How do you work in 'tune up' races to your training schedule? (Read 481 times)

Seems like running 'tune up' races before you run a marathon is often recommended. Makes sense - it gives you a chance to gauge your fitness, to get a better idea what a good marathon pace will be for you, and to get in some good times while you're in good shape, so as to not 'waste' all that training on just a single race (the marathon). My question is: I've got my training schedule all set up which I try to follow religiously. How do I work a race or two into that? For example, my routine now is to take Fri off, run Sat a middle distance (10 mi), and then a long run Sun (~20). If I decide I'd like to run a 10K on Sat, what is the best way to adjust the schedule? Does it just 'replace' my easy 10 mi run? Seems like it wouldn't be a good idea to run 20 mi the next day! Do I rest that day, and basically end up with 24 fewer miles than planned? Seems like a steep price to pay (in miles) to run a 'tune up' race. Is there a better way?
    mikeymike

Do a race on Sunday. Don't skip your run on Saturday. With a long warmup and cooldown and a race you can get pretty close to the mileage you were aiming for. Longer races fit better with marathon training than short ones. A 10K is the shortest race I'd run. I usually try to include a half marathon and 30K or 20 miler. Last Sunday I ran a 30K, it just replaced my normal long run. Next Sunday I'll probably race a half marathon.

Runners run

Same as mikey here. Last weekend I ran a 15k race on Saturday and then 17 mile long run the next day. Took and extra mile or two to get the kinks out - but it was the best long run I've ever had in terms of time/pace/distance and how I felt afterwards. I've run five races during my marathon training so far and just use them to replace other runs.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?