Garmin 410 - A review (Read 2413 times)

Tiefsa

I just got a Garmin 410 with heart rate monitor.  It is amazing seeing all that data.  

Basically it said I'm slow and that my heart rate is really high when I run slow.  Thanks Garmin!

I guess that is a motivator to get into good shape.  My heart rate average for a three mile run at about 7:30 pace was 162.  I really don't know what it all means other than I should slow down, I think?

I've been using it for a couple weeks now.  If you are interested in a Garmin Watch - you can check my garmin forerunner review for the 410.  

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That's a good number.

0 is a bad number.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

If you are conscious and see 0, perhaps it is just instrumentation.  DO NOT SHOCK YOURSELF.  YET.

I just got a Garmin 410 with heart rate monitor.  It is amazing seeing all that data.  

Basically it said I'm slow and that my heart rate is really high when I run slow.  Thanks Garmin!

I guess that is a motivator to get into good shape.  My heart rate average for a three mile run at about 7:30 pace was 162.  I really don't know what it all means other than I should slow down, I think?

Absolute heart rates don't really mean a lot as there's a really big variation in max heart rates and resting heart rates. What you really want to do is find out your max heart rate (google for it) and then think in terms of % of max.

Marylander

I wish I could run 3 miles at 7:30 pace with a heart rate of 162. Even more, I wish I could call that slow. Wink

I wish I could run 3 miles at 7:30 pace with a heart rate of 162. Even more, I wish I could call that slow. Wink

+1

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

HermosaBoy

In my experience, when you first start using the HRM -- your HR will be higher.  Maybe it's anticipating or something of that nature, but I think you will see it drop a bit after a very short time period.

My stats were a lot worse than that when I started.  Then again, it's just a data point.  I try not to get too hung up on it.  Fun to look at after the fact...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

+2

I have never even had a transient 7:30 pace going full out down hill with a tail wind! Clown 

Not knowing your age it's hard to say if that is high. You don't say if the 7:30 pace was conversational or not so hard to determine if you were in aerobic range or not. note also that your log is not open so cannot be reviewed by our local experts (I'm not one for sure!).

bob e v
                  2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Shoe

+2

I have never even had a transient 7:30 pace going full out down hill with a tail wind! Clown 

Not knowing your age it's hard to say if that is high. You don't say if the 7:30 pace was conversational or not so hard to determine if you were in aerobic range or not. note also that your log is not open so cannot be reviewed by our local experts (I'm not one for sure!).

Even if we knew his age it would be hard.  Those maximum heart rate formulas are bogus and true maximums vary wildly.  Perceived effort would say something.

Tiefsa

I'm 34, so my max heart rate according to several different formulas should be in the high 180's.  There are five different zones for training, and I was in zone four of five for this run.  I'm out of shape - I admit that.  The thing that was surprising was it said I was at 4.8.  Any harder and I would have been training at the highest level.  I'm trying to follow a workout plan where you run according to heartrate, and if I were to do a distance run at level one (between 90 and about 120) someone would have to push me in a stroller to keep my heart rate at level one right now.  It's confusing, that's all.

I guess I shouldn't worry too much, like many have said.  As long as it doesn't register zero! Smile

HermosaBoy

I guess I shouldn't worry too much, like many have said.  As long as it doesn't register zero! Smile

Just run and record the data.  Try some slower runs and faster runs.  After a given period of time, see what the data looks like. 

Until you have something to compare, you are just shooting in the dark.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I'm 34, so my max heart rate according to several different formulas should be in the high 180's.  There are five different zones for training, and I was in zone four of five for this run.  I'm out of shape - I admit that.  The thing that was surprising was it said I was at 4.8.  Any harder and I would have been training at the highest level.  I'm trying to follow a workout plan where you run according to heartrate, and if I were to do a distance run at level one (between 90 and about 120) someone would have to push me in a stroller to keep my heart rate at level one right now.  It's confusing, that's all.

Throw the formula in the trash and run a race with a good sprint effort at the end, thne add a couple beats to get your Max HR. Better yet, go get your LT tested and use HR zones based on your LT.

I'm 42 and have a Max of 200.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

northernman

Fight The Future

You say Garmin only sells two runners watches now? And neither with real push buttons? That's bad. Not sure what I'll do when my 305 breaks. My hands get too sweaty for the glass buttons (or capacitative, or whatever they are called)

I'm 34, so my max heart rate according to several different formulas should be in the high 180's.  

Heart rate formulae don't mean much for any one individual - you need to test your max heart rate if you want to know what it is.

I'm 45 and my max heart rate is around 205...

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

You say Garmin only sells two runners watches now? And neither with real push buttons? That's bad. Not sure what I'll do when my 305 breaks. My hands get too sweaty for the glass buttons (or capacitative, or whatever they are called)

Unless that is a recent development like 5 days, I think Garmin does have GPS watches with physical buttons. The 210 for sure does; it also has foot pod and HR monitoring.

Mine is 5 months old, but a few in my club have bought them in the past week.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                                Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?