Lessons learned from running... (Read 1272 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

In no particular order: • Running is not nearly as inexpensive a sport as the uninitiated might believe. • Running a race is rarely about "winning" in the traditional sense for most of us. • There is no shame in coming in last place. • Non-runners often tell us we're nuts, but it almost always is accompanied by thinly veiled intrigue and envy. • I've learned that I'm capable of so much more than I ever imagined when I started running just over a year ago. • 13.1 miles is really not as far as it seems. • GU is not as nasty as I had expected it to be. • iPods are worth far more than their weight in gold. • 99¢/song really adds up. • I get bored with those 99¢ songs pretty quickly. • Running isn't nearly as conducive to weight loss as all of the "experts" paint it to be. • It's good to be a girl...boys don't have the option to run in a skirt (at least now without raising eyebrows). What things have you learned from running...? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

• It's good to be a girl...boys don't have the option to run in a skirt (at least now without raising eyebrows).
      Have you seen this? And, while on my run today, my husband drove by, THANKFULLY, and yelled out the window that my skirt was wound around my fanny pack and I was FLASHING the world! I almost died from humiliation! Trust me, it was NOT a pretty sight. Just picture a pink, see-through.....never mind....it's better if you don't picture it. Dead Anyway, the video is hilarious! Hmmm, scroll down to the word Video in his blog.Smile Jilly
      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

Now that was a bath...

I have learned... That not running is harder than running. That I still have an addictive personality. That other runners are cool. That I need anger management so that I don't break into rants at dinner parties when a 'casual runner' says that they don't have the time to go out much and that you can't really run in the rain. That running is better than drugs That Scout and I are related but that we don't care. That Trent won't want to sail the Malaysian Islands with me and talk shop. Probably. That Zoomy's husband does not wear overtheshoulderbananahammocks, but that he has big thighs. That Mother of fives can have six-pack bods. That I won't have a six pack, because I only want to run and I can't be arsed to do anything else and if abs are built in the kitchen, my kitchen ain't got room for ab building, only homely roasts and family baking. That all dogs scare me when I am moving fast.
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
          *That you have to respect running and not treat it like a kid's thing, especially when you're not a kid. *Muscles appear that you'd thought you'd lost. *Ditto the weight loss quip from K. It just doesn't happen that easily! *It has the same effect as hosing down after you're really dirty!...go out for a run and all of life's dirt just washes off. Very cheap therapy. *Running gear isn't cheap. Who said you just have to strap on some shoes and go!? What about the mace, phone, ipod, Garmin, technical clothing and those special little socks you like. Ok, not necessary but they're all still cool. *Runners are some of the nicest people you'd ever wanna meet. *That you can actually sweat salt pellets. Not just slimy sweat, but little pebbles of salt. Still weirded out by this. *No matter what level you're at or what you're currently doing, it's a win-win situation; a no-loser club!
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Have you seen this?
            OMG, I had read that blog before, but never saw the video! But am I the only one who HATES when guys have far nicer legs than we do? That guy had some seriously shapely legs...that skirt was very flattering on him! Jill, how did your skirt end up UP in the back? Oh, you poor thing! That's my worst nightmare! I was just out running in the wind (first time in a skirt this year) and was really paranoid that my skirt would flip up in the back from a big gust. k

~ Sarah Kay

And, while on my run today, my husband drove by, THANKFULLY, and yelled out the window that my skirt was wound around my fanny pack and I was FLASHING the world! I almost died from humiliation! Trust me, it was NOT a pretty sight. Just picture a pink, see-through.....never mind....it's better if you don't picture it. Dead
              LMBO!! That would be me!! Now we're gonna have to watch it when wearing those skirts! Big grin
              JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

OMG, I had read that blog before, but never saw the video! But am I the only one who HATES when guys have far nicer legs than we do? That guy had some seriously shapely legs...that skirt was very flattering on him! Jill, how did your skirt end up UP in the back? Oh, you poor thing! That's my worst nightmare! I was just out running in the wind (first time in a skirt this year) and was really paranoid that my skirt would flip up in the back from a big gust. k
                Well, I guess the fanny pack just started sneaking the skirt up a little bit at a time. I am thinking that it's the wrong size because my other ones don't do such a thing.....let me tell you it was awful! Sad jlly

Now that was a bath...

Jilly, you've just put me off the thought of a running skirt completely. Claire xxx
                  JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

Jilly, you've just put me off the thought of a running skirt completely. Claire xxx
                    I am thinking that I am going to send that particular skirt back. I'll find a picture and post it, now that I know how to do that.... I believe that the slits up the sides helped the back creep up. Less slit, less likely to creep is my theory. Smile
                    JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

So I guess what I've learned is that slits creep. This one creeps: and this one doesn't....or hasn't yet. And, even with all that drama I still like running in skirts over shorts. Smile modified to add: I didn't get any creep action when I was running WITHOUT the fanny pack, so that may be partly to blame as well.
                        OMG, I had read that blog before, but never saw the video! But am I the only one who HATES when guys have far nicer legs than we do? That guy had some seriously shapely legs...that skirt was very flattering on him!
                        LOL! Ok, that's really funny but I just have to clarify: My legs are shapely in a MANLY sorta way right? Please don't tell me I've got nice, shapely female legs!!! Smile (found this via my stats page. thanks for the laugh!)

Now that was a bath...

Dude - we have fame in our midst! May I be the first to officially stroke welcome you. Now that you are here. Stick around. You can chat to Mr Zoom. At least one of his legs are nice. I haven't seen the other one. Claire xxx
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, hi, Mark! Welcome to RA! Yes, I am also married to a guy with nice legs (big, but very shapely...I have cankles). I have a feeling my hubby (diddidit...he's one of the resident cyclists around here) would look good in a running skirt, but he thinks they are silly, so at least I have no worries that he will "borrow" mine. Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

LOL! Ok, that's really funny but I just have to clarify: My legs are shapely in a MANLY sorta way right? Please don't tell me I've got nice, shapely female legs!!! Smile (found this via my stats page. thanks for the laugh!)
                              Wow! That video was hilarious! You know, it did cross my mind that you may be lurking around RA! I guess you were! Thanks for your fine efforts. It looked like you had a lot of fun that day. I am glad that you are here! Jilly
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So I guess what I've learned is that slits creep. This one creeps:
                                Hmmm...now I'm a little afraid to run wearing a camelbak with mine. Especially with that translucent liner short... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay