Jelly Belly Sport Beans (Read 1099 times)

Chicago 26.2 07

Do you guys like them? I used them yesterday at the Chicago and loved them. I don't know if it was actual efficacy or placebo but I think they helped
      I had never heard of them, then I saw somebody mention them in a post here. Did somebody say sport jelly beans? This is too good to be true! I was all over it, checking out their website at work and stopping at Target on the way home to buy some. I run/walk so they are perfect for gradual refueling, eating a couple of beans during each walk break during my long runs. I also don't know if the effect is real or just psychological but for me the only thing that matters is I do feel better when I use them.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My impressions: The taste too salty They make me thirsty They make a ton of noise when running with them They are hard to chew Oh, and in general it is best not to try a new nutritional during your race.
          Zoomers & I have used them. My experience, they are ok, but a bit salty. We have both had just as much luck with regular JB's, which are cheaper than the sport version & taste better.
          So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
            I like them, but find them hard to chew while trying to breathe at the same time, Roll eyes The nutritional values are very similar to 1 packet of energy gel (i.e.; GU).
            Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Imminent Catastrophe

That "salty" taste is because they have additional electrolyte-sodium and potassium. That might just have saved you on Sunday, you really needed them in the heat. Of course you still need water. Personally, I find them hard to chew (same with Blok Shots) during a race but if they work for you, stick with them.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

The voice of mile 18

I love 'em. definitely need some water though when thye get stuck in your teeth but go down much easier than the snotlike consistency of gels. they can be a b!tch to open while running though.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

The voice of mile 18

I love 'em. definitely need some water though when thye get stuck in your teeth but go down much easier than the snotlike consistency of gels. they can be a b!tch to open while running though.
                  also I can find them at almost any target for 99cents where gel is hit or miss.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

mbk

I'm my non-scientific opinion, Sport Beans give me energy more quickly. Clif Shot Bloks give me energy over a long period of time (I've tried them both numerous times and the result always seems the same). So I use them both depending on the distance and point in the race or training. Oh, and I agree with Trent, do nothing new during your race. I have a friend who used Clif Shot Bloks for the first time before a race. Let's just say she spent a LOT of time in the port-a-potties.
                      I really like them, but they are a pain to eat during a race No
                      2009: BQ?

Imminent Catastrophe

... they can be a b!tch to open while running though. ...
                        I've mentioned this before but it works great. Before the race, cut the top of the pack off with scissors, fold it over and tape it down tight so it doesn't rattle. It's really easy to open on the run. This works with Shot Bloks too. Personally I've decided I can't stand to chew anything like beans or bloks when I run (and don't like the sweet stuff) but if you can, they work great.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That "salty" taste is because they have additional electrolyte-sodium and potassium. That might just have saved you on Sunday, you really needed them in the heat. Of course you still need water.
                          Sure. But most energy gels have the same amount of salt as the beans. But with those you swallow the salt quickly rather than letting it sit in your mouth and dry it out. You could swallow the beans, but I'd imagine they do not absorb well unchewed.

Imminent Catastrophe

If you want salty, try the Margarita flavor Shot Bloks. 210 mg sodium in 3 bloks.

Love 'em....Especially the blueberry flavor.... Big grin Big grin Big grin
                              "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
                              seeEricaRun

Awesome

I love them for long runs because I can eat them intermittently instead of slamming them all down at once like I would a gel. I don't chew them very much, I just put it in my mouth and suck on it for a little while, then eventually get around to chewing when it's super gooey. You have enzymes for digesting carbohydrates in your mouth (at least I do, I can't account for anyone else's deficiencies), so you are digesting as you swallow your own spit. They are pretty salty - I'm not convinced that plain old jelly beans wouldn't work just as well and taste better. The blueberry ones are definitely the best. I actually like the shot blocks the best. I think they taste better than any of the other options (except the margarita or pina colada flavors), by virtue of being a hair less sweet.