Shoes wearing out way to soon. (Read 233 times)

Mysecondnewname

I have noticed a lot more wear in my Brooks every since they went with their "Caterpillar" heel crash pad.   The little protrusions of outsole don't last nearly as long as the former designs.  I'm also convinced that the blown rubber isn't nearly as abrasion resistant as the stuff they used to use years ago (I seem to recall a shoe company once advertised they used the same material as automobile tires as outsoles).

I use Shoe Goo after every run just to prolong things, but the most I can get out of them is about 300 miles (about a month and a half).

MrH

I run mostly on softer surfaces and have put 1000+ on pairs of Nike Frees. The disintegration of the upper part of the shoe were what caused me to retire the shoes, not the state of the soles. However, when I wore shoes with big heels I did see more wear on there.

FWIW I'm a gorilla and weigh ~200lb.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

count me in as one who is sick of it too.  And I'm only a svelte 140.  I can understand trail running shoes using softer compounds to increase grip on wet rocks and whatnot.  But there is really no reason for soft outsole compounds on road shoes where grip is never really an issue apart from ice/snow.  My solution has been to simply buy clearance shoes online and accept 3-400 miles as ok for the lower price.

Except for Hokas (and even use Shoe Goo with them) I can't get 150 miles on a pair of shoes.  I am a midfoot/forefoot striker and I do something where I scrape the left outside forefoot.  The rubber has gotten so soft that it requires constant repair with Shoe Goo.  Hokas do better.   I think there has been so much emphasis on weight (God forbid we have an extra ounce of weight in the shoes when we'll go out and down 2000 calories of beer.....) that the sacrifice has been in the sole durability.  I used to get shoes with carbon rubber outsoles and they lasted about 300 miles.  I can't get near that anymore.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Once I stopped buying neutral fitting shoes my shoe mileage climbed to 500-600 miles. Over-pronator

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

From the Internet.

My solution has been to simply buy clearance shoes online and accept 3-400 miles as ok for the lower price.

That's been my solution too. 5'5 and 130lbs so my weight shouldn't be a huge factor in how quickly my shoes wear out. I have a pair of Mizuno Elixirs that I absolutely loved, but by the time they hit 200 miles I had to retire them to short treadmill runs only, my legs scream at me later in the day if I run outside in them.

Run2Daylight - Adidas is actually still doing that, I have a pair of Tempo 6s that have the Continental logo on the sole. I've only got about 30 miles on them so far, so I have no clue if they'll last longer because of it.

I have resigned myself to getting about 300 miles or less out of my shoes. I'm a 175-180 lbs  supinator. So the outside edges of my shoes wear out pretty quickly especially at mid foot. By the time 300 miles comes around in a pair of shoes, my feet and knees start telling me to retire them.

CT JEFF

I started at 250#. Down to 212. Congrats OP on your significant loss. I dislike too much cushioning on regular runs. I have put the pillow shoes on after a blister or a sore day. Midfoot and forefoot have worked well for me. My shoes seem to take less wear. I do little trail or snow running.

My thoughts are that if you are retiring your shoes just because the cushion is less soft,  the only solution is to question that choice.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I weighed in around the 230s (even 240+) over the summer and at various times over past few years of (on and off again) running. I had been getting 250-300 out of various pairs of Brooks Gylcerins before the knee pain and shin splints begin.

(I found that the Glycerins wear much better than did the Mizunos I bought as my first return-to-running shoe a few years ago - not the shoe to wear for a big guy, my knees and shins learned) (I also tried running on a pair of Asics once, but I ditched them after 80 miles because my legs felt odd in them. I went back to the Glycerins and have never looked back).

I'm now around 210-215 pounds, and I have two pairs of Glycerins at/over 300, and they both feel good, though I'm bringing in a third pair of Glycerins and cycling through them right now. Losing weight has helped, and I also think I've adjusted my stride/strike over the past few years to be more comfortable on my runs ...

Here's my equipment, FYI: https://www.runningahead.com/logs/be3a5922991f4ec9a8678d32a498f2cf/equipment?xhr=0

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.