Hansons vs. Pfitzinger (Read 2722 times)

Yes, I like them too; the midweek medium-long run is a hallmark of the Pfitzinger plans. I like to toe the line in a marathon not feeling remotely intimidated by the distance, and Pfitzinger certainly prepares you well in that regard.

However, at this point, I've run 65 marathons and 17 ultras. I'm not intimidated by the distance. My legs might forget how to run long after a Hansons plan, but my mind wont.

This is the key point for me. I'd need to run more marathons on a Pfitz-like plan before having the confidence to try Hanson. 

I am learning...

On the other thread Once-a-Day Marathon Training (Yuki Kawauchi), people discussed about 90 min and 120 min magic numbers. Is it true to run as many run longer than 90 minutes would benefit as long as your body can afford? In that sense, Pfitzinger longer runs may be more favorable.

By the way, what's a tune-up race? is it a full effort?

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

onemile

I am learning...

On the other thread Once-a-Day Marathon Training (Yuki Kawauchi), people discussed about 90 min and 120 min magic numbers. Is it true to run as many run longer than 90 minutes would benefit as long as your body can afford? In that sense, Pfitzinger longer runs may be more favorable.

By the way, what's a tune-up race? is it a full effort?

There are a lot of weeks in the second half of the Hansons plan that will have 4-5 runs of over 10 miles each week, which is 90+ minutes for me.  (But I'm doing the plan with 2 miles added to each easy run, which is what Hansons suggest for adding mileage).  I have the plan in my Training log if you want to look. 

HermosaBoy

I have the plan in my Training log if you want to look. 

That sure isn't much of a taper!  I am also surprised with 6 mile runs on both of the days before your goal race.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

CMJHawk86

I have been reading the Hansons book and intend to try the plan for this cycle. Normally I do my own thing but after running 5 (out of a total 9) marathons between 3:20 and 3:23 I am looking to get off the 3:20 plateau. A fellow club member of mine, who I regularly whip at 5k races but who runs a 3:04 marathon told me what I need to do is "more miles and more MP miles. In any case, the real clincher for me is, that as I studied the Hansons plan my teammate's advice about MP mileage resonated with me and really jumped out from the tables. Bhearn's analysis even further reinforces that for me. 

I tend to be a low-mileage runner, barely topping 50 in my peak weeks, so even the Hanson beginner plan is a step up for me mileage-wise.  The beginner plan also leaves room for me to do XT such as biking and /or swimming 1-2 days a week which I find works for me, plus I will add extra volume to some of the easy runs. So I guess I'll really be doing something more than beginner, but not quite advanced. One thing that strikes me as odd within Hanson is they take a really hands-off attitude about XT, basically saying if you already do it, keep doing it if it's already part of your routine but don't use it to replace mileage. I guess at some point as the miles scale up my XT workouts will decrease for a while.

As for racing, I will stick a few races in there and shuffle the other days to accommodate them. I still find racing as the best way to get better even if not all races are "A" races. For my local club's winter series I have to run 5 races between now and mid-march; they range in distance from 10k to HM (the HM is actually this weekend) and the longer ones tend to come in the dead of winter (Dec/Jan to mid-Feb) with the shorter races as spring approaches. That sets up well for treating the long races as MP (i.e., Hanson tempo) type runs and the later races as LT (i.e., Hanson strength) runs. So I think it's workable.

Week 1 of 18 starts 12/17.

nickshawn

Sir Mix a Lot

I have used a plan purchased from the Hanson website for my last two marathons and have been pleased with the results. I have not read the book but from the OPs summary I can tell you that they are different, at least in mileage. The plan I have is a 16 week/ 80 mi max plan and has 6 LRs of 20 mis, and the the rest of the weeks are 16-18. I don't have it in front of me now but will post more details tonight when I get home.

FWIW - used an "adjusted" version for it for Philly in 2011 and went from a 3:37 PR to 3:21. For this cycle I reduced the mileage about 10%

For Chicago 2012 I stuck to the plan, including at least attempting all the speed/strength workouts and paces, and ran a 3:13. I stayed behind the 3:15 pacer until mile 24 and then sped up. My split for the last 2k as chip timed were at a 6:44 pace so I feel like I left a little bit of time on the table.

bhearn

I have used a plan purchased from the Hanson website for my last two marathons and have been pleased with the results. I have not read the book but from the OPs summary I can tell you that they are different, at least in mileage. The plan I have is a 16 week/ 80 mi max plan and has 6 LRs of 20 mis, and the the rest of the weeks are 16-18. I don't have it in front of me now but will post more details tonight when I get home.

I would be very interested to hear the details of this plan. Where on their website do you get custom plans?

I would be very interested to hear the details of this plan. Where on their website do you get custom plans?

They can be found here:

http://hansonscoachingservices.com/coaching/marathon-training-program/

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

FWIW - used an "adjusted" version for it for Philly in 2011 and went from a 3:37 PR to 3:21. For this cycle I reduced the mileage about 10%

For Chicago 2012 I stuck to the plan, including at least attempting all the speed/strength workouts and paces, and ran a 3:13. I stayed behind the 3:15 pacer until mile 24 and then sped up. My split for the last 2k as chip timed were at a 6:44 pace so I feel like I left a little bit of time on the table.

Why the 18-20 miler LRs when their staplke is no LR longer than 16?

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Why is it sideways?

Why the 18-20 miler LRs when their staplke is no LR longer than 16?

This is something that gets picked up on every time with Hansons, but it's not a crucial aspect of their approach.

With the 80 mpw plan, such as the one that nickshawn has used with great success, the LR still remains within the Hanson-suggested guidelines of not exceeding 25-30 percent of weekly mileage. 

Post Asthma Era PRs: 5K--18:39 (Mar 2016), 10K--39:40 (Feb 2018), HM--1:28:04 (Jan 2017), MAR--2:59:12 (November 2017)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Thanks for sharing this...big time.  Great breakdown.

Now I've gots some thinkin' to do.  Maybe some book readin' too.

**Ask me about streaking**

xor

They can be found here:

http://hansonscoachingservices.com/coaching/marathon-training-program/

The interesting thing to know about the custom Hansons plans is that they are not authored by either Hanson.  There's a different dude entirely (not named Hanson) that does that part of the business.

Does this matter?  No, not at all.  Just don't be shocked to find it not signed by a Hanson.

chubacca

The interesting thing to know about the custom Hansons plans is that they are not authored by either Hanson.  There's a different dude entirely (not named Hanson) that does that part of the business.

Does this matter?  No, not at all.  Just don't be shocked to find it not signed by a Hanson.

The custom Hansons plans are made by the same guy who actually wrote marathon training book, so I don't think that should be a surprise at all. (He also goes on in the book describing why he wrote the book and not the Hansons brothers themselves.)

Not shocking at all as they are very up front about it on the website. He's also the author of the book and has become a pretty public face for them. I noticed the following status update from their FB page this week:

"Hansons runners, we are very pleased to announce that Hansons Marathon Method author Luke Humphrey has joined this page as a moderator! Keep those questions coming. And of course, we love to hear about your PRs!"