Treadmill Advice (Read 1618 times)

Feeling the growl again

FWIW, I bought a Nordic Track Commercial 1750 just before Christmas (I paid extra $ for Santa and his elves to deliver it and set it up.  Hohoho!).  It's amazingly solid and quiet.  Of course, I only weigh 135 lbs, so it's not like a herd of elephants are running on it.

I only weigh 145-155 depending on my conditioning, and I just had to install the FOURTH deck on my SOLE in 4 years.  The last only went 3 months.  I knew the surface was cracking, which was why I had another deck on the way (their CS did send it free of charge after some goading on my part), but I tried to get a few more days out of the old one before taking 2 hours to do the replacement.  I finished a short/slow 4-miler, and as soon as I turned off the fans it smelled like the thing was on fire.  The surface was HOT.  I lubed it last week.

Your NT Commercial is what I'd buy if this thing died tomorrow.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

npaden

Well I hope you guys know what you are talking about!  Consumer reports agreed with you so hopefully they know what they are talking about too.

I just pulled the trigger on a Nordic Track Commercial 1750 this morning.  Just couldn't figure out how I was going to get in any kind of miles this fall and winter without putting in some of those miles after dark on a treadmill.

It was down to $1,350 on sale with free shipping and I found an online coupon for 10% off of that so I feel like I got a pretty good deal on it for $1,215.  They charged sales tax though so there went the discount I worked so hard for though!

Not sure how long it will take for them to ship it and I'll be installing it myself so that should be fun.  I'm not much of a treadmill guy, but I guess it is better than not getting in a run when I need to.  I still should be able to get my long runs in on the weekend outside, I'll just be spending some time inside on the weekdays on this thing as it starts to get dark earlier.

Thanks for the info.

Nathan

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

DoppleBock

I am just not within the boundries of a normal TM user, so its hard to translate

I have a Sole - 2nd one as they replaced the 1st unit for free with an upgraded unit 20 months into owning it.  I am not sure any TM is meant to use 6-8 hours straight by a 220 pound guy.  The replaced Sole TM I use only when I cannot make it to the YMCA or the YMCA will not be open long enough to fit in my run.  It has not lasted 15 months without a Service Call > 2,000 miles.  The fan does not work anymore - and it is starting to sound like the stabalizers are starting to do on the track.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

Well I hope you guys know what you are talking about!  Consumer reports agreed with you so hopefully they know what they are talking about too.

I just pulled the trigger on a Nordic Track Commercial 1750 this morning.  Just couldn't figure out how I was going to get in any kind of miles this fall and winter without putting in some of those miles after dark on a treadmill.

It was down to $1,350 on sale with free shipping and I found an online coupon for 10% off of that so I feel like I got a pretty good deal on it for $1,215.  They charged sales tax though so there went the discount I worked so hard for though!

Not sure how long it will take for them to ship it and I'll be installing it myself so that should be fun.  I'm not much of a treadmill guy, but I guess it is better than not getting in a run when I need to.  I still should be able to get my long runs in on the weekend outside, I'll just be spending some time inside on the weekdays on this thing as it starts to get dark earlier.

Thanks for the info.

Nathan

I am glad you did not buy a Sole.  After my prior post on this thread...literally days later...the control board in the Sole went out...less than 2 weeks after I'd installed the 4th deck.

The Sole....the non-thick metal pieces anyways...now sits on my rifle range backstop waiting to be used for target practice.

I replaced it with a Nordic Track Commercial 1500.  I like it a lot better than the Sole...it is quieter, uses a better deck design, and has the first in-treadmill fan that I have ever found truly effective. 

At the urging of a friend who has one, I opted for the extended warranty plan (I never buy them).   He indicated he had used it for the electronics as the machine aged, IIRC.  Well, about 4-6 weeks after I started using mine buttons on the console quit working.  I called CS...three times, as the first two were incapable of doing their job and I got nowhere with them.  Finally on the third they agreed to send me a new console after trying to charge me for it on a month-old machine under full warranty.  I installed it myself.  That console laster another month before giving the same issues, at which time I told them I wanted a new console and a tech to service the machine.  This CS experience went MUCH more smoothly.  The tech told me overall they are decent machines and the only problems he really sees with them are....consoles!  A software issue that causes them to go bad.  He said I'd just have to cross my fingers that the replacement had the updated software.  He also found a potential short in the wiring that had been there from manufacture.  It's been about a month since the servicing; so far, so good.  I do enjoy the machine.

You will have no issues with the assembly, other than perhaps getting the machine where you need it.  If you did not pay for in-house delivery you will need help to move it.  I had two buddies help me carry it upstairs (I took the pieces out of the huge box) and it went pretty easy.  I also recommend a set of helping hands when you get to installing the console assembly.  I did it alone but it was difficult to balance it and insert the bolts at the same time.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

npaden

Well I hope I get a good one then! 

I didn't buy the extended warranty, it says it has a 5 year parts and electronics and 2 year labor warranty, so hopefully if anything goes wrong it will go wrong quickly like yours did though.

There evidently is a new model out, they are both the 1750, but one has a NTL14010 model and the new one is NTL14011 model. The main difference was some software features with the new one, but now I'm wondering if I should have sprung the extra $75 for the latest software if it could avoid problems down the road.

I was expecting to need someone to help me move it in.  Consumer Reports showed that it weighs something like 325lbs.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Nordic Track 1750 is great.  iFit live is sooooo much fun.  Enjoy!

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

I was expecting to need someone to help me move it in.  Consumer Reports showed that it weighs something like 325lbs.

Surely that animal in your avatar weighs more than the treadmill! :-)

npaden

Surely that animal in your avatar weighs more than the treadmill! :-)

Yeah, at least twice as much, but it came out in much more manageable pieces with the help of a sharp knife.  I did have a guy helping me with it as well.

I think the treadmill has one piece that is going to be over 200lbs and it has to go up the stairs.  I guess that's better than 4 miles from the trailhead which is where I was when that picture in my avatar was taken.

npaden

Any of you using the iFit Live feature?  For $30 I can get a 2nd year of it if I pay it in advance.

They just sent me an email telling me they would give an extra year of extended warranty if I bought that now too.  4 years for $180.  That would make it 9 years parts and electronics and 6 year in-home labor.

Hmm...  I normally hate extended warranties.

Feeling the growl again

I've never carried more than 100lbs of elk over a mountain at one time.  A staircase is a much shorter distance but you can't pack a treadmill into a backpack nearly as well.

I use it whenever I use my treadmill.  I'm a fan. Makes running on a treadmill okay. I don't run on the treadmill often as I like going outside, but sometimes the option isn't really there.  It lets me travel without traveling.  It also will let you run a course without having to travel to the actual location since elevation adjusts automatically. It gives you a chance for rehearsal before an event. The races make it a little more entertaining as well.  My first year was free, and I just renewed my second year.

Any of you using the iFit Live feature?  For $30 I can get a 2nd year of it if I pay it in advance.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Feeling the growl again

I have not tried it as I already pay for a DVR and flatscreen dedicated to the treadmill.  However the auto incline thing sounds compelling.

...smile :)

We have a ~10 old Pacemaster at home. Both me and my wife use it pretty much daily and we've never had any problems with it. 

upset

Below is my personal experience with the company.   The bottom line is BUYER BEWARE.

I ordered a top of the line Smooth Fitness Elliptical trainer in OCTOBER of 2012.

I received an email confirmation of the order with tracking information.  A few weeks later I received the floor mat for the machine.  Online tracking information kept reading "in transit" so a month later I wrote an email to them asking for a status update.  NO ANSWER other than the automatic replay stating my question had been received.

I called a week later (thinking it was the holiday time and orders may be backed up) and after speaking with the first representative was transferred to a manager Ms. Linda Manfriedi.  She explained that there had been a legal battle with the US distribution center and that their inventory was "being held hostage" but that my unit "was here."  She apologized and offered $200 credit back on my order.  She assured me the unit would ship the first week of December.

I called back the THIRD week of December when I had not heard anything and NO CREDIT POSTED.  I waited over 12 min's on hold and was forced to leave a message.  I left all information and asked for an immediate call back.  NO CALL BACK.  I called two days later and left another message – NO CALL BACK.  I called back two days later and spoke with Kevin when Ms. Manfriedi was not available.  I left message on her personal voicemail but was told by Kevin "they are here, but not sure when they can ship."  NO CALL BACK from Ms. Manfriedi.

At this point it was OVER TWO MONTHS from the date of original order and I had called/contacted this company no less than SIX times with a very poor service.  (they had yet to answer a single voicemail)   I had still not received the promised $200 credit on my card and they could still not give me a definitive ship date.  As a further insult, the online price had dropped over $200 from the price I had paid (for the holiday sale) which they were very happy to take new orders for.

I called back again and spoke with Ms. Manfriedi.  I told her the entire story again and expressed my extreme displeasure.  She was unable again to give me a ship date but promised again that "they are here and ready to ship."  I asked for a refund and SHE REFUSED.  She told me that "the other company" had my money and I would HAVE TO GO THROUGH MY CREDIT CARD to get my money back.

I cancelled the order entirely and called American Express.  6 weeks later I have my credit.  Thank goodness for AMEX.  In the meantime, I found a company that specializes in used CLUB GRADE equipment and bought a precor unit (less than 2 years old) for less than the sale price of the Smooth Fitness unit.  It's fully refurbished, works perfectly and has a warranty.

BeeRunB

Have had a replacement Pacemaster for 6 years now. The first one we bought had a problem that couldn't be solved, so Pacemaster sent us a whole new TM for free. In the last 6 years, we had to replace the motor about a year ago (part was free, labor was just 140.00) and that's it. The deck has never had to be replaced yet. We do a lot of running on the TM between us (at least 1500 miles a year, sometimes more). I can vouch for the company being true to their warranty. Both TM guys we've had also vouch for Pacemaster and their professionalism. If there's a problem, it'll be taken care of quickly without hassle.