Supplements and Vitamins (Read 222 times)

Gator eye

Do you or don't you?

I was looking over the Hammer web site, some of the claims on what these pills (supplements) will do for you sound a little far fetched. I like the recovery powder and energy powder, they are a little high priced but the stuff seems to work.

How about vitamins? I don't eat all that well so this search started off with a search for vitamins.

Do you or don't you?

I was looking over the Hammer web site, some of the claims on what these pills (supplements) will do for you sound a little far fetched. I like the recovery powder and energy powder, they are a little high priced but the stuff seems to work.

How about vitamins? I don't eat all that well so this search started off with a search for vitamins.

I do, but mainly fish oil and a multivitamin. I realized when I was taking more vitamins that I would use it as an excuse to not eat as healthy. Now, that I've cut back on vitamins, I'm more aware of the need to eat better,. and I do. I don't think any vitamins will make up for a poor diet.

kcam

I take a daily fish oil supplement but I'm thinking of 86'ing it (as I did the Glucosamin-Chondroitin I used to take).  I think you should fix the "I don't eat all that well ..." thing and you'd most likely be golden.

some call me Tim

I do, occasionally, but most have been dropped because I can't tell a difference. This includes the ones that purport to help you recover more quickly. I also take fish oil, and though I can't tell a difference with running it made a huge difference in my cholesterol level and thus makes my doc happy. And I like to eat beets before competition if that counts... again, jury's out on that but it doesn't matter because I LOVE them.

“Breathe properly. Stay curious. And eat your beets.”

-Tom Robbins

bap

It's all marketing bs.

Certified Running Coach
            Crocked since 2013

I take iron because if I don't, I become anemic.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

bap

Of course there may be a need for dietary supplementation but  the idea that taking a pill containing 100 x RDA of a vitamin or mineral will keep you healthier is bs.

Certified Running Coach
                Crocked since 2013

vitamin B-complex for my overworked and underpaid liver.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I work hard to eat a balanced diet, but it's also important to me to eat as locally as possible.  So I struggle to get enough fruits and vegetables towards the end of winter when my canned goods supply dwindles.  But I take a women's daily multivitamin, a calcium supplement, and vitamin D (I was tested a couple years ago and found to be low).  I also need to take cranberry pills daily to avoid peeing blood after my longer runs.  Sorry, that's kinda TMI Smile

It it might all be pointless, or it might not.  I can tell you for sure I feel better with the vitamin D.  I am less crabby.  I take 2000 iu and tried to drop down to 1000 iu and found I was really snappish.  Once I re-upped my dose I was a lot mellower.  And when I go off the cranberry pills I have issues.

Leah, mother of dogs

SMART Approach

Food is best but do we all eat 5-10 servings of fruit and veggies per day and eat clean all the time? We don't know what we are getting from our food though because of preparation, cooking, peaticides, preservatives etc.  I recommend getting tested. There are blood tests that measure omega 3 levels, antioxidant protection, Vit D, minerals etc. Go to Life Extension website (lef.com) fior excellent non biased information and access to these tests. It cost me under $30 to get my Vit D tested as a member. You also have to ask yourself if you want adequate OR optimal nutrient levels. You won't get Rickets if your Vit D level is 29 but if your level if 50 or above, your immune system, disease resistance and hormone function will be much stronger.

There are certain nutrients Americans are commonly deficient in and these I generally recommend for supplementation if needed:

Vitamin D3 - get tested. 90% + have suboptimal levels. The RDA is to low and we cannot get enough from our diet or One A Days to increase blood volume. Get your level above 50.

Omega 3s (DHA/EPA) we are low. We consume way too  many omega 6s and our ratio is way out of whack. Fish oil and krill oil are great sources. A ton of research backing its benefits for heart, brain health, longevity and inflammation.

Magnesium. We are often deficient. Many benefits. More important to take in supplement form vs Calcium. If you take Calcium, you better be taking Magnesium and K2 as you don't want this calcium going to your arteries or soft tissues.

Multi-nutrient food based formula. Food based is key for absorption. Most one a days go right through you. Women should have iron, men no.

Curcumin (highly absorbable form) - with all the research and health benefits, I don't think you can afford not to supplement with it. Some experts will say if you only take one supplement, this should be it.

Ubiquinol (highly absorbed Co Q10) - after 40 we start losing a lot if this valuable nutrient. It is a powerful antioxidant and crucial for our mitochondria. Some researchers will argue that maintaining and enhancing your mitochondria is a key to slowing aging process. If you take a statin you must take CoQ10.

I recommend an antioxidant level test. Most of test too low because we are bombarded with free radicals. Our body's natural defense system has a hard time keeping up. Exercising more than 3 hours a week unfortunately adds to this. A self test us people telling you that you look younger than your age. That may mean you are keeping up.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

lbh005

Spam is a good supplement to your diet.
                        PDoe

Fish Oil

Multivitamin

Glucosamine for the hip osteoarthritis (orthopedist couldn't say whether it would help or not so he says....Why not?)

Prostate health for the 50+ y.o.  Have seen positive results.