New to Running (instroduction) (Read 111 times)

Janster

Greetings!!

A little intro... I'm a 47 year old woman who went from a physically demanding job (20 years of it) to an office job (1 year ago) thus my cholesterol levels went bezerk, so I knew I had to do something.  I'm 5'6" and 145lbs.

I started C25K app back in December. Completed the app and ran my first official 5K last weekend! (37 minutes)!

I'm trying to maintain a regular exercise program of running 3 miles every 3rd day.....   I'd do it more often, but my knee/s have been protesting the last few weeks. No pain at all ....just a slightly stiff & slightly swollen. Runners knee?  Is this something that will eventually go away as the body builds up the knee cartilage?   Or does it only get worse?   I figured.....there's no  pain associated with it so it can't be that bad. ??

I didn't get into this expecting to lose weight.  But,  I was hoping I would.   I've been the same weight for 20 years (give or take 5 lbs).......regardless of what exercise programs I get into. I used to belong to a gym for many years .....several years ago.  When I started running regularly in December, I actually gained weight.  I can understand that.....muscle.  But....after a certain amount of time...I thought my jeans would get loose.  But Nooooooooooooo.....   I haven't really changed any of my eating habits.....if anything, a little healthier.  I don't snack... breakfasts are tiny (or non at all), no sweets, diet soda, water....etc.    After 3 months....I would've thought I'd see some kind of loss in mass or weight.     Ladies?    What have you experienced?  Is it normal for women?   I've noticed I get HUNGRY a lot lately now.  I normally don't do anything but drink water or diet soda to curb the hungers.

My husband has been doing the C25K also (both finished 5K on same day) and he's lost 10 lbs!!

The good thing is...my cholesterol was first checked in Sept when it was HIGH.  I was rechecked in December (after I started running) and it was back down to normal levels.   I'm wondering if its dropped any more since December. I hope so!!

Thanks for reading!

Running for me is more of a  'health' thing.  I don't get the Runners Euphoria like some folks claim they get (my husband gets it). So - keeping motivated will be a challenge. I don't plan on doing anything further - perhaps work on going faster. I don't think this old body would enjoy doing more. My knees are already protesting. LOL

GinnyinPA

Welcome Janster.

I'm 58 and female and started running about 3 1/2 years ago.  Running has made me much more fit, but it hasn't helped me lose weight.  That's mostly because I didn't change my eating habits and because I run enough (40 mpw) that I get pretty hungry and I allow myself more 'treats' than I would if I weren't exercising.

If you're running 3 miles twice a week, you're only burning about 600 extra calories.  That's not a lot.  Even if you keep your intake exactly the same, it would take you five or six weeks to lose a pound.  Most of us tend to eat more on the days we run which cancels the energy burn. If you really want to lose weight, you'll need to cut back on what you're eating.

I have had knee issues in the past, but not with running. I actually found that my knees were better with running than they were before as the muscles in my legs got stronger.  However, there are a lot of different things that can go wrong with knees.  Swelling may be arthritis.  It could be injury.  If you can, you should go to a doctor and get checked out to make sure you're not doing more harm.

Re: motivation - as running gets easier, you may find it easier to stay motivated.  Some people love racing, and that keeps them training.  Some like to challenge themselves to longer distances.  Or they focus on winning Age Group awards in local races.  Try to mix up where you run - find new routes, try running on trails or on the beach, our join a running group or join a mileage competition.  Keep most of your runs slow and easy.

Janster

Thanks Ginny!

You're probably right about the weight loss.  My goal hasn't been to lose weight.  Since I've been the same weight for so long, it'll probably take an a much larger effort to get the lbs to drop off.   I'm not ready to try and curb my eating habits just yet.  I have noticed....in the last couple weeks I get hungry sooooo much more & quicker.  But - I don't give in.  I drink water or diet soda (and keep myself busy to get my mind off it). But yea...that hundry feeling is definitely something different & new.

I'm trying not to eat more on running days, but I know if I don't, my gas tank might run out.  I'll eat a banana & water 30 minutes before I run.

My other problem...  is I've never been much of a 'water drinker'.  And only because I never get thirsty and I'm usually really busy at work to get some.  It's hard to drink water when you're not thirsty.  I need to drink more...especially after running.   I've noticed cramps and/or charlie horses in my feet.  I'm pretty sure...if I drank more, they'd go away!!

Anyway..Thanks for listening!

an amazing likeness

Drink water to your thirst. The cramps are from your muscles working, not water.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.