Stupid accidents! (Read 794 times)

Giants Fan

So, tonight I was in a big hurry to warm up dinner (nice weather--wanted to get outside with the kids) and I dropped two stoneware plates on my left foot! They were not flat so the edge fell and hit the middle of my foot, the other one landed right on my big toe where the skin/nail meet. OMG it hurt so bad! I am wondering how long I'm going to be out and down for running....I didn't break anything( did get x-ray to be sure) but it is painful!!! I am so mad! I don't even have a good story to tell about the injury--just me being a dork in a hurry. Ugh! I can not live without my daily run....I am going to drive the family crazy. CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, no...toenail injuries can take forever to fully heal. I'm not sure that you'd need to take much time off, but I know that baby's gotta hurt. Black eye

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I remember being warned by mums and dads alike before I had kids about all the things involved with having children....the tiredness and lack of sleep, the temper tantrums, the rushing around etc etc. But I bet you were never warned that it could be hazardous to your health!!! Bad luck with the toe and I'm hearing you on the going crazy without your daily run. Can you get out on your bike instead, at least just to keep your cardio up? (I did that last year when I was having problem with my hips - at least I had some sort of exercise frenzy).
          I broke my toe two and a half weeks ago, also by being in a hurry to get dinner cooked. It was also a nice day and I wanted to get outside with the kids. I was in too much of a hurry going down the stairs and I slipped. I only fell down the last 2 or 3 steps but when I landed my right foot instantly swelled. My first thought was, "oh no I wont be able to run". So I got up and tried to act like it didn't happen Roll eyes Then I started to cook dinner and my toe started to get worse and worse. It was so painful that I called my husband and asked him to come home to take me to the doctors. Well my toe was broken and it all happened because I was in too much of a hurry. Well it's been 2 1/2 weeks and my toe is healing really fast. I was limping really bad for the first week and a half, but now I don't really have to limp when I am walking anymore. The swelling is gone and the bruising is just about gone. Well I felt so good on Sunday that I tried to run. I did 1 mile. My toe kinda hurt so I made myself stop. I didn't want to push it. Well I tried it again on Monday and ran 2 miles. My toe felt pretty good and the running did not make it any worse. When I got home my toe didn't swell or bruise again. So I took yesterday off and today I am going for 3 miles. If tonight goes okay, I will be back to my half marathon training (Zooma Annapolis, Maryland, June 1st). So even with a broken toe, I still healed pretty fast. Since you didn't break anything, you will be back to running in no time. You'll probably just need 2 to 3 days off. I know that sounds like forever when it comes to running, but it will go by fast. The 2 weeks that I couldn't run flew by. I rode the stationary bike and continued to lift weights. After the first week I was able to do the elliptical again. So I went from the bike, to the elliptical and now I am back to running. Good Luck... Gwin
          2007 Races: 5K: 25 minutes, 10 seconds 10K: 50 minutes, 31 seconds 2008 Races: Half Marathon: 1:55:45 (ZOOMA, Annapolis, MD) 10-Mile Race: 1:25:24 (Piney Point, MD) 2009 Races: Marathon: 4:44:22 (Piney Point, MD)

Misinformation Officer

I broke a bone in the top of my foot once by doing a long run with my MASSIVE VW key/alarm/clicker combo widget in a RoadID pouch on my shoe.... More like a stupid injury vs. stupid accident, but all of my injuries have been "User Error." I sprained my ankle (badly) tripping over my dog while he URGENTLY had to get a squirrel on a trail run. I caused tendonosis (it was a new term to me at the time) from over-active rowing on the erg while recovering from plantar fasciitis from wearing my shoes laced too loosely... The list goes on and on... Big grin
              while recovering from plantar fasciitis from wearing my shoes laced too loosely... Big grin
              Say it isn't so! Wearing your shoes too loosely causes PF?

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

I had a rather amusing accident durring a winter run on a dark evening. I was about 3/4 way through my run and approaching my usually crossing point at the traffic lights. I decided to cut between the stationary cars rather than go to the crossing point. With a bit of acceleration i darted between 2 cars then... THUD!!! I was face down on on the ground. What had happened? There was a tow rope between the 2 cars which, in my haste I had not seen. What were the cahances of that? I put pen to paper and relayed my story to Runners World magazine and managed to win a pair of Saucony running shoes. I wasnt badly hurt so and it was a nice suprise to win a pair of shoes.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

A couple of years ago, late in the season, it was getting dark out earlier and earlier. I was only running a 5K, but was pushing due to it getting dark so early, especially with so much tree coverage onthe paths. I was approaching the two mile marker, I reached over to hit my stop watch and tripped over the uneven surface of the asphalt and wwent down hard. Since my hand was on my watch, I wasn't able to even put my arm out to brace myself. I got right up and felt some pain in my leg, but said I'll run through it. I limped through the remainder of my run and was sure my leg was going to give me problems. Ended up that the leg was fine, just sore, but I have broken two ribs. Dr told me I was lucky they hadn't shifted during my run and done more damage. As you know, broken ribs can be painful and annoying and don't heal very well (takes forever) and like a broken toe, they don't do much for them except tape them up. It ended up ending my running season a little earlier than anticipated.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

protoplasm72

I dropped a heavy dresser on my big toe when I was helping someone move. It swelled up and turned black and eventually the nail peeled away weeks later. The day after it happened was a scheduled off a day thankfully. The next day was 8 miles of intervals on the track. I HTFU and ran through the pain. The first 3 miles were terrible but eventually my foot went numb and I could run with only a small limp. Pretty much every run for the the next 2 weeks were the same but I didn't miss any runs because of it.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson