Addictive web site (Read 684 times)

AnneCA

p.s. Does time count, i.e. if you're speedy, do you score higher?

Yeah, I’ve wondered about scoring.  Whether time counts, and whether they’re graded for difficulty or not.  Like, does being 5k away from a sheep ranch on a dirt road in rural Queensland get you more points than being 5k away from some well-signed corner or obvious landmark?  Although, how would they do that – they’d have to have someone out there picking spots to put in the game, and giving them ratings.  Plus, what’s hard for one player may not be hard for another (who knows Russian, ahem).

I have been put down on paths and other odd places.  Once in front of a castle in St. Petersburg, once in a park/memorial of the Nagasaki ruins.  Guessed both of those without Googling (something about a blue-painted castle in St. P rang a bell, so I got close, and I knew the ruins weren’t Hiroshima – peace pavilion in the urban center, right? -- which left Nagasaki).  Once in a soccer stadium in Germany.

The no-navigation ones are a nightmare.  Here you are, on a wooded shoreline, mountains in the distance, no distinguishing characteristics, no signs, no cars, no people, WTH? 

MrH

Plus, what’s hard for one player may not be hard for another (who knows Russian, ahem). 

I played competitive chess in my youth and studied Russian chess magazines. Little did I know it would be so useful all these years later.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

You people have issues 

Hip Redux

Has it ever put you on a walking path?  It put me in a garden surrounding some palace in Denmark.  Very pretty.  No clue.  There was a tiny guard station with a curlicue on the roof.

I got onto some sort of hiking trail.

My husband got dumped into what appeared to be someone's backyard.  LOL

Will run for scenery.

Plus, what’s hard for one player may not be hard for another (who knows Russian, ahem).

Yeah, one of my easy ones was a freeway on the outskirts of Челябнск.

Sure is easier on a computer, instead of a smartphone !

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The no-navigation ones are a nightmare.  Here you are, on a wooded shoreline, mountains in the distance, no distinguishing characteristics, no signs, no cars, no people, WTH? 

That...and the ones where it won't let me move more than maybe a quarter mile in 2 directions...in the middle of nowhere in Brazil...but it looks like Africa or Australia...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

WTH,  It put me in someone's living room, which I guessed Japan by the alphabet on some books, but where in Japan? Other than that I am getting better at this with a decent score despite guessing Belgium  on seeing a bus for some place in Holland  (a mountain town with a bunch of tourists), who knew you can take  bus from Croatia to Holland.

xhristopher

I just landed in Provincetown. Easiest one yet!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

WTH,  It put me in someone's living room, which I guessed Japan by the alphabet on some books, but where in Japan? Other than that I am getting better at this with a decent score despite guessing Belgium  on seeing a bus for some place in Holland  (a mountain town with a bunch of tourists), who knew you can take  bus from Croatia to Holland.

And Google claims they aren't invading anyone's privacy.  Maybe I should google my own living room. Wink

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Okay y'all, let's up the stakes.  I got a paltry 14210 on this challenge; can you do better?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I got plopped onto the middle of the Midway Atoll -- that was surreal.  What a lot of birds!!

~ Sarah Kay

Hip Redux

I got plopped onto the middle of the Midway Atoll -- that was surreal.  What a lot of birds!!

Me too.   So many ducks.  lol

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

"

Your guess was 0.167 km from the correct location and gave 6465 points."

OMG, I KNEW that was near Marinette, MI, in the Upper Peninsula...and I haven't been there in at least 25 years.  My visual memory from childhood road trips is kinda freaky!

~ Sarah Kay

GC100k

Okay y'all, let's up the stakes.  I got a paltry 14210 on this challenge; can you do better?

http://url.geoguessr.com/3nPC

"

Your guess was 0.167 km from the correct location and gave 6465 points."

OMG, I KNEW that was near Marinette, MI, in the Upper Peninsula...and I haven't been there in at least 25 years.  My visual memory from childhood road trips is kinda freaky!

Getting a downtown location with street signs makes this so much easier, if not fair (livingston MT)

Your guess was 0.047 km from the correct location and gave 6475 points.