Ladies, edumacate me please... (Read 1138 times)

My wife has recently decided to take up running (YAY!!) and this opens up a whole new avenue for potential Christmas gifts. I've told her about running skirts (because all of the women here and on the Runner's World forums RAVE about them) and she seems agreeable to the idea of trying one out. What should I be looking for, who has them at the best prices (we're on a bit of a tight budget this year) and how does sizing work? Do they all come with compression shorts underneath, or are some of them skirt only?
    The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. -- Juma Ikangaa, Tanzanian marathoner

Help to defeat Lou Gehrig's Disease. Please sponsor me in The Ride to Defeat ALS. I'm riding in memory of my dad.
    http://runpebsrun.blogspot.com
      Here are some previous posts. skirts - trisherunner skirts - jlynnbob http://www.skirtgoddess.com Skirt user jlynnbob mentions May eric will make a runningahead.com skirt Cool modal

Vim

http://www.runningskirts.com/ I haven't tried one yet but I have read lots of good stuff about these skirts

Every time I mention them to my wife she just laughs at the people that wear them. She thinks that they are the stupidest idea that anybody has ever come up with. I think that talking her into trying one is going to take a lot of work...(obviously, I have nothing of value to contribute to this thread.)

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I have one. I won't get anymore. The once or twice I wore it outside I felt silly. I feel like I should be slipping into heels when I put it on! I will wear it when I run on the treadmill though, it's comfy and my husband really likes it. Smile

Michelle

I have a running skirt from Nike with built-in shorts. I think it's adorable, but I don't wear it a lot. Here are some other great gift ideas for your new runner (in all price ranges): - iPod or MP3 player - Nike + chip if you already have a Nano - Garmin - Sports Watch - Gift certificate to local running store - Sports massage or pedicure - Membership in Active.com where you can register for races - Subscription to Runners World magazine (or other fitness publication) - Home-made gift certificates for her to redeem with you for: (1) baby-sitting while she runs; (2) after run massage; (3) pasta dinner of her choice; (4) run together on her favorite trail - Registration in an upcoming race - Weekend getaway trip to a race or cool running location - Treadmill - Running charm bracelet (every goal/race gets a new charm) - Running journal Hope this helps. Sara
                I haven't tried the skirts yet. I am not sure I would feel comfortable in it myself, even though I do think they look cute on most people I've seen wearing them. I am very partial to my particular style of Adidas shorts because of the zip pocket on the backside and my iPod fits into it just right. Wink If our budget allows hubby and I to exchange Christmas gifts this year, I am going to ask for a gift card to the local New Balance store so that I can get new running shoes after the first of the year. I know it's not romantic but running-wise it's the most useful (for me anyway). Sara has some great ideas up there too! The only thing I'd add to that list is a heart rate monitor.
                ---- Cynthia
                  OK, I'll step up and say that I love running skirts. The first time I wore one I was really self-consious but I understood why people loved them. They are lightweight, provide a little extra coverage from just compression shorts, let the breeze flow through and are cute. I understand some people think they are silly, but after trying them out there is no way I would give them up. I wouldn't care if someone made fun of me since I am usually out there enjoying my run. I like the way they feel and look and I haven't found shorts that are as nice to run in as the skirts are yet. I've worn them for my past few races and have seen other people racing in them too. Skirt people are very friendly Smile I have two running skirts, a C9 one from champion (a fitness skirt with shorts underneath but it works fine for running) and a skirtsports.com one (gymgirl) with compression shorts. I like the shorts underneath just cause they restrict chaffing and are a little more covering, so if I stop to stretch I'm not worried that people think the attached briefs are underwear. Some people really like the runningskirts.com kind with just the brief underneath though. I still wear compression shorts for some runs, but since I don't like how traditional running shorts ride up on me, it's nice to have the option of wearing the skirt some days. I think skirtsports is having a sale on some of their skirts, for around $40. The marathongirl style just has briefs underneath while the gymgirl has compression shorts. Their sizing can be funny, but I've heard they are good with returns. I wear a medium in pretty much everything and my medium gymgirl is perfect. The Champion medium is actually a little big, so I sewed elastic into the shorts to keep them from riding up. It's nice of you to think of a gift like this for your wife! My husband is also a big fan of the running skirt. Have you convinced her to log her runs on RA yet? MTA: Where is Kirsten today? I KNOW she's got something to say about running skirts!
                    It's nice of you to think of a gift like this for your wife! My husband is also a big fan of the running skirt. Have you convinced her to log her runs on RA yet?
                    Actually, she's used it sporadically for cycling already. I've been using it for a couple of years for logging my running and cycling as well and turned her on to it when we bought her bike.
                    The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. -- Juma Ikangaa, Tanzanian marathoner

Help to defeat Lou Gehrig's Disease. Please sponsor me in The Ride to Defeat ALS. I'm riding in memory of my dad.
                      That's cool that she's going to start running. When I first got serious about running (again) I went out and bought myself some books and magazines. Maybe she'd enjoy a good book about running. Oh, along with a gift card for somewhere that she can buy some running clothes from. Big grin

Michelle

madness baby

Every time I mention them to my wife she just laughs at the people that wear them. She thinks that they are the stupidest idea that anybody has ever come up with. I think that talking her into trying one is going to take a lot of work...(obviously, I have nothing of value to contribute to this thread.)
                        Sorry, dude, that you won't get the chance to see her in one. It works pretty well in my house. Wink
                        deb
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My wife has recently decided to take up running (YAY!!) and this opens up a whole new avenue for potential Christmas gifts. I've told her about running skirts (because all of the women here and on the Runner's World forums RAVE about them) and she seems agreeable to the idea of trying one out. What should I be looking for, who has them at the best prices (we're on a bit of a tight budget this year) and how does sizing work? Do they all come with compression shorts underneath, or are some of them skirt only?
                          I'm a BIG fan of the skirt and I see more and more at every race. At the last warmer weather race I ran there were only a few hundred people, maybe 150 women, but there were at least a dozen of us in skirts--that's a pretty high percentage. I like them because I have weird thighs and no matter how thin I am I get that bunched-up inner-thigh thing with shorts. In HS I was a tiny thing, but I had to wear compression shorts under our track team shorts to avoid that sensation--plus that was pre Body Glide (or at least before I was aware of the stuff). I have a couple of of NB skirts that I like, but the compression shorts ride up a bit on me...they are comfy, but end up more like boyshorts. Also, this year's NB model of skirt (Bonita) has no pockets, which I find annoying if I need to take my keys with me (last year's model had a small pocket in the liner short, so I'm not sure why they eliminated it this year). My favorite skirts have been the runningskirts.com ones. I like the ones with the built-in brief. At first I thought I'd feel self-conscious, but the skirt doesn't fly up, so I don't end up flashing anyone. The briefs really fit well and stay where they belong, too--no chafing. I wear undies under running pants and tights and sometimes run into chafing issues with those, but that's another bonus of the skirt, since the attached panty eliminates the need for anything else underneath. I find that the runningskirts.com skirts run pretty true to size (their sizing chart is here). The waist is fairly low and some women feel it's a bit too generous...I don't know, my waist is fairly small compared to my hips/rear and I don't think it's too loose. I think it's just that it's lower-waisted than other skirts that makes it feel roomier. It also doesn't have a snug elastic waistband, which I think we get accustomed to with running shorts, pants, tights, etc. The panty is really what holds the whole shebang up. Sara also has some really great suggestions for gift ideas. I think any combo would go over really well! Smile k Edited because I don't type so well early in the AM, apparently... Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Cool! thanks for all the replies guys. Big grin I'm going to check all this out and see what I can find for her.