Internet TV (Read 828 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Heh. Yeah, Samsung is on record as saying that Apple does not scare them. But Samsung's products can be flimsy.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think with Amazon Prime it's just certain shows/movies that are included. You can rent/buy other stuff from Amazon Instant Video. Amazon Prime videos and Amazon Instant Videos are 2 different things.

Ahhh...OK, that's kind of what I was thinking when I was looking, but I wasn't sure.  Amazon could do a lot to make the 2 services clearer.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ahhh...OK, that's kind of what I was thinking when I was looking, but I wasn't sure.  Amazon could do a lot to make the 2 services clearer.

I guess it is also confusing because if you're not a Prime member (i'm not), there's stuff that is free for Prime but rentable/buyable for non Prime people.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh. Yeah, Samsung is on record as saying that Apple does not scare them. But Samsung's products can be flimsy.

I wonder what Apple TVs would cost?  I have an LG monitor with specs that are better than a comparable Apple monitor and LOVE it.  It cost about a third what the Apple would have cost, as well.  I'm an Apple fan, but I'm not sure their monitors are really worth the price.  I wouldn't buy a Samsung monitor or another TV after our experience, though.

~ Sarah Kay

There are some shows (Weeds, Mad Men, How I Met Your Mother) I got hooked on through Netflix and now have to wait wait wait for the new seasons to someday show up on Netflix. But I don't mind. And it's also kind of nice to be able to watch a whole season in its entirety on my own schedule.

I wonder what Apple TVs would cost?  I have an LG monitor with specs that are better than a comparable Apple monitor and LOVE it.  It cost about a third what the Apple would have cost, as well.  I'm an Apple fan, but I'm not sure their monitors are really worth the price.  I wouldn't buy a Samsung monitor or another TV after our experience, though.

I sure wouldn't buy another Samsung smartphone. Samsuck indeed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I sure wouldn't buy another Samsung smartphone. Samsuck indeed.

One of my best cells was a Samsung (Juke...loved that goofy little phone, though it wasn't useful as anything more than a really portable phone...texting was a nightmare)...and one of my worst was also a Samsung (Alias 2).

~ Sarah Kay

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

My sister is a huge How I Met Your Mother fan.  Wow, that would take a long time to get caught up!

Not really.  You just fast forward to the Barney parts and skip over the rest. Wink

The problem with Hulu Plus is that you also get the commercial interruptions.  The only real benefit of Plus over normal Hulu is that you can watch it on your TV.  Oh, and you get to see episodes closer to their air-date by a week.

I had Prime last year but decided it was costing me more in impulse buying than "let's see, just $2 more to my cart for free shipping" did.  I think I watched 1 Prime movie.  The selection was pretty bad last year and the fee is obnoxious when you already have Netflix and Redbox available.  Perhaps the biggest hurdle is that your Netflix ratings don't transfer over the Prime -- that doesn't sound so bad until you order something only to find out you already watched it on Netflix 2 years ago.

BTW: I use a standard Blu-Ray DVD player that has software for streaming that i picked up for $160.

I'm still looking for an AMC hookup, though.  Mrs. Stadjak and I host Mad Men Martini Mondays for a group of friends and colleagues.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Both seasons of The Walking Dead are available in high quality free online. New episodes usually stream an hour or so after they air. No downloads, no subscriptions, no commercials. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Both seasons of The Walking Dead are available in high quality free online. New episodes usually stream an hour or so after they air. No downloads, no subscriptions, no commercials. 

Interesting...

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've got a Kindle Fire and Amazon Prime.  Love 'em.  I'm not a big tv viewer, but I've been enjoying Arrested Development and Sons of Anarchy.  Pretty much limiting myself to the "free" things, though DW & I paid for one movie recently.  And, yes, impulse buying is incredibly easy.

Maybe this helps you see what is free with Prime.  Downton Abby and Dora are biggies, right?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Maybe this helps you see what is free with Prime.  Downton Abby and Dora are biggies, right?

I'm afraid of Downton Abbey...it sounds like it carries a very high addiction potential.

X-Files is on there...danger!!!!  I priced the full set recently...it's hard to find and VERY expensive!  I miss my Mulder and Sculley adventures, though. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thought of another question...what sort of broadband speeds does one need to do Internet TV services?  Right now we've got the slowest cable package, because we don't really need to stream faster.  I'm assuming with HD we'd have to bump up to a faster package...?

~ Sarah Kay

Why is it sideways?

Thought of another question...what sort of broadband speeds does one need to do Internet TV services?  Right now we've got the slowest cable package, because we don't really need to stream faster.  I'm assuming with HD we'd have to bump up to a faster package...?

You shouldn't have to upgrade your service.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You shouldn't have to upgrade your service.

Really?  That would be cool.  I know HD movie trailers take a while to download, though, so I wonder if our connection is fast enough.  I'd have to check with the hubby, but I think our speed is only 15mbps, at best.

~ Sarah Kay