group was looking for a young girl. Sophia would have had to been a recent addition to the barn. In addition to keeping his own collection of walkers, knowing full well Sophia had already turned, Herschel put them at risk allowing them to continue searching for her. That should add a little more friction to the mix.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.