Interesting Interpretation of Lydiard's Training....go from 0 to 100-mile weeks in 9 weeks time???? (Read 1163 times)

derek

I came across this website that talks about Arthur Lydiard's training philosophy. The part that caught my eye was where they talk about taking a runner from being sedentary to running 100 miles per week in 9 weeks!! http://www.bunnhill.com/BobHodge/Special/LydiardInterpreted.htm I wouldn't try that, but it was interesting reading it.

Derek

You have to be careful when reading anything written by Lydiard. His training plans are optimal plans, basically if your body can handle it this is what you should do to achieve your maximum potential I got the opportunity to meet Arthur once and he told me a story about when he was helping to coach Billy Mills prior to when Mills won the Olympic 10k. At the Olympic games Mills is talking to Lydiard and say something like, "I don't think I'll do very well I couldn't even finish the workouts you gave me. I had to take it easy and rest up because I got so tired doing them." Lydiard then thinks to himself, “good he’ll be nice and rested for race.” Then, Mills goes on to win the 10k. Even Olympic gold medalists have trouble completing some of Lydiard’s training. Sometimes it is more important to listen to your body then a plan written down on paper.
      The point is you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might as well give in and save your sanity for later.
        Agreed....I liked Lydiard ideas and tried to put some of them to use in my training but never could handle (legs nor motivation) for 80+/100+ mile weeks... It's pretty decided that Lydiard was more for pretty highly motivated and competitive athletes who really care about acheiving their best. I don't think that Lydiard really understood or wrote for "sedentary" or beginning runners, especially those who, anatomicallly, couldn't handle 50+ mile weeks, much less 100 mile weeks! I do agree with this statement, however, for acheiving the best potential times...."Runners who master the art of training aerobically come the closest to reaching their full potential. Most high school runners either go too slow or too fast or a mixture of both. Most college runners don't do high enough mileage and when they do, they run too fast. Most recreational road runners run too slow." Having tried some of it, I think motivation is the biggest issue with Lydiard training...
        rkeddie

Did you see that on coolrunning? I just came across the same link.

Now that was a bath...

Derek I came back to this thread because my physio suggested I take up Lydiard's training philosophies (although i didn't discuss this particular interpretation with her!). Whilst I agree that when I looked at that 9 weeks/100 mile schedule my brain imploded with the impossibility of it all - something inside little ole me also said 'Wow, I wonder if I could'! I wouldn't necessarily call myself competetive but I would most definitely call myself motivated i.e. not running is a harder feat than running for me. I want to run lots and I want to run far. Now, I am not going to attempt that schedule as I am sane and coming out off the back of an injury and it is merely interpretation anyhow - but I am going to hold it in my mind as something that could be possible for some. Now obviously an NZ Physio therapist is going to have a certain amount of pride in Lydiard's achievements and belief in his words - this is a small Nation and we hold our successful to the fore with a strength of adoration that I had never seen in England. But I like Lydiard's passion so I think I will do as she says and check out his training programs, buy a couple of his books and keep them in mind for where I hope to be in the future. How close that future is I have no idea! Claire xxx
          • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
          • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
            derek

Let me know if you can find any Lydiard books. I'm interested in his training philosophy. Even if I don't do it, I enjoy reading about running. The problem I'm having is that I can't find any of his books to buy except for one on for Masters running. I did find someone in Germany that is selling "Running to the Top" on Ebay and I may order it from him. Amazon has 3rd party sellers selling some of his books but at ridiculous prices, e.g. Running to the Top is selling from $32 to $197!

Derek

derek

Here is another PDF on his training. I haven't read it as yet though....this is my reading for tonight: http://lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training.pdf

Derek

Scout7

I think a big problem with Lydiard is that a lot of people have read and interpreted his stuff. Additionally, as was noted in the original article, Lydiard never came out and said that it could be done in 9 weeks. Some of that could be poor editing, perhaps, or just poor connectedness. I do know that Lydiard was a huge advocate of running A LOT of base miles. This meant lower intensity for long times. He said that this running should be done for as long as time permits before getting into any other stages.

Now that was a bath...

Derek - I just purchased 'Distance Training for Women Athletes' for NZ$17 but had to pay a whacking $10 shipping costs. The good thing about being in New Zealand is that my Physio told me that our local library contains all of Lydiard's books so I guess I have a plan as to what I am doing with the kids this holiday afternoon! I got mine from here - https://www.alibris.com/ Runnig to the top was going for $120+ American! Interestingly even with the ridiculous shipping cost it was cheaper for me to buy this book from America than from a New Zealand online bookshop! Claire xxx
                  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.