camel backs (Read 1858 times)

I must agree with Zoomy (of course). I too had a Camelback, but the tube was impossible to keep clean and it sprouted some gnarly mold. I could ignore it for only so long. I have since converted to the fuel belt, which thus far I am very pleased with. It doesn't jiggle around nearly as much as my Camelback did and it's easier to use the squirt bottles. Of course, to each their own. But no one likes mold, ick.
      Is there a secret to sucking water through a plastic tube, while your body is gasping for more oxygen. I can't seem to do it Tight lipped. Do I need to change the type of bite valve I'm using, or something?
      They can be hard to get water through. I found it easier to slow down a little or even walk for a few seconds to get a drink, then get back to running or running faster. They do get a little easier to use with practice, but I think, at least the waist mounted ones, will always be a little tough to get water through due to gravity. Maybe the backpack ones are easier. Like Kirsten, I went with a belt mounted bottle, but a different maker (UD) which I use on longer runs. For anything under 10 miles - I just got with the handheld UD bottle.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you use it at a race?
        My reason and I'm guessing Run To Win's reasoning is the same is not wanting the extra weight when you can get plenty to drink at the aid stations.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you use it at a race?
          Bonkin' Mike is mostly right. My main reason is that most of my road marathons have been fairly large ones, and even the small ones had plenty of support, and I just haven't had a need for it. When there is water every mile or every 2 miles or even every 3 miles, that's plenty. I'm on the road for less than 3 hours so I don't need to carry extra. If I do a marathon where there are only say 2 water stops, then I would probably carry water. So far, the only long race that I felt a need to carry water was a 50k race in the middle of a forest.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)