Commute by Running (Read 2917 times)

sluggo

John

We recently started a blog about running to/from work that folks in this thread might find useful:  The Run Commuter

We have male and female contributors from different locations around the US; some of us run everyday/both ways, some just run home.   We write reviews of gear that works for us, as well as news, tips, stories, etc.   The core posts for people interested in starting are the How To Get Started posts (can be found in the sidebar), but we have useful info for long-time run commuters as well.

Also, if anyone is interested in contributing some content, contact us through the link at the top of the blog.

Happy Run Commuting!

OK - I am lazy and I have not yet read your blog. Do you address the issue of carrying a laptop?

I carry mine into work and home every day. I am afraid that running with the laptop in a backpack (even a really good backpack) would cause damage.

I used to run home from work once in a while. At that time in once 5 mi with a now laptop. Now I commute about 20 mi but I could run home from the train station. In fact, this would make it easier to get home!

John
    www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Julia1971

Dang, we were definitely going to demand pictures!  Big grin

No pictures.  I sold it to Lady Gaga and she wore meat over it.  

The winter coat I made out of toilet paper, soap, and shower drain hair was better looking.  IMHO.

Julia1971

Best lesson learned the hard way was the day the fire alarm went off when I was still in the shower.  Rinsed, dried off quickly, threw on clothes...  Oh, snap!  It's winter.  I have to go outside.  Where's my coat?  (Sigh).  Lesson learned: bring everything you might possibly need with you to the shower room.  Even your coat.

Quoted for emphasis since I work in D.C. and just got home about 30 minutes ago.  Your workplace is not your home.  When and whether you need to leave your building may not be up to your discretion.

ETA:  "Duh - some people work from home!  In which case, this statement does not apply.  Carry on.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Quoted for emphasis since I work in D.C. and just got home about 30 minutes ago.  Your workplace is not your home.  When and whether you need to leave your building may not be up to your discretion.

Ooh, I see your point.  You were kicked out of your building, then?

My only problem has been that I leave my cycling things in my locker in the bathroom/shower, and sometimes I'm ready to go home when someone has ensconced himself in there for a half hour.  Annoying.

xor

Look askance.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Look askance.

Don't ensconce.

xor

Go ask Lance.

I think he'll know.

Julia1971

Ooh, I see your point.  You were kicked out of your building, then?

My only problem has been that I leave my cycling things in my locker in the bathroom/shower, and sometimes I'm ready to go home when someone has ensconced himself in there for a half hour.  Annoying.

Yeah, a lot of buildings were evacuated and people weren't allowed back in until police/fire/structural engineers cleared them.  Inconvenient but it's their call.  Some buildings are still closed today.  All D.C. schools are closed.

Sharing the facility can be tricky.  I was pretty lucky - there were only two other gals that regularly used the facility in my building and they were both early risers unlike me.

TheRunCommuter

OK - I am lazy and I have not yet read your blog. Do you address the issue of carrying a laptop?

I carry mine into work and home every day. I am afraid that running with the laptop in a backpack (even a really good backpack) would cause damage.

I used to run home from work once in a while. At that time in once 5 mi with a now laptop. Now I commute about 20 mi but I could run home from the train station. In fact, this would make it easier to get home!

Clowning around No, we haven't written about that yet. 

I've run a few times with my heavy ass laptop, but I don't believe any of us regularly carry them.  I'll add this to the que for a future post.  I'm pretty sure, though, that I'd recommend a netbook with a solid-state drive for regular run commuting.   Hard drives have moving parts within them, while SS drives do not (store data on microchips instead).

As far as packs go, regular backpacks today almost come standard with a laptop sleeve.  If you can find one that isn't too bulky and has a simple waist strap, it should work just fine.  The one I use  (now discontinued) is the Osprey Revo.

Hope that helps for now!