Workout Calorie Field + Facebook Open Graph (Read 768 times)

Hi Eric,

I tried searching but I didn't see anything recent come up.  I thought of two things which have probably already been mentioned but couldn't hurt to be brought up:

1. Workout calorie consumption fields - I saw in my search that there used to be something like this but I can't find it on my workout page.  Most GPS watches calculate them, or you could automatically calculate it for each person based on their weight/distance run (similar to the calorie calculator you already have in tools).  At the very least it might be nice to have a field where people can manually enter calories burned if it matters to them.
    2. Facebook Open Graph integration - now that FB is moving away from the wall layout and toward a "Timeline" structure, many app-makers are updating their apps to work with the new layout and technology.  You might have seen the way Spotify's done it which is probably a bit excessive.  Nike+ has embraced Open Graph in an interesting way by having a box appear for each month detailing the total distance, duration, and longest run for that month.  You could also have a separate box that stays near the top and acts as a running log of the runs you post.

Here's an image of how different apps have adapted (including Nike+) to give you an idea.  Neither of these are very important updates and could easily be pushed to the back-burner, but I thought it was worth bringing up in case you find one or both interesting.

Thanks for all the work you do. Smile

- Alex

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

you could automatically calculate it for each person based on their weight/distance run (similar to the calorie calculator you already have in tools). 

Hi Alex - this is already done, at least for runs. Try it by adding your weight to any of your existing runs and hitting save. You'll see calories in the statistics section of the workout summary. Cheers

2017 Goals
      1) Run more than 231 miles
      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Ah, hadn't seen that before! It would be great if the weight field was auto-filled with the one you put in your profile so you don't need to manually input it every time, but that still works great. Thanks for pointing it out.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Ah, hadn't seen that before! It would be great if the weight field was auto-filled with the one you put in your profile so you don't need to manually input it every time, but that still works great. Thanks for pointing it out.

Go to Options --> My Log Preferences.

You can then check "Fill in weight field with the most recent weight."

This way, you only have to enter it when your weight changes.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

Go to Options --> My Log Preferences.

You can then check "Fill in weight field with the most recent weight."

This way, you only have to enter it when your weight changes.

Perfect - that works great.  I guess the only part of the thread that matters anymore is the Facebook suggestion!

eric :)

I haven't been on Facebook in ages, probably because I'm no longer young so I don't get it ;-)  I haven't seen the new whole timeline thing but I liked the Nike screen shot.  Maybe I'll use that as an inspiration.  I probably won't be able to get to it for a few months because of all the projects I got lined up.  Facebook changes are always big projects because it is a light version of RA.  I'm trying to come up with a way to make the FB and RA logs to be the same, which would reduce my work load.

Awesome! It's not a big deal but I figure there's probably a direct correlation between aesthetic appearance and people willing to share and click the links. i know personally that I'd be much more willing to promote the site on my FB page regularly if the updates were a bit more visually pleasing. Anyway, as a new convert from Garmin Connect I'd like to let you know that my experience here so far has been much, much better. The features are better thought out and your dedication to the community is obvious in your quick response to all suggestions + problems, compared to the entire Garmin team that almost never notices any feature requests or tech help topics. Major props.

Awesome! It's not a big deal but I figure there's probably a direct correlation between aesthetic appearance and people willing to share and click the links. i know personally that I'd be much more willing to promote the site on my FB page regularly if the updates were a bit more visually pleasing. Anyway, as a new convert from Garmin Connect I'd like to let you know that my experience here so far has been much, much better. The features are better thought out and your dedication to the community is obvious in your quick response to all suggestions + problems, compared to the entire Garmin team that almost never notices any feature requests or tech help topics. Major props.

If you compare training log sites by feature, RA can't be beat.  That's because if you throw enough engineering hours into a problem, it will be solved eventually ;-)  On the other hand, no amount of engineering hours is sufficient for me to make RA sexy.  Its pages are adequately ajax-ified to provide a smooth user experience.  The latest trend is to have large input fields.  I can't just make everything big because it amplifies the workout entry pages' complexity.

It all comes down to how could I redesign the workout entry pages to be easy to use, pretty, and can collect the same amount of information.  If you or anyone else have suggestions on how to make the training log pretty without losing the easy of use, please let me know.  I can build you a highly functional website, but it takes a different kind of person to make it pretty.

I was referring to the actual FB updates, not the site itself. ;-). The features you've added more than make up for the site's visual appearance (which really is pretty good). I'd much rather support a developer who puts his time into new features instead of just focusing on making the site look sexy, as the GC folks seem to do. Cheers.

Doesn't have to do with Open Graph but I figured I'd piggyback on this thread since it's a FB question:  is there any way to select specific activities to post to FB or do you just have to set RA to automatically post all races/workouts?

Right now, you have only the following options:

- no workouts

- races only

- all workouts

I'll consider adding a publish button for Facebook so you can manually publish workouts.