I'm over the flu part but still coughing and wanting to race tomorrow. Yes or no??? (Read 92 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

So last week I had the flu.  Thursday, Friday and Saturday were bad.  I couldnt do much more than sit.  Walking stints were far and few between.

Sunday was marked improvement.  I have been a little better each day since but feel kinda still juuuuuuust not fully recovered yet.  Still feel my lungs and still cough but I ran on the treadmill 2 days ago for a good 10 minutes just to get the rust out.

Now the biggie..........I've got a 10k scheduled tomorrow.  I want to run, but my wife's all over me.    I don't know what to do.  I know the easiest answer is not to run.  But my heart just doesn't want to imagine it.  I've never DNS'd before.

Sad

Randy

Feeling the growl again

Depends what you want to accomplish.

Set a PR or run a great time?  If you feel like crap, chances are next to zero.

Simply keep from DNS?  Easily accomplished.  But what is the value proposition there?  If it costs you an extra few days of recovery/reduced running is it really worth the cost?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Not dead. Yet.

If you feel good and want to run, why not?  Just do it for fun and don't put any pressure on yourself to keep to your healthy pace and I think there is no harm done.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

GabrielleB

Run it like a training run and not a race.  Simple. Enjoy the pomp and circumstance but have no expectations other than to finish.

And have fun!

I've only DNS'd one race out of over a hundred, that was in December and it was due to food poisoning!  No possible way I could make it to the race (a 10 miler) because I could not get out of the restroom for more than 4 minutes!)

I have run a race on one other occasion sick in the past.. .Bronchitis like symptoms and it felt like my lungs were on fire. -- I probably could have missed that race too and no biggie.  It is likely that you are on the upswing again and can do the race all right, but you didn't cover where you are running it at either.  If it is really cold as most of the country is right now, might be best not to do it.    If you do run the race, take it easy!  (A very hard proposition when people are passing you, I know :-) )  

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

spoonerweb

I have had to take a day or two off from running because of being sick and when I started running again I have had some of my best runs.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sorry, posted in wrong thread.

If you feel good then I would do it (although you might not be as fast as you hope). If you don't feel good then rest up.

BTW (and sorry to ask this) - did you really have 'flu, or a cough and cold? I ask because these days people often say "flu" when that's not what they have. Flu is quite debilitating, and usually a lot worse than a cold.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I'm pretty sure last week it was flu.  I had the sweats, then chills, then sweats again.  Woke up in a pool of sweat.  Had the strength of a newborn baby.  (could barely stand for a few minutes at a time.).  It was bad.

Oh and the best......taking a leak at 3 am last Friday, feeling the fuzzies come into my peripheral and woke up to my wife slapping me in the face after passing out in the bathroom and falling to the floor.

Randy

Not dead. Yet.

It sounds like you don't want to run; so don't.  I probably wouldn't either.  And you have a perfectly good reason to stay home.  Don't sweat it and come back stronger for the next one.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

I'm pretty sure last week it was flu.  I had the sweats, then chills, then sweats again.  Woke up in a pool of sweat.  Had the strength of a newborn baby.  (could barely stand for a few minutes at a time.).  It was bad.

Oh and the best......taking a leak at 3 am last Friday, feeling the fuzzies come into my peripheral and woke up to my wife slapping me in the face after passing out in the bathroom and falling to the floor.

Geez, that sounds bad. I think you answered your own question with this post! Stay home and rest up!!! There will be other races.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

FWIW, I skipped the race.

I got up at 6.  Wife was already up cuz she's always up early and gave me the stare down.  We talked a bit and I even got to the point of her being ok with me running the first part (a loop for the 5k folks) and then deciding whether to pull off or continue, but I read the last 2 posts here and more over on the old RWBF and that convinced me that I'll only make myself more angry (I get mad when I'm sick) if running this race made me worse.

Of course, I'm now adamant about finding another 10k before my next race scheduled for early June.

C'est la vie

Randy