North Pole Marathon anyone? (Read 776 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You'll ruin your knees!

IN!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

with global warming causing cracks in the icecap, the race could end up being a duathlon. Cool
      The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense. Jim Harrison

You'll ruin your knees!

Not yet, have until 1/31...they are asking for a lot of info, with emphasis on a blog/film documentary of training/prep. I am looking for an angle to tilt the judges my way... Any ideas? I'll send the photo of me in the cowboy hat next to Dean K in my 48 hour run...maybe play the crazy Texan??? I have a race this weekend (100K in Bandera, TX...), thought I might try to get it digitally documented for the application...not sure how it might work. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

This story reminds me of the guy in Outside Magazine who won an Arctic Marathon while trying to quit smoking: http://outside.away.com/outside/culture/200612/eric-hansen-quit-smoking-1.html

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Now that was a bath...

That's totally cool Lynn. Maybe you should point out that you already have a dedicated fanbase who would spread the word throughout the running communities of the world thus increasing their audience Wink I think that it's a great idea to get some film footage down to send in though. Whatever else they are looking for I would say that top of their list will be someone who will present well on camera. The media are shallow and entertainment sells more than achievement. I think the crazy Texan angle could really work! I have presented and been the subject of a few television documentaries over the years (don't ask - but suffice it to say that if a TV company wanted a white trash junkie with too many opinions to get in front of the camera - my pager bleeped) and one of the most important things was to be able to give good confident 'piece to camera' work with plenty of eye contact. It's amazing how difficult it can be to be interesting with off the cuff dialogue. The Director that I used to work with got me to do these sessions where he would sit me in a park with a camera and he would tell me to 'Say anything for the next hour'. It gave me confidence with media presentaion and also gave me material to draw on at later filming dates. I would try and get in some practice with the camera before you film and have at least one funny and prepared section that you can use as a wrap in the end - script it, learn it, practice it. It sounds like they aren't looking for someone that can confidently answer questions through interview but someone that can do their own diary documentation of the event so I would try and concentrate on doing something similar for the piece that you send in. I know you got the running thing down. So no point in offering any advice there! Good luck! Claire xxx
          • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
          • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
              Talk about a once in life time adventure!! Saturday, January 13, 2007 9,300 Euro = 12,002.5 US Dollar 9,300 US Dollar (USD) = 7,206.01 Euro (EUR) Maybe I'll start saving

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Extensive marathon experience. You should be a marathon or ultra-marathon veteran. This is not a marathon for beginners.
                Do you think one Baltimore marathon and one MarineCorps marathon qualifies as "extensive marathon experience"? Clowning around
                2009: BQ?

You'll ruin your knees!

I do not see you... http://www.yourrunning.com/north_pole_marathon_contest_applications
                  I have had issues with the site. I completed the application once already, got to the bottom and was encouraged to read the "terms and conditions" (or something like that), clicked on the linky, read the T&C (or whatever it was) and clicked to go back and lost all of my information. Was too pissed to do it again. Haven't had/taken the time to re-do the entire thing. That was the SECOND time I lost a lot of typing on that site (first was filling out the profile information) when basically the same thing happened. It has turned out to be a waste of time so far. Not sure I will get back to it by the deadline! Confused Angry Lynn B

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have had issues with the site. I completed the application once already, got to the bottom and was encouraged to read the "terms and conditions" (or something like that), clicked on the linky, read the T&C (or whatever it was) and clicked to go back and lost all of my information. Was too pissed to do it again. Haven't had/taken the time to re-do the entire thing. That was the SECOND time I lost a lot of typing on that site (first was filling out the profile information) when basically the same thing happened. It has turned out to be a waste of time so far. Not sure I will get back to it by the deadline! Confused Angry Lynn B
                    Ouch, that sucks. I would type it all into microsoft word or something so you do not need to retype it. You could possibly even email them the word file so that you do not need to use their website since it has now failed you.

You'll ruin your knees!

That's the plan IF I get back to it...