2013 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 601 times)

Julia1971

As the MP runs can be tough, I'm thinking maybe working the next 2 (12 mi and 14 mi) into HMs:  Run the Reservoir (Oradell NJ, Sep 1)  and Newport Liberty (Jersey City, 9/22).  Anyone else doing the same/similar?

I think there was a thread earlier in the year where someone advocated what you're describing.  I don't think I'm disciplined enough to run a HM at MP.  Since I'm usually AG competitive, I think I'd be tempted to race it.  At this point, I am planning to do two HM as tune up races but I haven't registered for either of them yet.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I plan to do a bunch of local races for tune-ups and MP runs.  So far, my "race" schedule looks like this.

Week 7 - NYRR 18-miler in Central Park - 20 mile normal LR for me

Week 6 - Newport Liberty HM - Tune-up race at full race effort

Week 5 - Yonkers HM - 18 miles with 14 at MP

Week 4 - ?? -  Visiting family in PA - Maybe a 5k in Lansdale, PA

Week 2 - 10k in Paramus, NJ -  Tune-up race at full race effort

I'm planning to do either the Newport Liberty HM or the Yonkers HM. Leaning to Liberty Newport -- it's not the best date (Yonkers is better), but it is closer and I like the course -- nice views of NYC Skyline and Statue of Liberty. No chance of me getting too aggressive. I am sometimes AG competitive, but this is a USATF Masters race and draws in really fast runners (and I'm at the top of my age group this year). Also, the weather is often fairly warm and humid so it's ideal to run as a training run but not as an all out race.

Has anyone run the Yonkers HM? Any impressions? What about the Paramus 10k?

ymmv

I think there was a thread earlier in the year where someone advocated what you're describing.  I don't think I'm disciplined enough to run a HM at MP.  Since I'm usually AG competitive, I think I'd be tempted to race it.  At this point, I am planning to do two HM as tune up races but I haven't registered for either of them yet.

I wonder if it matters much if you run the half at MP (with maybe some extra miles) or if you race it. Either way seems like great training.

I have a "metric marathon" that I'm signed up for, as it is part of a club series. I've never raced that distance, and have sort of avoided it in the past. I think I will run it at my target MP to see how it goes.

Julia1971

I wonder if it matters much if you run the half at MP (with maybe some extra miles) or if you race it. Either way seems like great training.

I have a "metric marathon" that I'm signed up for, as it is part of a club series. I've never raced that distance, and have sort of avoided it in the past. I think I will run it at my target MP to see how it goes.

How far is a "metric marathon"?  I'm terrible with the metric system and I'm confused by the Google calculator.  Disapprove

Yes, I think both would be great workouts.  But, I think of MP runs as opportunities to learn what my MP feels like.  HMP is much faster than MP.  And as the training plan progresses, the total time of the run also lasts longer than what I would run a HM, so I think of them as dress rehearsals for marathon day as far as fueling/fluids for 3+ hours of running and mental training for rough patches.  But, that's just what I prefer.  I'm sure many people would disagree.

lagwagon

How far is a "metric marathon"?  

ummm, 42.2km, its the same distance.  but I think there may be some "26.2 km" races which would be 16.3 mi.

to your earlier post, I agree, its hard to stay chill and be disciplined in a race setting.  I tried to run my last HM as a MP run.  first mile was spot on.  second mile was 25 seconds fast.  kept that pace going 11 more miles for a PR.  I'm noticing that the races I care least about I tend to do the best!

my plan for the upcoming HMs is to MP them, but i might be persuaded to race for any number of reasons.  i think the big downside is recovery time...i can bounce back from an MP HM in 2-3 days, but a hard race will cost me ~1 week of quality work.

meaghansketch

ummm, 42.2km, its the same distance.  but I think there may be some "26.2 km" races which would be 16.3 mi.

Yes, 'metric marathon' usually refers to 26.2k, or 16.3 miles.

It's a key workout that the Hansons use with their runners sometimes to test race preparation-- if you can manage 16 miles at MP in the middle of a training cycle, you can probably hold 26.2 at that same pace once you taper.

Yes, 'metric marathon' usually refers to 26.2k, or 16.3 miles.

It's a key workout that the Hansons use with their runners sometimes to test race preparation-- if you can manage 16 miles at MP in the middle of a training cycle, you can probably hold 26.2 at that same pace once you taper.

Ok, but  who really knows for sure.  The 1500 is known as the metric mile after all.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I'm running Jersey City..also considering LBI 18 miler as a supported long run 10/13

Also will be running the Long training run #2 and the Tune up 18 mile run

ymmv

Ok, but  who really knows for sure.  The 1500 is known as the metric mile after all.

There are 2 'metric marathons' in this area. Both are 26.2 Kilometers. The one hosted by the Annapolis Striders is in its 33rd year.

Julia1971

Week 6 reminded me that despite your best laid plans, things may come up to derail them.  It was a cut back week, and things were humming along smoothly.  I had a toothache on Monday and remembered how my dentist told me back in January that I probably needed a root canal in that tooth.  I meant to do it back in April but forgot.  The pain went away but on Wednesday, I noticed there was a lump above that tooth.  Thursday morning, I called the dental surgeon's office and breezily described what was going on and said I'd like to come in.  When I came back from my run, I had something like 4 missed calls from their office.  They wanted me to come in that morning.  They were concerned about the lump.  An hour later, I'm having a root canal because there was an abscess on the tooth!  Shocked  Needless to say, Friday's recovery run was not good.  Between the Advil/Tylenol and antibiotics my body was a wreck.  But, today's long run was fine.  I ran with some speedy ladies from my running club and we really pushed the pace.

Hard to believe we're still a little less than 3 months out.  I'm looking forward to hearing about tune-up races soon, though.

Docket_Rocket

Sorry to hear about your dental issue this week, Julia, but better to happen during a cutback week (that's the first thing I always look for--I cannot get sick during any other week, damn it!).

I still have one more run for this week but I did my 20 miler today due to a conflict tomorrow.  It was 88F and 75DP at 4:30am so it was a steamy run throughout.  Still, a very strong one.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Julia1971

Week 7 - It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.  A medium run in high heat and humidity on Tuesday found me on the verge on tears mid-run because I was struggling so hard, but by week's end, I completed two super fast training runs that restored my confidence that once the heat subsides I'll be where I want to be.  84 miles total - all but 15 of them joyful.  Smile

D_R, I shouldn't complain about heat/humidity when you're around.  I don't know how you do it and am in awe.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Cutback week for me which included an asthma attack on Tuesday during my 800m intervals and a shortened LR today due to nausea.  Still, I can tell my paces are getting faster and stronger, and although I am sad I had to cut my MP+10% run at 12 instead of 16, I am glad with this week overall.  48 miles (instead of 52).  I'll live (I think, LOL).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

meaghansketch

Julia- Amazing miles, and 2 super-fast training runs to boot?  Nice stuff.

Damaris- Nice running, too bad about the asthma attack but feeling faster/stronger overall is a good sign.

Finished up the week with 55 miles w/ 3 key workouts:

3x1000m on Tuesday

4 mile tempo run Thursday

14 mile progression run (7 miles easy/ 7 working my way down to HM pace) Saturday.  Last 2 miles were under 8:20, and I felt strong the whole way-- I programmed my watch with target paces, gave myself a 20-second window, but it was beeping at me to slow down almost the entire last part of the run.

My upcoming week looks pretty similar, with an 18-19 mile easy pace long run replacing the progression run.

Feeling good so far.

Julia1971

Julia- Amazing miles, and 2 super-fast training runs to boot?  Nice stuff.

Damaris- Nice running, too bad about the asthma attack but feeling faster/stronger overall is a good sign.

Finished up the week with 55 miles w/ 3 key workouts:

3x1000m on Tuesday

4 mile tempo run Thursday

14 mile progression run (7 miles easy/ 7 working my way down to HM pace) Saturday.  Last 2 miles were under 8:20, and I felt strong the whole way-- I programmed my watch with target paces, gave myself a 20-second window, but it was beeping at me to slow down almost the entire last part of the run.

My upcoming week looks pretty similar, with an 18-19 mile easy pace long run replacing the progression run.

Feeling good so far.

I took a peak at your log and those were some very solid runs - the intervals were very consistent and you ran a nice increase in that progression.  Nice job!