first time outside (Read 833 times)

Okay, well I ran outside yesterday for the first time in a long time. I ran about 6 miles which is about what I do on the treadmill. It confused me. For one I didn't really feel like I was running. It was only 45 degrees so I didn't really sweat or anything. I wasn't sore or tired when I'd finished. The wind was blowing and I was freezing but still managed to keep about the same pace as I do on the treadmill. Usually when I get off the treadmill the sweat is pouring and I feel like I had a good workout (Never use an incline). Yesterday I felt as if I never even ran. Does your body use the same amount of calories, is it still a good workout. Advice please
    Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've never run on a treadmill, but now I don't think I want to try. I would think most things would be equal, as far as calories burned--you might be burning MORE outdoors when it's chilly, since your body has to work harder to stay warm.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Well when I went from the TM to outdoors my pace dropped from 10min/mile to over 13min/mile, but I went from air conditioning to 95 degree heat, using a HR Monitor. I suspect is that you went to that 45 degrees, my understanding is that at about 55 degrees one doesn't need any extra clothing to run, below that then maybe a jacket is required. That is why you probably didn't feel like you ran. The real test comes after about 24 to 48 hours and see what your body feels like then. Trust me you are working harder out doors then on the TM. Go slow.
        Age is not an illusion

Finished!

wow. When I went outdoors, I definitely felt the difference! I will admit, I much much much prefer running outdoors than running on a dreadmill. I'm not looking forward to when it gets hot again and I'm forced indoors for training.
          Walk + Jog = wog.
          I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
          I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
            I always found I could run much faster on a TM but I can't stand running inside nasty gyms. I always thought the TM was an easier workout. OTOH, I've run in 30-40 temps before and it's surprisingly comfortable... once the extremities regain their feeling at about mile 2 or 3. LOL. I guess I'm no help...don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing? Shy

Jennifer mm#1231

Okay so...now two days later and I feel so tight. My treadmill is at home so I run on it frequently... for the last two days I feltl so heavy when I run where as I usually feel springy. So maybe it was all about the temp. I have my first 5k on Saturday (the same course I ran) so I probably won't run again outside. I even practice ashanga yoga daily and still feel so tight! I guess outdoors is a better workout. I'm use to running over 100 miles monthly indoors...I'm destined to be a treadmill runner--what an ego blow for me!!! lol You guys are the experts so thanks for the imput.
              Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I really think the more you run outdoors, the more your body will acclimate and you will enjoy it. You use different muscles, so in a way you're like a brand new runner on that different surface. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Don't forget that DOMS can hit 24-48 hours later, so dont rush to assume anything. Also if you are mimicking your treadmill speed and time you might want to mix it up and confuse your body into a shorter and faster or hills or a long run. Simon

Prophet!

am i the only one that feels the opposite way...had to run on the treadmill last week and find that I struggled to keep up my regular pace...maybe the speed thing is off on the treadmill
                      Don't give up on the outside Chloe36. It is alot like starting from scratch & you'll get used to it.
                      So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                        No your not the only one. I DETEST the treadmill and it when I run on it I swear it feels like I have shin splints for the first couple miles. I definetly do better outside!
                        am i the only one that feels the opposite way...had to run on the treadmill last week and find that I struggled to keep up my regular pace...maybe the speed thing is off on the treadmill

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I DETEST the treadmill and it when I run on it I swear it feels like I have shin splints for the first couple miles. I definetly do better outside!
                          Me too with the shin splints! I wonder what causes this...? My pace is about the same but it definitely makes my leg muscles work differently.
                            I think the speed on my treadmill is definately off because I seem to gain about 2 min/mile.. I am definately going to stick to running outside if possible.
                            vicentefrijole

I've noticed the same effect. Perhaps the speed displays on these things are notoriously bad? I know that treadmills do change your form (to compensate for a moving surface), so perhaps it takes different muscles to excel on a treadmill than on the road? Not to keep bashing treadmills (if they work for you, more power to ya!) but I find the worst part is how disorientated they make me feel. Something about exerting myself without actually seeing the scenery change... when I get off of one I feel really off balance (like being a a boat for too long). I had to run a 12 miler on one once (since I was staying at an airport hotel and the airport security wouldn't let me out on the runway! Big grin) and I felt almost nauseous after I finished. All that said, I do like to do a few miles on mine to warm up before I go out on a run in the rain.
                              JakeKnight

A great big ol' ditto to all of the above comments on treadmills. Treadmills are machines of the devil. Dead Like Vincente said, they make me distinctly seasick after awhile. And there is just something ... different ... not sure how to describe it ... about the whole dreadmill experience. Maybe more importantly, the treadmill (in my never humble opinion) seems to suck the life right out of running. Half of the point, for me, is actually *moving* somewhere. Running the Tennessee hills, trees a myriad of multi-colored hues, tripping over wild turkeys and wild Vanderbilt co-eds ... that's running. To me. I think all treadmills should be housed in Guantanamo Bay. Of course, the Supreme Court wouldn't let us make terrorists them. Because *that* would definitely be torture. Cool Thus endeth the sermon on the evils of Satan's dreadmill device. For what it's worth, I of course own one, and it cost more than some people's cars. Evil thing. As for your original post, I think others were right: the cooler termperature just made you *think* you weren't working. You were probably working harder than ever. Cool

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------