Not a lover of running, but training for the Army... (Read 1109 times)

shyrunner07

( I was a Drill Sergeant at Fort Jackson, SC.)
    that's where my brother did his basic training earlier this year Big grin
      One of several things the Army will drill into your head is the notion that one never trains to the standard, one trains to exceed if not set the standard. Meeting the standard impresses no-one, not to mention still leaves you playing catch-up. It's a really good idea to report in the best shape possible. That being said, good luck with the Army.
      PWL

Has been

PWL, is that ....huhummm, Michael J. Fox?
        I prefer Marty McFly, thank you!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

From a professional standpoint, Fort Jackson has fabulous training facilities especially when compared to other training posts such as Fort Benning where I did my all my training at. Some more advice to the young lady. WALK everywhere you can. Start wearing boots, if you haven't already, to accustom your feet and ankles to the extra weight. It'll reduce your risk of stress fractures. Walk with a book bag/knapsack loaded with 5-10 pounds to start and work up to 15-20 pounds. This will build up your traps and make doing foot marches in full kit a little easier. Watch a little UFC on Spike. Modern Army Combatives - which you'll learn in Basic- is based almost entirely on mixed martial arts fighting. It goes without saying that you should start doing push-ups and sit ups.
            One of several things the Army will drill into your head is the notion that one never trains to the standard, one trains to exceed if not set the standard. Meeting the standard impresses no-one, not to mention still leaves you playing catch-up. It's a really good idea to report in the best shape possible. That being said, good luck with the Army.
            great post. that is so true with all walks of life. you got me ready to drop and give you 20!
            Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD
              Run Nekid?
              this is tru too. you got me ready to drop and... nevermind
              Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD
                "( I was a Drill Sergeant at Fort Jackson, SC.)Mike
                ICK. My basic was at Ft. Jackson back in 1989. I didn't like ANY of you. Big grin

Michelle

I didn't like ANY of you. Big grin
                  If it's any consolation, we didn't particularly care for y'all, either Big grin
                    If it's any consolation, we didn't particularly care for y'all, either Big grin
                    Understood!

Michelle

Understood!
                      Nothing personal, mind you. Hopefully, your period of service was rewarding.
                        Nothing personal, mind you. Hopefully, your period of service was rewarding.
                        It was. Just wondering... Do you know of a DS that was known as " Freddy Krugar"? I'll have to look in my year book for the names of two of my three DS, the one female was DS. Martin. She was tough.

Michelle

Afraid not. Typically, DS duty is a 2 year assignment with an option to do a third. I was a DS at Jackson from '95 to '98 ( B 2-13 IN RGT), so he was long gone by that point. Mike