Etiquette? (Read 293 times)

onefatchick

I entered and won the overall female division in a VERY SMALL 5K race last weekend.  One of the sponsors of the race sent me a pretty nice prize, ( a very nice backpack and some other goodies) which was totally unexpected.  Is it proper etiquette to send the sponsor a thank-you note and acknowledge that you received the prize?

Thanks

C-R

Seems the polite thing to do don't you think. Congrats on the win.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

I'm not sure it's required, but in general if I win a race and don't get a chance to talk to the RD, I send them a note of appreciation for the race.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think that saying thank you when one receives a gift does sound like good etiquette.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

onefatchick

Thanks all for confirming what I thought was the appropriate thing to do.

ymmv

My thoughts, as a small race RD:

I don't think it is a 'gift'. Everyone budgeted for the race, including awards, prizes, timing, food, permits, etc.

In a way, you just got what you paid for by your participation and performance.

I think it will be a very pleasant surprise for the race sponsor/RD to hear from you.

It will help them establish their budget for next year.

I hope you will hear back from them, thanking you for your participation and kind thoughts.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

It's never wrong to show good manners! Congrats on your finish and nice job on your planned note. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

catwhoorg

Labrat

The only time I won something like that, I sent a note to the RD. Both as thanks and confirmation that I got it.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

If you send a thank-you note, you are better than me!    I suck at sending regular mail.   I still haven't even sent out my "Thank You" cards from after my wedding that I was supposed to send.  The envelopes are even addressed and stamped, but no cards filled out yet to put in them.

When did I get married you may ask?   Got married in 1996.....

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞