Brooks shoe advice? (Read 1107 times)

obiebyke

Confused A few weeks ago, I finally bit the bullet and went to a running store to get fitted for some decent running shoes. I overpronate, and they recommended a stability shoe. I ended up buying the pricey Brooks Ariel. A couple of 1.5-2 mile runs later, I had managed to develop a LOT of calf pain. It's not shin splints--it's in the rear of my leg, mostly from my achilles to the ball of my calf, but also within the ball. It's tender when I massage it. I tried switching out the sockliner, but I'm not sure if that's working. Help! I spent SO much money, and I haven't run in two weeks now for fear of aggravating my legs! I got one recommendation that I went from crappy shoes to super-stability ones, and I should've eased in with something like the Brooks Adrenaline. Anyone have advice?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Along for the Ride

Trial and error seems to be the method so many times for running shoes ... Have you had any calf pain with your crappy shoes? What kind of shoes were they? If your legs are hurting now and weren't hurting before ... I would say it is the shoe. Go back to the store and have them re-assess. If they are reputable, they should take the shoe back and exchange it for what you need. I personally overpronate as well and love the Brooks Adrenaline. Have worn Adidas stability shoes as well with good results. Asics and Mizuno were too low in the heel for me.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

obiebyke

No, no calf pain with my crappy shoes. They were Nike AirMaxes, bought four years ago (!) at a Foot Locker or some such. I definitely didn't have calf pain, which makes me think it actually might be the heaviness of the Ariels. The Adrenalines are almost 3 ozs. lighter...

Along for the Ride

I wouldn't think it is the weight of the shoe. In stability shoes the sole is much more rigid, not allowing your foot to roll inward too early in the stride. This rigid sole changes your stride or the muscles you use. How much did you run in your crappy shoes before? Go back to the store.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Sandi Sue

I have been using the Adrenalines for years and recently went to the podiatrist because of some foot issues. He recommended ariels because I was overpronating so much my feet were getting bunions. I tried running in them and hated them. So here's what I came up with for a solution. I went back to my adrenalines but bought a pair of superfeet insoles for insole support. So my suggestion is take back the frankenstein ariels (that's what they remind me of with all that stability stuff on the bottom) and try the adrenalines with a pair of supportive insoles for the overpronation issue.

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

I've gone round and round with stability shoes. As far as Brooks goes, I have had two pairs of Brooks Beast over time, and had no problems with them. However, I will say that I've found that stability shoes take some getting used to - but they should not hurt. I also would not recommend running in four year old shoes. I agree with Runnergabe - take the Ariels back to the store and have them reassess. FWIW, I am currently back to my first shoe love (New Balance), running in the 1222, and loving them.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

obiebyke

Thanks, everyone! I went back to the store, and the guy was NOT open to hearing that the shoes hurt! He said that shouldn't happen, and looked at me like I should just take the shoes and leave. I had to ASK to try different shoes! After trying some on and deciding that the Asics Foundation might be a good bet, I had to ASK for him to let me return the Ariels! Lesson learned: don't go back to this store! I'll write a Yelp review. Unfortunately, they didn't have the Foundation in my size, so I'm foregoing my usual local/independent rule this time. I ordered a pair from Zappos. I'll let y'all know how they go. Crossing my fingers.

Hmmm...I wonder if my shoes had something to do with my calf pain, too. I had been running for a few weeks with Brooks Adrenaline before my calf started hurting (same area as you). I guess I'll have to run in my Adidas and see if the same thing happens.

Philly Curse

I just bought a new pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 7. I am excited to start running in them. They are my first ever pair of stability shoes, so i guess ina few weeks we will se if I am adding to this thread again. Lets hope everything goes well
                      Thanks, everyone! I went back to the store, and the guy was NOT open to hearing that the shoes hurt! He said that shouldn't happen, and looked at me like I should just take the shoes and leave. I had to ASK to try different shoes! After trying some on and deciding that the Asics Foundation might be a good bet, I had to ASK for him to let me return the Ariels! Lesson learned: don't go back to this store! I'll write a Yelp review. Unfortunately, they didn't have the Foundation in my size, so I'm foregoing my usual local/independent rule this time. I ordered a pair from Zappos. I'll let y'all know how they go. Crossing my fingers.
                      I believe Zappos requires product to be returned in same as received condition.

Vim

obiebyke

The running store ended up ordering size 8s in the Asics Foundation from their other store, and they came in yesterday. Too big! But my 7.5's from Zappos showed up today. They feel good. And they're $40 cheaper than the Ariels, which is a plus. One of the tags already came off, so I'm hoping these will pan out. If not, I guess I'll sell 'em on eBay and take a little hit for the try. I plan to do a short run today. Stay tuned for how it goes!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I tell ya', trying to find the perfect running shoe can really be a saga. And in my case my stability needs have been consistently decreasing, so it seems that I get maybe 6 months out of a model before they become too stable and I have to try the next model down...I started in high stability shoes and fully expect to be in neutrals by Spring (and my wear patterns definitely show the change, too). Good luck finding what works...It can be expensive and frustrating, indeed. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

obiebyke

Took my first little run in the new Asics. So far so good! Big grin

Slow-smooth-fast

I've gone round and round with stability shoes. As far as Brooks goes, I have had two pairs of Brooks Beast over time, and had no problems with them. However, I will say that I've found that stability shoes take some getting used to - but they should not hurt. I also would not recommend running in four year old shoes. I agree with Runnergabe - take the Ariels back to the store and have them reassess. FWIW, I am currently back to my first shoe love (New Balance), running in the 1222, and loving them.
                              I am with you, I have had my new balance for too many miles now, they have had too many miles in them, primarily because in between I bought some mizuno wave, and they just give me no support at all. For Christmas, I will be getting some new trainers, so I figured a brand new pair of new balance would be best, though I am perhaps thinking of a different edition so to speak. I have also heard good things about nike air pegasus and vomero. Anyone any thoughts?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

obiebyke

I know--four-year-old shoes=bad. Eddy-- I would go with the New Balance, unless your feet are super narrow. I have narrow feet, but I always feel like the toe pad in Nikes is really tight. NBs seem to have better cushioning, and I think they're more reasonably priced. Also, New Balance has better corporate practices than Nike, for sure, so I'd rather give my money to them.