When doubts creep in (Read 1589 times)

Feeling the growl again

They call easy running days "empty miles."

That pretty much tells me to stop reading their stuff there. Wink

You've gotten good advice.  Carry on and good luck.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

BeeRunB

This extends to a lot of the exercise/gym industry - the whole idea seems to be that any kind of exercise is something that has to be endured for the sake of your health and/or looking good, but can't possibly be something that's enjoyable for its own sake.

I use to feel that way about exercise, until I ran my first road race. It blew my mind into some other universe, where I exercise, but I never call it that, I never do it to look good (that's a losing battle anyway--LOL), all I do is train and race. And I most definitely don't do this so my feet will look good. And it's fun!. I once wrote a blog about such things based on a real conversation (I put a link to it in my signature).

On easy days: I think their important. They help to develop slow twitch fibers, endurance and fat-burning---a total boon for the aerobic system. I never call them junk miles. Though they must always be considered as part of my training load. If you do these runs around your MAF, the pace will  tell you a lot as well. These runs should progress in pace at the same HR.

--JimmyCool

@jimmyb: thanks for the link, that was a great post... (that left me longing for a piece of chocolate cake...But I do have an excellent mug of coffee here...)

Running in Belgium
        Ann

BeeRunB

@jimmyb: thanks for the link, that was a great post... (that left me longing for a piece of chocolate cake...But I do have an excellent mug of coffee here...)

You're welcome. CoolMe, too. 

Well, started coming off the FIRST method a bit, putting more easy runs into my weeks -- bought Healthy Intelligent Training; still cross-training at least on Thursdays -- and took a Chi running workshop for seven hours in Orlando on Saturday. So after being on my feet all day there, and with it 48 degrees and 20-mph winds on Sunday, ran a "return to running" PR of 22:00 in Plantation, FL. Chi workshop helped a lot; this thread helped a lot to get me thinking about adding more easy miles, which I have to disagree with the FIRST authors about -- they're not empty miles.

As I improve my mechanics -- arms and hip rotation seem to be key for me -- I feel like there's a lot more there, not sure how much, but certainly quite a bit.

So thanks for the boost.

On easy days: I think their important. They help to develop slow twitch fibers, endurance and fat-burning---a total boon for the aerobic system. I never call them junk miles. --JimmyCool

+1

no such thing as junk miles.   every run or w/o has some purpose or benefit.

I'm 56 & after training for & DNS for 1st marathon in nearly 30 yrs in 2011 & developing PF along the way have decided to go with a more "balanced" plan this year.  lowered mileage but with more varied wo's.   Originally planned 2 harder intensity days during week with easy paced LR on Sunday.  has developed more into a 10 day cycle.  also been going on a 4 wk cycle on LR with gradual buildup (5-10 mns) of duration for 3 weeks & backing down on 4th week.   doing this since 1st of year & have built up wkly time/mileage while also gradually progressing on the 2 harder intensity days.   At this point these 2 days are still just "moderately hard".   PF has stayed in check up to this point & with no races set for near future feel as if all is going as planned.   In next 6-8 wks will be looking for a race to judge how plan is working.

Have been reading posts here on RA about FIRST & just not for me.  Also read Brad Hudson's book awhile back & agree mostly with his ideas except his thoughts for master runners.  His thought for experienced master runners is similar to FIRST.  3 days/wk with all 3 of them  mod to hard efforts.  cross training other days with no easy recovery run days.  again not for me.  I enjoy running & my easy days, time to relax, work off stress & nobody is telling me where to go or how to do it!  I know if I was doing a pgm like FIRST week in-week out would not enjoy it & would probably be more stressed physically/mentally & quit.  I enjoy the harder days too but No one will ever take away my easy days from me!!  NO ONE!

back to OP question:  yes there are days where you want to tank your w/o. mostly mental, if pushed through sometimes they turn out to be your best effort days.  but sometimes I've learned it's ok to adust by how you feel & not force a w/o just because you are scheduled for  a hard day.   Just pick up that w/o on another day.  Don't be a slave to a training plan,  there are constant adjustments.

Skyedog, I'm getting something out of my cross-training days, and need the gym at least once a week for some resistance work, but when all is said and done, you hit on it: I enjoy running, and easy days, I enjoy a lot, just going out for 40 or 50 minutes and cruising.

Why be doing this at our age (same as yours) if it's no fun?

yep my thoughts too, although for me not sure if I would call it "cruising".  yesterday went out on LR & although it was at easy pace did not feel real easy.  my PF has been bothersome this week & felt it yesterday.