Biking Hills=Big thighs?? (Read 3353 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Did somebody say beer...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mmmm. Beer.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mmmm. Beer.

That's what I have been saying all night.  And I think we still have 8 left. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

Did somebody say beer...?

2010 Oberon brew coming to a store near me tomorrow!  Woot!

Rick
          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

The Running Green Girl

For those of you who bike a lot, does biking a path with lots of hills make your thighs bigger? What about running hills? I'm just getting into biking more often and I want my thighs slimmer, not like tree trunks.  I've heard conflicting opinions from my friends that run and bike. I like in an area with hills, hills, and more hills and I run and bike a fair amount. Thanks for the input!

How did this work out for you?  Did you bulk up?  I actually have the same concern because I have really muscular thighs and would prefer not to bulk up anymore.

You have the power within you to do whatever it is you want to do. Rachelle Disbennett-Lee, PhD

www.therunninggreengirl.com
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How did this work out for you?  Did you bulk up?  I actually have the same concern because I have really muscular thighs and would prefer not to bulk up anymore.

I'm not the OP, but since I have started seriously biking I have lost 4-5% body fat (depends upon my hydration, I think.  But in 4 years of pretty much running, exclusively, I could not drop a single percentage point of bodyfat or manage my appetite--quite the opposite.  Cycling has been some sort of magic button for me in terms of an ideal mix of cardio and resistance training).  My thighs are somewhat smaller, but my waist is noticeably smaller (I'm very much an hourglass/mesomorph body type to begin with).  My body weight has not dropped, but my bra band measurement and cup size have shrunken proportionately.  I am also seeing a marked reduction in cellulite.

I ride some pretty sizeable hills on a regular basis.  There is no way to avoid them if I go North.

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Magic button you say?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Magic button you say?

Not THAT magic button...but biking has been good for that, too, now that you mention it. 

~ Sarah Kay

xor

I do not know what you mean.  (ok, in all seriousness, I'm really NOT sure what you mean. And in this case, I'm all for not learning)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I do not know what you mean.  (ok, in all seriousness, I'm really NOT sure what you mean. And in this case, I'm all for not learning)

Heh...OK, hubby does not run, but he bikes.  A lot.  Now that I am spending a good deal of time on the bike we can get out on our bikes together while the kiddo is at daycamp, school, or grandma's.  So we get our workouts in and couple time simultaneously...which tends to extend to other times of the day, too. Wink Win-win.

~ Sarah Kay

xor

>> I'm all for not learning

So much for that. Ah well, my fault for snickering at the phrase "magic button".

(tangent)

The dude who played harmonica for J Geils had the stage name "Magic Dick".  The subtlety was lost on me.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The dude who played harmonica for J Geils had the stage name "Magic Dick".  The subtlety was lost on me.

Heh, that reminds me of Dick Trickle...which sounds more like a problem than an asset.

~ Sarah Kay

Slice

I actually don't bike too much anymore. Typically once per week. My thighs are a bit bigger from both running and biking hills though. I don't have tree trunk legs or anything but my tight jeans are tighter on the thighs than they used to be. I don't really mind. It serves as a reminder of all the miles and sweat that went into making them bigger!

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

The Running Green Girl

I actually don't bike too much anymore. Typically once per week. My thighs are a bit bigger from both running and biking hills though. I don't have tree trunk legs or anything but my tight jeans are tighter on the thighs than they used to be. I don't really mind. It serves as a reminder of all the miles and sweat that went into making them bigger!

Ah, okay.  I bulk up really easily and even right now, since I've increased my running mileage, my pants are extremely tight.  I'm nervous that biking will cause my thighs to get even bigger.  I know it sounds superficial but I'm only 4' 10.5" and I'm already really muscular!

You have the power within you to do whatever it is you want to do. Rachelle Disbennett-Lee, PhD

www.therunninggreengirl.com
                              LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If your shape is brought about by your athletic endeavor, then it's a good shape. Smile