Skyrunning (Read 281 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If he can get up and back down fast enough, the altitude should not be the problem it is for those who take their time. But he will only have 24-48 hours, which is what he is budgeting.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Just so Killian doesn't enjoy all the limelight in the mountain adventure scene...Justin Simoni completed a very different and at the same time altogether awesome quest in the mountains of Colorado by bike and foot this summer.  Set the FKT for a completely self powered summit of all colorado's 14ers, the stats are staggering...

Total Hike Mileage: 387.9 miles (624.265 km)

Total Hike Elevation: 154,727 feet (47,160.8 km)

Total Bike Mileage: 1,609.1 miles (2,589.6 km)

Total Bike Elevation: 151,335 feet (46,126.9 meters)

in 34 days...with no outside aid.

read a full report at Ultimate Directions Blog

Over 300,000 ft of gain in 34 days?!  Unsupported. Just Wow.

P.S. I love the pic where Simoni literally has a jar of Nutella in the front bottle holster.  Necessities.

Joann Y

read a full report at Ultimate Directions Blog

Fun read. That is impressive and sounds amazing. And exhausting!

Mmmmm...beer

If he can get up and back down fast enough, the altitude should not be the problem it is for those who take their time. But he will only have 24-48 hours, which is what he is budgeting.

I thought that the onset of hypoxia is fairly quick above 14k feet?  Granted, I don't really know much about it, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

AnneCA

People don't "take their time" climbing Everest because they're enjoying the scenery and having fun.  They do so because it is necessary.  In particular, the folks who climb without supplemental oxygen are definitely moving as quickly as they can.  Not to say that Jornet isn't exceptional, or that it's impossible to do it faster, but there's a rather alarming description of the effects of altitude on Jornet in this article:  http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/kilian-jornet-sky-runner

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Agree, Anne. But the body is funny. If you can get to altitude and do your thing in under 48 hours the body can take it better than if you go into day 2-3 or beyond. After that it takes weeks/months to acclimate.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

endlessrun

I hope he can do it.  He may set a record that can never be topped.  Only thing, with no one along, how can he prove it?  Is there a problem with having folks standby for him up top or would that destroy the "unassisted" aspect?

^^^^Dude, NOBODY is going to just "hang around" on the summit of Everst waiting for this runner guy.

endlessrun

It wouldn't be easy.  I read in one of the links that a member of Jornet's crew, Sébastien Montaz-Rosset, was filming him for the Summits of My Life Project.  Rosset did climb Denali.  Someone needs to document the Everest conquest or Guiness, for one, wouldn't verify it.

Jornet

Killian Jornet

Kalsarikännit

^^^^Dude, NOBODY is going to just "hang around" on the summit of Everst waiting for this runner guy.

+ 1 billion

Get up, and get the hell down, no hanging around in what is known as the "death zone" (this ain't Denali).

Everest creates it own weather system, and it changes on a dime. It feels like most of the deaths I read about take place on the descent. There is a thought that climbers become a little more complacent after they summit, and with weather that can end all visibility, the trick can be getting off the mountain.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kalsarikännit

Someone needs to document the Everest conquest or Guiness, for one, wouldn't verify it.

If Elizabeth Hawley verifies it, it happened. If not, it didn't. It is that simple.

http://www.outsideonline.com/1825881/high-priestess-posterity

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I hope he can do it.  He may set a record that can never be topped.  Only thing, with no one along, how can he prove it?  Is there a problem with having folks standby for him up top or would that destroy the "unassisted" aspect?

"technology"

I was going to say he might run into a logjam going up the mountain but, he says he's going to go up the North face. Most expeditions go up the South face. There have been a lot of deaths up on Everest the last couple of years. From everything I've read the North face is a lot tougher than the South route. It's the route Malory died climbing. I wish him luck. Should be a fascination story to follow.