Runners (athletes) Cheat (Read 1727 times)

Last I checked we don't  have "rules" for training, there are suggestions, tips, exercises, etc to improve our performance.  If we choose not to do it then that's our call, our prerogative , its not "cheating".   

cheating

present participle of cheat (Verb)

1. Act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, esp. in a game or examination: "she cheats at cards".
    2. Deceive or trick.

There are rules for races that we must follow or may be disqualified. 

This article is a turn off for me...all I know I wouldn't go to him for coaching advice.  Thanks for making me feel like crap because I had an outstanding long run but didn't have time to stretch. My daughter made me pancakes when I returned from my run and I cheated by having breakfast with her when I should have been focusing on being the best than I can be.

Troy.

I read this, and all I could think was, "Whatever. Run or don't. But enough talking about it already."

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

qwerty85

why waste time on those everyday runs to bog the mind down with focusing on things that might help us on race day… just enjoy the run. Right? 

Stop cheating. Stop cheating yourself

Dude, it's all cool, me and my running don't have that kind of relationship...  It knows all about what I'm doing.

I get the point of the article.  But there are some things that are more important to me than being the best runner I can be.  And loving most my running is one of those things.  I look more towards the speed workouts for the mental stuff... the everyday runs?  I just want to be excited to be out there, and loving running.  And I am.  I am not one of those people dragging myself out the door.  And I like that.   

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm with Trent and Clay et al. on this.  The article's author was trying to be cute, but all he is really saying is that runners cut corners on the plans assigned by their coaches.  Yeah, meh.

Troy.

Yeah, meh.

Meh, indeed. I say, cheat all you want in training. Everything is revealed in the race.

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

Why is it sideways?

I thought the article was about self-deception. E.g. "The only person you're cheating is yourself." The things we tell ourselves that are probably not true in order to justify poor training.

Runners are masters of self-deception.

Feeling the growl again

I think the author was trying to raise a reaction by using the word "cheat".  Apparently he overshot the intended mark.

IMHO he didn't intend for people to feel like crap for skipping a few stretches for quality time with their kid.  I think it was just some food for thought for those who consistently cut corners on their training or try to find shortcuts (going too hard) then wonder why the results were not what they expected.

(MTA: Jeff hit it with the self-deception)

Otherwise I'm a terrible, horrible person for running half the mileage I should be.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Foolin' yourself is what I was thinking as well.

Get off my porch

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

I thought the article was about self-deception. E.g. "The only person you're cheating is yourself." The things we tell ourselves that are probably not true in order to justify poor training.

Runners are masters of self-deception.

+1

I think the author was trying to raise a reaction by using the word "cheat".  Apparently he overshot the intended mark.

IMHO he didn't intend for people to feel like crap for skipping a few stretches for quality time with their kid.  I think it was just some food for thought for those who consistently cut corners on their training or try to find shortcuts (going too hard) then wonder why the results were not what they expected.

(MTA: Jeff hit it with the self-deception)

Otherwise I'm a terrible, horrible person for running half the mileage I should be.

+1

Foolin' yourself is what I was thinking as well.

+1

And again this is not to make anyone feel foolish. I just thought it was a self awareness article and again aimed more at competitive runners. I for one have conned myself into the self-decsption of almost all these tactics. And as with all running information, YMMV. These boards are littered with people who perform similarly in races and have vastly different training tactics; I don't think that makes either way wrong, only different from one another.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                    Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Why is it sideways?

Socratic training tip: "Know thyself." 

It's more difficult than you'd think.

#artbydmcbride

Now I want pancakes.  Blush

And Trent, I saw Pete Magill run a 15:05 at the Magic Shoe race.....he swears it is from doing those form drills.  But he is 50 years old, so he isn't every runner either.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

cheat all you want in training. Everything is revealed in the race.

Agreed.

But not all running is with a goal of some race.

Why is it sideways?

Agreed.

Trent, aren't you the guy who created a whole race based around self-delusion? You're like the man behind the curtain, behind the curtain, behind the curtain when it comes to delusion!

No, but all training is.  I think that's actually part of the definition of training.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent, aren't you the guy who created a whole race based around self-delusion? You're like the man behind the curtain, behind the curtain, behind the curtain when it comes to delusion!

Jeff, didn't you run and win that race in its inaugural year?

Dance, puppet, dance.