Hip/Lower Back? (Read 122 times)

I try to avoid doctors at all costs, but as I've gotten older, I recognize the ole body doesn't hold up as well.

After a less than stellar year in 2012 running, I started off 2013 with a bit better month than I had been having last year. I put on about 10 lbs from last year and have been trying to eat better and run it off, so I increased my miles without issue.

Until this past long run. I had felt a little tightness in my back recently, but it always managed to work its way out and didn't affect my runs.

About 10 miles in it got a bit tighter, but there weren't any real issues happening. It was a little tight by Saturday evening, no issues.

Sunday, it was sore, but not a lot. I could tell it impacted my run as I squeezed out 11:00 min/miles, as opposed to the 8:49 the day prior on the long run. But I thought easy would help it.

Today in the office, it was tender. I was having a little more of an issue putting any weight on the right leg. I got home, and like a genius, went on my run.

I was knocking out 8:50's through 6, and then the last mile it got really tight. It was not comfortable the entire run, but the last mile was when I could really tell I had overused it.

The pain is in the lower back on the right side, around where the waistband of my pants would go. After this run, I began to feel it more in my hip joint. The muscles were definitely tender to touch, although with a little bit of massaging, it felt as though it would loosen up.

There's a little pain in the upper thigh of the leg as well, but I would venture to say it was me stupidly running and changing my stride as opposed to being directly connected.

Anyways, it is beyond difficult to walk at this point, and after tonight's rest, if there is not a drastic improvement, I plan on seeing someone about it. But, that's my issue, as I do not know who would be the best to see. Is it a chiropractor? Is it a sports physical therapist? Or an orthopedist? I want to be able to knock on the right door the first try and get some help so I can jump back into running if possible.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light.

No Talent Drips

After that opening line, I was expecting you to be in your 60s...or so.

This thing was recommended to me when i was sidelined with debilitating SI Joint pain (which referred all around my hips and lower back).  Worked incredibly well...nearly overnight relief.  I now use it weekly to help keep myself aligned. Hat tip to Illeneforward.

This video popped up on the googles.

Of course, YMMV and all. Or maybe it won't.

MTA: Good luck. Stay young.

Dei Gratia

After that opening line, I was expecting you to be in your 60s...or so.

Ha. I find myself at that stage where I recognize that my body is changing a bit more. I'm young and healthy, but have had more issues in the past 2.5 years than prior. I'm simply trying to not be young, dumb, and assuming I'm invincible.

Las Vegas Dave

I can vouch for the Sacro Wedgy too.  I have always had trouble with tight hips, hamstrings and back at times and this thing has really put a lot more spring in my step.  I immediately felt my hips loosening up after just one use and my running posture has really improved.  I notice that my hips seem to be tilted forward as I run now; and, under my knees and feet and not slouching lazily back anymore.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

This thing was recommended to me when i was sidelined with debilitating SI Joint pain (which referred all around my hips and lower back).  Worked incredibly well...nearly overnight relief.  I now use it weekly to help keep myself aligned. Hat tip to Illeneforward.

And would you believe it...after the first ever chiropractor visit, I was diagnosed with SI Joint Dysfunction. He adjusted me and it immediately felt better. I'm going to see him over the next two weeks to stay on top of it. Took a couple of days off and will continue to ice.

I might have to invest in one of those as well that you listed above.

Relieved to know what it is - just hoping the sprain heals quickly because the muscles are still a bit sore, although the pain has changed its location since the adjustment from horribly in the hip to simply the back when it pulls.

Thanks for the recommendation!

No Talent Drips

And would you believe it...after the first ever chiropractor visit, I was diagnosed with SI Joint Dysfunction.

I might have to invest in one of those as well that you listed above.

Thanks for the recommendation!

1) Yes, I believe it. This feeds my God complex.

2) Pull the trigger on the Wedgy. Worth every penny.

3) My pleasure...just kicking the wheel of Wedgy recommendation. Hope it helps!

Dei Gratia

Hoodoo Guru

That SacroWedgy looks cool.  And they have a female version too.  $10 bucks cheaper and PINK.

The tangents are moot.