Athlete dies in a tri (Read 2691 times)

Two more triathletes died this weekend in the swim portion of short triathlons. The first was NJ State and the 2nd was Spudman in Idaho.
    seeEricaRun

Awesome

This is the first thing I thought of as well. Always during the swim. So very sad... Sad
      Anyone have any theories why? Gasp reflex? Lack of training? That it's so easy to panic? Emergencies are caught too late?

Best Present Ever

Anyone have any theories why? Gasp reflex? Lack of training? That it's so easy to panic? Emergencies are caught too late?
        there was an article in the NYTimes about this: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/31/fashion/31fitness.html the gist was that maybe swimming in cold water triggers a certain kind of arrythmia and that fainting is often an early warning sign. that would be fine during a run -- you'd faint, convert to normal sinus and/or get help, , and the episode would pass. Fainting while swimming obviously poses a more serious problem. They also point out that the open water swim is hard.
        seeEricaRun

Awesome

there was an article in the NYTimes about this: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/31/fashion/31fitness.html the gist was that maybe swimming in cold water triggers a certain kind of arrythmia and that fainting is often an early warning sign.
          Thanks for finding this great article! I've been wondering about this.

Running Dad

there was an article in the NYTimes about this: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/31/fashion/31fitness.html the gist was that maybe swimming in cold water triggers a certain kind of arrythmia and that fainting is often an early warning sign. that would be fine during a run -- you'd faint, convert to normal sinus and/or get help, , and the episode would pass. Fainting while swimming obviously poses a more serious problem. They also point out that the open water swim is hard.
            I believe the arrhythmia here would be a Bradycardia in which the heart rate bottoms out. And yes cold water would do this. Among other things bearing down in the bathroom(#2), holding your breath, vomiting and so on. Unfortunately passing out(syncopal episode) is one of the side effects of this rhythm. It's bad enough as someone who works out we already have low heart rates and when you cause a Vagal response it can drop to a deadly consequence. Just this morning I had a patient who had this same thing happen to him while he was running a boat towards the ocean. My partner knew I was serious about this man when I calmly started asking for the monitor and stuff without trying to alert the patients family. People just need to be aware of their bodies and know when to stop. Stupid thing to say but it's the truth.
            Things to do this year:
            Not get an injury
            Things done this year:
            Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??

Best Present Ever

I believe the arrhythmia here would be a Bradycardia in which the heart rate bottoms out. quote> actually, it's a long QT interval that is suspected.

Gotta TRI

Umm, there's no sharks in fresh water. Just sayin
                2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                JakeKnight

Sure about that?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

12-week layoff

http://www.clarkecountydemocrat.com/News/2004/0729/Sports/022.html Bull sharks can live in fresh water. A bull shark bit off the right arm of a guy I work with, while he was training for a triathlon. He was swimming in salt water at the time, but bull sharks have attacked and eaten people in rivers that are open to salt water.
                      Another triathlete died in the Escape from the Rock triathlon (swim portion) this last weekend.

Gotta TRI

http://www.clarkecountydemocrat.com/News/2004/0729/Sports/022.html Bull sharks can live in fresh water. A bull shark bit off the right arm of a guy I work with, while he was training for a triathlon. He was swimming in salt water at the time, but bull sharks have attacked and eaten people in rivers that are open to salt water.
                        Ok. I stand corrected.
                        2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                          I saw this happen in the swim leg of a tri I was spectating here in MO, a very young guy, I think he was 28. My husband and I went to scope things out, as I was gearing up for my first sprint a year and a half ago. I didn't tell my family about it until after I finished my race.

uncontrollable

Sitting in front of the tube eating chips & dip with a beer will also eventually possibly contribute to death by a heart attack - if that was bringing happiness to that couch potatoe's life = I guess it was worth the risk. I enjoy being active - I'll take the accompanying risks!

peace