Core body temperature (Read 1121 times)

Nowadays we have a ton of useful gadgets that give us feed back for our running. Olympic level athletes can even have their cortisol levels monitored. What I want to know about I think would be extremely significant and should be relatively easy to do technologically. Is there any device for a novice athlete to keep track of his/her core body temperature while exercising? If there isn't I think there should be. I would tell you alot about how hard you are working, how many calories you are burning, how effectively your body is cooling itself, I also suppose it would even shed light on your level of hydration.

an amazing likeness

Nowadays we have a ton of useful gadgets that give us feed back for our running. Olympic level athletes can even have their cortisol levels monitored. What I want to know about I think would be extremely significant and should be relatively easy to do technologically. Is there any device for a novice athlete to keep track of his/her core body temperature while exercising? If there isn't I think there should be. I would tell you alot about how hard you are working, how many calories you are burning, how effectively your body is cooling itself, I also suppose it would even shed light on your level of hydration.
      Well...I hate to say it, but there is always the rectal thermometer...You first! Wink

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Umm but wouldn't that hurt my stride?

Think Whirled Peas

Umm but wouldn't that hurt my stride butt?
          Yes. Yes it would.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It would tell you alot about how hard you are working, how many calories you are burning, how effectively your body is cooling itself, I also suppose it would even shed light on your level of hydration.
            No. It would not. Too many confounders AND your body is incredibly good at keeping your temperature stable when not ill or overexposed to the elements.
              No. It would not. Too many confounders AND your body is incredibly good at keeping your temperature stable when not ill or overexposed to the elements.
              Okay Doc I guess it was a bad idea Smile However I do think it might be usefull on very cool days and very warm days though.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have run before in a driving 40 degree rain with wind. When I got home I believe my CBT was ~89 or so. Got home, could barely run, could not move and was gray in the face. After warming up in the hot shower for 10 minutes, only then did I start shivering. I did not think th check my temperature, but based on symptoms I seemed to match that temp from textbooks.

Imminent Catastrophe

... could barely run, could not move and was gray in the face. ...
                  That's me on a normal day Wink

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I have run before in a driving 40 degree rain with wind. When I got home I believe my CBT was ~89 or so. Got home, could barely run, could not move and was gray in the face. After warming up in the hot shower for 10 minutes, only then did I start shivering. I did not think th check my temperature, but based on symptoms I seemed to match that temp from textbooks.
                    On that day did you ever shiver while running?

dork.major dork.

I almost never shiver while running. I think that when we run we are asking our bodies to do a very specific task (and a task that our bodies probably associates with running away from a predator or running after prey, i.e., very important) and so our bodies do that one thing and only when we stop and relax do we start to shiver. I often shiver in hot showers after winter runs as I recalibrate.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

I almost never shiver while running. I think that when we run we are asking our bodies to do a very specific task (and a task that our bodies probably associates with running away from a predator or running after prey, i.e., very important) and so our bodies do that one thing and only when we stop and relax do we start to shiver. I often shiver in hot showers after winter runs as I recalibrate.
                        I am just trying to figure out if you know you are loosing body heat or not. I like to run in the low 40s with shorts and short sleeves, it feels really chilly when I start but it always feels good latter in the run. I even get a decent sweat going. Is my body temp dropping and I don't know it I wounder?
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

On that day did you ever shiver while running?
                          No. I was underdressed, wearing just a short sleeve tech shirt and a thin vest. I was running along just fine for the first half, then felt myself getting weaker. Of course, as I weakened, I slowed and as I slowed, I generated less and less heat to offset the chill. The cycle kept going until I could no longer run, still a half mile from my home. When I got home I could not open the door, get my clothes off or start the shower. Shocked
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am just trying to figure out if you know you are loosing body heat or not. I like to run in the low 40s with shorts and short sleeves, it feels really chilly when I start but it always feels good latter in the run. I even get a decent sweat going. Is my body temp dropping and I don't know it I wounder?
                            As long as you still feel strong and are sweating, it is unlikely that you are becoming hypothermic.

A Saucy Wench

Low 40's shorts and short sleeves is fairly appropriate for a lot of people. If you were getting too cold during a run you would know. I had it happen once...I was dressed for the temp, but not for the windchill and I just got to a point where my muscles would not work. 2+ miles from home. Fortunately I had a $20 stashed in my camelbak (heh) and was able to get coffee and phone for a ride.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7