Paul Revere & the Raiders (Read 768 times)

recently read a book from library about the history of Rock & Roll in the Pacific Northwest & ever since have been on a "kick" in researching & watching old videos of them.  Anybody else know of them or remember them from their childhood ?  Even better any one see them live during the early 60's Portland to Tacoma to Seattle dance club circuit?  any thoughts on whether they s/b in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? 

Anybody else "Just Like Me"  who gets "Hungry' for some good fun old time Rock & Roll?

so going to now be "Stepping Out" & wait for some responses

keeponrunning

Great band!  I'm not from the 60's and 70's but at least half my music is from that era.  While not necessarily a great era for all in it, it certainly produced some great bands Smile

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

keeponrunning

Oh, and I would say they do belong in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame.  

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Roses Revenge

I saw them in the early 60s when they were just a local band.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

I saw them in the early 60s when they were just a local band.

wow I'm jealous!   tell me about it.  Was that in Boise or Seattle area?  were they in their Revolutionary costumes & doing the dance steps?  Mark Lindsay with his trademark ponytail? 

your thoughts on RRHOF please

Half Fanatic #846

Whaat???  They're not in the Hall?  I had to check!

I remember they were really popular in the '60s, but I never saw them in person (I lived in Fla.). I remember seeing the Beatles first TV appearance in the US on the Ed Sullivan Show in black and white.  Went to a Beach Boys concert years later, and an Oakridge Boys concert years later even.  But didn't see Paul Revere & the Raiders - haven't even heard anything by them on any oldies stations in a long time, either.

I think to get into the Hall, a nominee needs 50% of the vote - that might be hard to do...  

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

keeponrunning

Whaat???  They're not in the Hall?  I had to check!

I remember they were really popular in the '60s, but I never saw them in person (I lived in Fla.). I remember seeing the Beatles first TV appearance in the US on the Ed Sullivan Show in black and white.  Went to a Beach Boys concert years later, and an Oakridge Boys concert years later even.  But didn't see Paul Revere & the Raiders - haven't even heard anything by them on any oldies stations in a long time, either.

I think to get into the Hall, a nominee needs 50% of the vote - that might be hard to do...  

Look at it this way, they only inducted Jeff Beck as himself (not in Yardbirds or another band) in 2009.  He is, in my opinion, the best guitarist ever, surpassed only maybe by Jimi Hendrix.  

ymmv

I remember them as the house band on the TV show 'Where the Action Is'. I was around 13 then.

I think I had their 8 track tape.....they were good.

Champions are made when no one is watching

I saw them several times in '88 and '89 when I worked county fairs in CA and OR.  They were pretty long in the tooth back then, so I'm amazed that they are still out playing.  They put on a good show.

I saw them in '86...they opened for the Monkees (along with Herman's Hermits and Gary Puckett).  I don't think they played long but they did play Kicks - which I liked.

Dog-Love

Believe it or not, they just played in Juneau AK 2 or 3 years ago at a State Troopers benefit.  We always buy tickets to support the Troopers but this time we actually went and saw them and NO I do not think they belong in the hall of fame.  I used to LOVE them in the 60's. Loved the outfitss and the ponytail but they should not use that same outfit in 2008

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                          xor

I saw them in '86...they opened for the Monkees (along with Herman's Hermits and Gary Puckett).  I don't think they played long but they did play Kicks - which I liked.

So here's something only Knifey would know or care about.

I also saw the Monkees in 1986... with Herman.  I don't think we got Paul Revere in Dallas.

ANYHOO, the Monkees came out with a greatest hits album in 1986.  It contained what you'd expect, and a couple of new songs.  One of which was a cover of Kicks.  Weird.  I have to figure that "hey we're gonna cover your song and you come on tour with us" was some kind of business deal.

So here's something only Knifey would know or care about.

I also saw the Monkees in 1986... with Herman.  I don't think we got Paul Revere in Dallas.

ANYHOO, the Monkees came out with a greatest hits album in 1986.  It contained what you'd expect, and a couple of new songs.  One of which was a cover of Kicks.  Weird.  I have to figure that "hey we're gonna cover your song and you come on tour with us" was some kind of business deal.

I have that greatest hits cassette tape.  My ma actually had to tell me Kicks was a Paul Revere song...I just thought it was another new Monkees song (I knew by the time we went to the concert though).  I thought I was so bad ass at that concert because I sneaked my (110) camera in - a big no no back in those days.

Crabby,  I think they were still touring as of last year!  w/o Mark Lindsay however obviously & w/o him just not the same.  Why not hall of fame?  take away those costumes & would your opinion change?

lots of bands of course do covers.   many bands have covered Kicks, just heard a cover by Van Halen.   Not a Van Halen fan to begin with but their version terrible & I'm being kind.  but probably not as bad as Madonna's cover of American Pie.  worst cover ever!

I think that the PRR version of "Louie Louie"  more lively, raunchy than the Kingsmen's version although like both. All-time party song & played at pretty much all major league baseball games.  I think back in the early 60's PNW circuit all the bands HAD to play Louie Louie or get booed.  One of my favorite Monkees song was "I'm not your Stepping Stone" (Mickey Dolenz),  the Raiders version blows it out of the water.

and yes, hard to admit I watched "Action", the Monkees, The Beatles 1965 Sat am cartoon with the bouncing ball over the lyrics (even have 2 shirts of the Cartoon, ha ha) & all those other band shows. oh & Dark Shadows too.

Didn't the Hollies just get into the Hall this last yr??  so is there still a chance?  Listen to some of PRR's older stuff, good riffs & of course Mark Lindsay great frontman & singer.  So take away those costumes & the goofy acts on "Where the Action is" & based on their music any other thoughts on Hall of Fame?  Just read that the only 2 bands that sold more records 1966-1969 than Paul Revere & the Raiders were The Beatles & the Rolling Stones.  anybody ever hear of them?